Iowa HS State Wrestling Tournament

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
Can’t really boot him out unless he’s definitely directing kids away. He has nearly all the high major recruits in the state wrestling for him.

• Agree
Reactions: csteve

WhizzerClone

Feb 20, 2020
I thought he would go to tOSU, but no one should be shocked he didn't choose here. Even though he was considering multiple offers, I bet he was juggling his top two (Iowa and tOSU) for some time now. I think childhood dreams and Cullan Schriever have a lot more to do with Drake going to Iowa than Sebolt...

• Agree
Reactions: CyGold and buf87

NEICyFan

Feb 10, 2011
Ayala was never coming here and Sebolt had nothing to do with it. We weren't in the top 3 let alone runner up.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
Dang... I'm bummed. However... Facts are none of our coaches were even here when Sebolt was at ISU... And some of you guys want to throw Sebolt and arguably the best club in the state out? Are you really that shocked when a blue chip 125 recruit takes the opportunity to go train with a unmentionable guy who's name rhymes with Flee? Plus, it sounds like he has been a life-long bumble bee fan and they are pretty good right now if you haven't heard. I'm really hoping that Reeves (or possibly Cabanban) can make a big jump to take over 125 in two years.

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011
If that’s the case, what’s the benefit for ISU to let Sebolt use the room? Bigger than just Ayala, he’s just the most recent.

CyGold

Mar 25, 2015
If that’s the case, what’s the benefit for ISU to let Sebolt use the room? Bigger than just Ayala, he’s just the most recent.

You'd seriously kick him and the club out for this? ROTFL... I'm sure that would help ISU recruiting efforts (sarcasm). Let's piss off the Davidson coaches, Strittmatter, St. Paris Graham, and Blair Academy and all of the other top wrestling clubs/schools while we're at it.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
You'd seriously kick him and the club out for this? ROTFL... I'm sure that would help ISU recruiting efforts (sarcasm). Let's piss off the Davidson coaches, Strittmatter, St. Paris Graham, and Blair Academy and all of the other top wrestling clubs/schools while we're at it.

You would think somewhere down the line that we would even get a walk on from sebolt. Both him and his boss wrestled at ISU. Think there would be something there. Schriever was life long Iowa fan so no surprise there. Never was sure about Ayala though.

azchief32

Dec 10, 2016
Schrievers and Rathjen were the first commits to Iowa from Sebolt. Now Ayala. They have had one to tOSU, Minne and SDSU each. All four of the Iowa recruits grew up big fans of the Hawks. I don't think Sebolt is steering anybody...I think Iowa's success, being buddies with each other, and having very solid mentors in Spencer Lee, Gilman, Clark etc. I'll admit...I was worried about tOSU. Might need to bring in a guy like Reece Humphrey or somebody to recruit.

ISU needs that one or two guys that they can point to...unfortunately, Carr didn't get his shot this year. As long as rival coaches can say that Dresser coached guys don't win titles, it's an uphill battle...especially from where they had to start.

losinglion100

Jan 11, 2018
David Carr.

Absolutely I'd start looking at other options. Raised my eyebrows when they let him in the door in the first place. Gave it a shot because all these studs were going to start rolling into the program...Zero...not even a walk on.

Not pissing off the others you mentioned. Now that would be stupid....Just saying time to open the doors to other clubs or maybe redevelop HS/JH club affiliated with Cyclones.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Absolutely I'd start looking at other options. Raised my eyebrows when they let him in the door in the first place. Gave it a shot because all these studs were going to start rolling into the program...Zero...not even a walk on.

Not pissing off the others you mentioned. Now that would be stupid....Just saying time to open the doors to other clubs or maybe redevelop HS/JH club affiliated with Cyclones.

I was thinking I heard he even has free use of the facilities for his practice, may have heard wrong, but that is what was said

• Informative
Reactions: losinglion100

BikeSkiClone

Jul 25, 2014
So question for someone more in the know......is there anyone else on Iowa's roster or incoming classes who are near Ayala and Schriever at 125/133? Has Schriever wrestled Teasdale? Because Ayala and Schriever seems like a pretty solid 1-2 punch for two years from now after Lee and DeSanto graduate, especially since Schriever will have a redshirt year.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012

This is absolutely amusing!!! Who wouldn’t wan’t the top club in the state practicing in our room. If you think that the SWA is the problem with us not landing the top instate talent then you definitely have your head in the sand.

• Winner
Reactions: Sturge34

Stevetasker

Jun 25, 2011

Can’t really boot him out unless he’s definitely directing kids away. He has nearly all the high major recruits in the state wrestling for him.

As you can see, I clearly didn’t just say throw him out.

Last edited:

losinglion100

Jan 11, 2018
This is absolutely amusing!!! Who wouldn’t wan’t the top club in the state practicing in our room. If you think that the SWA is the problem with us not landing the top instate talent then you definitely have your head in the sand.

Thats amusing. Pretty sure I do not. The idea in bringing him in was to actually land those kids(most would assume). Hasn't materialized. Don't know why. Just haven't seen...well...anything. Time to look at different options.

He doesn't have to pay? That surprises me.

ACSlater

Nov 28, 2012
Thats amusing. Pretty sure I do not. The idea in bringing him in was to actually land those kids(most would assume). Hasn't materialized. Don't know why. Just haven't seen...well...anything. Time to look at different options.

He doesn't have to pay? That surprises me.

The bigger question is why isn’t our staff forming relationships with these kids.

Excuses I’ve seen... DSJ don’t have social media, Dresser has hard time relating to these kids (by his own omission), and metcalf I have not seen nor heard any negative comments besides the zadick debacle.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron