Iowa High School Football Playoffs

BillyClone

Mar 20, 2006
Ankeny IA
Based on these comments, I am assuming that Dowling won their 7th title in a row. If this is true then that is all the evidence that you need to know that a change is needed in Iowa high school athletics.

What kind of change? A change to all Iowa high school athletics? What are you talking about?

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Based on these comments, I am assuming that Dowling won their 7th title in a row. If this is true then that is all the evidence that you need to know that a change is needed in Iowa high school athletics.

The only change I see that can take place at the top level is for other teams to get better. It’s Iowa HS football, it just takes one stud QB or RB to come through not at Dowling and then that team is the best team for a few years. HS sports in Iowa are just boring. Football isn’t very competitive, no shot clock in basketball. It’s brutal.

• Agree
Reactions: Macloney

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
Well at least we shouldn't have to here the bull **** about all this kids have been in the Dowling pipeline since they were in grade school anymore. Because it wasn't true then and it obviously isn't true now.

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
The only change I see that can take place at the top level is for other teams to get better. It’s Iowa HS football, it just takes one stud QB or RB to come through not at Dowling and then that team is the best team for a few years. HS sports in Iowa are just boring. Football isn’t very competitive, no shot clock in basketball. It’s brutal.

if that’s all it took it probably would have happened I’m the last 7 years.

TheJackWePack5

Oct 2, 2011
Ankeny, IA.
The thing is if a stud QB or RB comes through, he ends up a Dowling.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
Something that takes away the obvious advantage that private high schools have over public high schools and evens the playing field a little bit.

My kids go to DMC. They moved from 1A to 2A in football last year. The 1A district they were in was much tougher than the 2A they were in the last two seasons. And this year, with PCM being down our district overall was very weak. We made the playoffs and were summarily stomped by Green County in the first game. Not all private schools have an "obvious" advantage.

If you are speaking only of Dowling.....they don't have to recruit anymore. Kids want to play there. In today's "me" culture....now more than ever. What are you going to do.....tell them they can't because it's "not fair"? Not fair to who? There are more than enough bodies in any and all of the DSM area high schools. They need to be motivated to come out and be the best they can be. I think you already see some of that going on at Roosevelt.

This government (local or otherwise) intervention to make things "fair" based on knocking down the private sector never works. Because what is "fair' to one person is not to another. Who are we to tell someone where they can and cannot go based purely on the feelings of the loser? Why always dictate based on the lowest common denominator? If you or anyone can convince me that CMC is building ISU football with a roster full of private school recruits.......I will listen. Until then....buck up public schools and be the best you can be. It's not like you don't have the money......i.e. $15 mil for multi-purpose field by Drake.

• Funny
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Macloney

Feb 28, 2014
Up Nort
My kids go to DMC. They moved from 1A to 2A in football last year. The 1A district they were in was much tougher than the 2A they were in the last two seasons. And this year, with PCM being down our district overall was very weak. We made the playoffs and were summarily stomped by Green County in the first game. Not all private schools have an "obvious" advantage.

If you are speaking only of Dowling.....they don't have to recruit anymore. Kids want to play there. In today's "me" culture....now more than ever. What are you going to do.....tell them they can't because it's "not fair"? Not fair to who? There are more than enough bodies in any and all of the DSM area high schools. They need to be motivated to come out and be the best they can be. I think you already see some of that going on at Roosevelt.

This government (local or otherwise) intervention to make things "fair" based on knocking down the private sector never works. Because what is "fair' to one person is not to another. Who are we to tell someone where they can and cannot go based purely on the feelings of the loser? Why always dictate based on the lowest common denominator? If you or anyone can convince me that CMC is building ISU football with a roster full of private school recruits.......I will listen. Until then....buck up public schools and be the best you can be. It's not like you don't have the money......i.e. $15 mil for multi-purpose field by Drake.

Maybe the public schools, with their intervention, should just not let private schools play in their leagues?

Then the private schools could "buck up" and have their own sports, completely separate from the "government " schools.

So, you did nothing to change my opinion and probably made your side look worse in this argument.

• Winner
Reactions: Cat Stevens

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
Bumping this thread as the 8 player semi final this morning is going on 4 hours long with nearly 1500 yards of total offense and a current score of 108-86. Game is almost over.