Iowa State has sold only 11,000 tickets

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
What is the real point of this game being in KC? Doesnt look like the fans are too excited about going.

CyPride

Oct 12, 2008
What is the real point of this game being in KC? Doesnt look like the fans are too excited about going.

shows the sad state of our athletic department. arrowhead is paying us to have a home game in their stadium. why give up a home game - that is just beyond me - the only reason is a little cash infusion.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
shows the sad state of our athletic department. arrowhead is paying us to have a home game in their stadium. why give up a home game - that is just beyond me - the only reason is a little cash infusion.

Yes, so sad. No school that is successful would ever hold its conference games at a neutral site in between both schools. :jimlad:

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Yes, so sad. No school that is successful would ever hold its conference games at a neutral site in between both schools. :jimlad:

Why take a home game away from the fans? In this economy why move a game to KC. It is clear the KC fans dont care. It is one less home game, one less game with home field advantage for a team that is fighting to get 6 wins. It makes it hard for me to want to go when the hotel rooms rates are jacked up because it is the same weekend as the race, heck are there even rooms in KC for the weekend. Then I would have to figure out what I am goign to do with my kids. Then I would have to drive 3 hours to see 2 average FB teams play.

Benny34

Nov 29, 2007
Why take a home game away from the fans? In this economy why move a game to KC. It is clear the KC fans dont care. It is one less home game, one less game with home field advantage for a team that is fighting to get 6 wins. It makes it hard for me to want to go when the hotel rooms rates are jacked up because it is the same weekend as the race, heck are there even rooms in KC for the weekend. Then I would have to figure out what I am goign to do with my kids. Then I would have to drive 3 hours to see 2 average FB teams play.

Maybe in this economy guaranteed money from Arrowhead is a good thing? There are not too many guarantees these days when it comes to financials...

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
Maybe in this economy guaranteed money from Arrowhead is a good thing? There are not too many guarantees these days when it comes to financials...

How much are they getting paid vs what they would if they had a home game?

cstrunk

Mar 21, 2006
Longview, TX

I understand the financial strain it may put on some families. However, I didn't think ISU fans, who are so proud of how they stick with their team through thick and thin, would only be able to manage 11,000 fans for a game in KC.

Pony up, get those kids up early, put 'em in the car for a 3-4 hour car ride, tailgate for a couple hours, watch the Cyclones go 4-1, then head home. Sure it's a long day if you make it a one-day affair, but certainly do-able. And if you want ISU to be selected for good bowl games in the future... more fans need to do it.

Mr Janny

Welcome to the Office of Secret Intelligence
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
Mar 27, 2006

the article says we get at least $800,000 this year and $950,000 next year, plus a portion of the gate. It also says that for a normal home game we bring in approx $1 million, so we're already significantly in the black for the deal, not counting whatever the gate is.

Reactions: kingcy

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny

10-15k walkup tickets at a home game..(assuming $50\ticket) 500-750k, plus concession sales on those. (remaining tickets are season tickets revenue doesnt change if the game is here or there)
minus all the costs of gameday operations, security, etc.

vs
1.8 million over 2 years.

Its a pretty easy decision financially.

Also, it seems like there are a lot of ISU alums in the KC area that will love having the team down there again. I think a lot of ISU fans may not get their tickets through the ISU ticket office and could just be buying them direct. This also gives our fans a chance at a bowl-like game that gives an excuse to travel, which with not having had a bowl in awhile, is a good thing.

kingcy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 16, 2006
Menlo, Iowa
I understand the financial strain it may put on some families. However, I didn't think ISU fans, who are so proud of how they stick with their team through thick and thin, would only be able to manage 11,000 fans for a game in KC.

Pony up, get those kids up early, put 'em in the car for a 3-4 hour car ride, tailgate for a couple hours, watch the Cyclones go 4-1, then head home. Sure it's a long day if you make it a one-day affair, but certainly do-able. And if you want ISU to be selected for good bowl games in the future... more fans need to do it.

Spending the day at a football game with my kids isnt what I call a family event. I would get no enjoyment out of the game with 2 kids under 5 with me. I guess I chose to spend my money elsewhere than KC this time around. I give enough and support ISU enough already I dont need to spend more on this.

Also, it seems like there are a lot of ISU alums in the KC area that will love having the team down there again. I think a lot of ISU fans may not get their tickets through the ISU ticket office and could just be buying them direct. This also gives our fans a chance at a bowl-like game that gives an excuse to travel, which with not having had a bowl in awhile, is a good thing.

Why havnt the ISU Alum in KC baught the tickets? Once you move away you do lose touch with the team and it makes it worse when the team hasnt been good for a few years.

Reactions: Knownothing

Jack & Hilton

Nov 30, 2007
People know that this game will not be sold out so there is no rush to get tickets through ISU. They're making it easy on themselves and walking up to Arrowhead stadium and buying tickets on Saturday. That's what I plan to do anyway, I don't want to pay extra fees and deal with the internet or a ticket person over the phone.

Go I-State!

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
I would have gone to this game if it was in Ames. I've got to fly to DesMoines for a wedding this weekend and if the game was in Ames I could of arranged it, but since it's in KC there is no way I can go.

jaretac

Nov 26, 2006
Frigidaire
One advantage about this is if we go to a bowl game later, playing this game on a neutral site may provide valuable experience since I don't believe that anyone on the team has ever been to a bowl.

superfan

Oct 8, 2006
League City, TX
People know that this game will not be sold out so there is no rush to get tickets through ISU. They're making it easy on themselves and walking up to Arrowhead stadium and buying tickets on Saturday. That's what I plan to do anyway, I don't want to pay extra fees and deal with the internet or a ticket person over the phone.

Go I-State!

More importantly, why buy through ISU if you're not a big donor? Assuming the ISU Athletic Department uses the same ranking system with these tickets as they do with season/away game tickets, lower-level donors would get stuck with crappy seats. Go through Ticketmaster, seat quality may VASTLY improve. I guarantee I don't get the seats I'll be standing in front of (30 yard line, first 5 rows or so) going through ISU.

anticyclonic

Mar 8, 2007
Lake Rathbun
10-15k walkup tickets at a home game..(assuming $50\ticket) 500-750k, plus concession sales on those. (remaining tickets are season tickets revenue doesnt change if the game is here or there)
minus all the costs of gameday operations, security, etc.

vs
1.8 million over 2 years.

Its a pretty easy decision financially.

The KC thing was a terrible decision from the beginning. I would rather have 50,000+ at our game here Saturday and much more assured of a fourth win then 11,000 in KC and probably less than 50% chance of winning the game, it is a home game for KSU.

wesley_w

Oct 23, 2006
I got tickets through ticketmaster and I know of a number of other people that did the same.