Iowa State Uniform Discussions

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
What about a white outline on the numbers? Or white numbers with yellow outline?

This is my wish also.
What is by far the sharpest looking color? White. It's not even close. Look how much everyone loves our white uniforms.

So why not have some of it in our home cardinal uniforms? I think that's what I like the most about Minny's uniforms. They really use white in everything, and it looks sharp IMO.

As an example, let's look at GB's home uniform jersey. How much worse would this look with just solid yellow numbers instead of white? That would be awful.

If we had white numbers, or even white trim around gold numbers, there would have to be some other obvious changes as well to make it look good. For instance, probably some white piping somewhere on the shoulders or sleeves, some gold and white stripes or something on the cardinal pants, and maybe also some gold and white stripes down the middle of the helmet too, in order to tie it together.

No way all of that happens, I know, so we're stuck with what we have. Maybe we could at least add a gold helmet, gold pants, and maybe some kind of striping on pants to tie in with jersey?
A few people wanted to see what our numbers might look like with white added.
Cy Uniforms 2018  xq18a Wht GldWhtTrim WhtGoldTrimNumb.jpg

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
If they do stay with the black collar, perhaps they would consider this. I redesigned this black 2-tone example, simplifying it even more. It is just about the exact same one from the current gray jersey, so it has mostly gray in it, some black. I think it looks better than the all-black. The lighter gray (w/ some black) is a little easier on the eye.

This would not eliminate the "black" collar but I would be very happy w/ it. And they already have it on the gray jersey; would just need to order them up for the cardinal jerseys.

Before / After
Cy Uniforms 2019  z1a - r r r  RedChrHel StdISt RedSocks AllBlkCollCY.jpg Cy Uniforms 2019  a1a - r r r  RedChrHel StdISt RedSocks BlkCol4CY.jpg Black jersey blk collar.png

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
A few people wanted to see what our numbers might look like with white added.
View attachment 61886

It'd require extra steps, but I'd have to see the white numbers with the "twister" gap included.

Also, I think the only place white numerals would be "necessary" is with the white-cardinal-white combo.

As I've said, the main template they developed works, but isn't able to cover all combinations as effectively as it could. Yeah, it'd require more expense to have tweaked versions of jerseys, pants, etc. Those could be added gradually, I guess. I'm not certain that'll happen. (I won't *expect* it).

Dress Slacks

Jan 7, 2018
Overland Park, KS
Well, alrighty then. If we're going to be voicing our brutally honest opinions.... this is how you do a mock up of possible uniforms.....

isu_football_side_concept19-jpg.56165

Not like this.....

35816-e7d9f5690749637f63d21bb742663fc0.jpg

Just my opinion. I'm sure there are others that like it.

That’s bad ass.

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
Does anyone know are our current unis a "three year set", where nothing changes until a more major update, or is it something that will basically look the same for a couple years, but with minor changes possible/likely (e.g pant stripes, collars, etc) each year?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Does anyone know are our current unis a "three year set", where nothing changes until a more major update, or is it something that will basically look the same for a couple years, but with minor changes possible/likely (e.g pant stripes, collars, etc) each year?
I dont know, but I would guess that is the case.
But we could see them add an extra set added, ie. a gold set, an alternate set, or an alternate helmet or other accessories, while the current main sets would not change.
That is just my opinion/educated guess though.

• Agree
Reactions: k123

Dandy

Future CF Mod
Oct 11, 2012
Western Iowa
This will be the look, with potential minor tweaks, as long as Campbell is here. That is my guess. That and Nike doesn't care about us at all. We should just be happy we aren't USC Jr anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: k123

k123

Sep 14, 2011
Iowa
This will be the look, with potential minor tweaks, as long as Campbell is here. That is my guess. That and Nike doesn't care about us at all. We should just be happy we aren't USC Jr anymore.

I agree, I guess I should have phrased a bit differently: Is there even a possibility of any of the tweaks we discuss (collars, pant stripes, aside from maybe adding gold jersey/pants)? Do they actually get new pants each year that could change? Or do they recycle (the pants at least)?

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
I liked the gold numbers, white trim some yes, but still like what we have already better, i.,e., the gold numbers w/ dark red trim. It is just simpler and I like the 'blue collar' (no pun intended!!) look of the gold numbers and no white accent.

However, there is some white here and there on this example. I think it looks great. Will they do it? Probably not.
Cy Uniforms 2019 d1 - r r r  RedChrHel RedSocksRedCol6CY.png

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Wondered the same. I'm thinking at least 2 years before they make any changes to existing uniform, just for monetary reasons alone. Do not know if they have a contract w/ Nike for 2, 3, 4 years or other.

I would think they could add sets if they wanted, any time.

Also, if they wanted to add a gold set for example, and didn't want to add a 5th helmet, they could take the chrome red one and have it repainted gold. This is what I hope they do if they decide to add a gold set.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The black collar is probably here to stay. Changing it to a 2-tone black, as in our present gray jersey is probably my favorite, best recommendation. Here it is w/ gold/white name-plate in back and a bit of white in socks, so a little different than what already posted.. Cy Uniforms 2019  e1a - r r r  RedChrHel RedSocksw BlkCol5CY.jpg
Of course it goes very well w/ black.
Cy Uniforms 2019  e5a - b r b  BlkChrHelRedface RedSocksw BlkCol5CY.jpg

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
My number 2 choice for current black collar replacement is this. I modified it with some more black in the rear. Gold/white player name, some white in collar front, and socks or elsewhere. Cy Uniforms 2019 d1a - r r r  RedChrHel RedSocksw RedCol7CY .jpg It goes pretty well w/ black also, but not as well as the black collar.
Cy Uniforms 2019  d5a - b r b  BlkChrHelRedface RedSocksw RedCol7CY.jpg

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
And the black collar 2-tone in w/c/w. This again illustrates a possible black collar change which would be fairly easy, and the white pant stripe.
Cy Uniforms 2019  e9a  - w r w  StdIStReface RedSocksw BlkCol5CY.jpg

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron