Is This Longhorn Sarcasm?

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
Right. Those schools slunk out of the SWC swathed in scandal. When the B12 was formed the north division was the dominate division. The B12 legitimized UT again and the recruiting in-state took off. Add Mack Brown and away they go. Their best seasons in decades were built out of the lift from the B12. They benefited greatly and then forgot this when they looked at how other schools have benefited. And yes we benefited from UT.
The Big 8 didn't add Texas as a "rescue" or "charity case" - we saw the revenue that adding them would give ISU and the others.

StPaulCyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 9, 2008
Duh!
The Big 8 didn't add Texas as a "rescue" or "charity case" - we saw the revenue that adding them would give ISU and the others.
Absolutely, the B8 needed the merger, but UT acts like they came in as the 2005 UT. The SWC imploded for a reason. The B12 was a mutually beneficial marriage of convenience, that wouldn’t last. We agreed to more money to UT, OU, NU and A&M for a reason and UT used it for a comeback.

Reactions: RezClone

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Are you crazy? It’s all about the money and we benefited from them. I don’t like the article…But we collected money on their behalf. So UT did benefit ISU Football and Basketball.

they also took money from everyone else. They also kept all of their tier 3 money. ISU couldn't. They can blow me.

norcalcy

Oct 20, 2010
Absolutely, the B8 needed the merger, but UT acts like they came in as the 2005 UT. The SWC imploded for a reason. The B12 was a mutually beneficial marriage of convenience, that wouldn’t last. We agreed to more money to UT, OU, NU and A&M for a reason and UT used it for a comeback.
The Longhorn juggernaut carried a stellar .659 winning percentage over the final 20 years of the SWC. That was impressive compared to the .575 over the last 10 years in the SWC.

Reactions: StPaulCyclone

cyclonemagic

Nov 26, 2006
Texas
The question was, "Is this Longhorn Sarcasm?" No, it definitely was not intended as sarcasm. This is exactly how Texas University, Longhorn AD, and fanbase think about the various universities that were their conference partners in the Big 12 and SW conferences -- the two conferences that they blew up. The article should be required reading for Vanderbilt, Mississippi, and Mississippi State, South Carolina, etc. That way, they know what they are getting into before they "vote" on admitting Texas into the conference. I would have mentioned Missouri and Arkansas, but they already know.

ISU and other conference schools have benefited financially from TX (and OU). Having two large recognized brands was a good thing for the conference because it enabled each school to build better facilities and field better teams. This gave the B12 better exposure and allowed its member schools to do well in bowl games and the NCAA tournament. But let's be honest, Texas got to keep their Longhorn network and third-tier rights. That and their big donors made Texas the richest program in the country. And yet they always want more money and claim their conference partners are holding them back. So much for comradery, traditions, and rivalries!

Every conference has a couple of larger and more wealthy universities (kind of like anchor stores in large malls). I doubt Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oregon, Clemson, etc. would publish such garbage about their conference members and demand to be appreciated. Most conferences have equal revenue agreements for all revenues, including third-tier rights.

Texas University is very insecure and narcissistic. They feel the need to demand respect to feel in control. I feel this throughout the article I just read. Instead, they should attempt to command respect. To demand respect is to tell others, “You will respect me!” or otherwise threaten or punish or demean others who do not act according to your wishes (leave the conference because the conference partners are dragging them down). To command respect is to have others observe and admire your actions of their own volition.

I wish the SEC the best of luck with Texas. Their gonna need it!

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Does this article need a jimlad? Because I don’t remember UT football or basketball helping out ISU football or hoops at all.

Nothing like talking to yourself about how good and entitled you are and have always been. Yeah great team player, big brother and conference mate.

Texas can go diddle itself. I suppose it can have all the money it can get, but money ain't everything and what goes around comes around. Karma may come knockin.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
The question was, "Is this Longhorn Sarcasm?" No, it definitely was not intended as sarcasm. This is exactly how Texas University, Longhorn AD, and fanbase think about the various universities that were their conference partners in the Big 12 and SW conferences -- the two conferences that they blew up. The article should be required reading for Vanderbilt, Mississippi, and Mississippi State, South Carolina, etc. That way, they know what they are getting into before they "vote" on admitting Texas into the conference. I would have mentioned Missouri and Arkansas, but they already know.

ISU and other conference schools have benefited financially from TX (and OU). Having two large recognized brands was a good thing for the conference because it enabled each school to build better facilities and field better teams. This gave the B12 better exposure and allowed its member schools to do well in bowl games and the NCAA tournament. But let's be honest, Texas got to keep their Longhorn network and third-tier rights. That and their big donors made Texas the richest program in the country. And yet they always want more money and claim their conference partners are holding them back. So much for comradery, traditions, and rivalries!

Every conference has a couple of larger and more wealthy universities (kind of like anchor stores in large malls). I doubt Ohio State, Michigan, USC, Oregon, Clemson, etc. would publish such garbage about their conference members and demand to be appreciated. Most conferences have equal revenue agreements for all revenues, including third-tier rights.

Texas University is very insecure and narcissistic. They feel the need to demand respect to feel in control. I feel this throughout the article I just read. Instead, they should attempt to command respect. To demand respect is to tell others, “You will respect me!” or otherwise threaten or punish or demean others who do not act according to your wishes (leave the conference because the conference partners are dragging them down). To command respect is to have others observe and admire your actions of their own volition.

Perfectly stated!! I was agreeing with you and cheering your post. Each paragraph got better and more in depth, more descriptive of the Texas hubris, narcissism and sense of entitlement.

And so true, they could have had my respect so many times, but every time it seems, they fail. They haven't earned it. This time is no different.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010

That's all the rage these days.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
Good grief. They have been part of 2 failed conferences and to not see the root is arrogant and narcissistic. They wanna throw their weight around like they are Alabama or Notre Dame. I am going to enjoy them being the SEC door mat, hell they haven't been relevant since Colt McCoy.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
Some school's fans look forward to bowl season, others get most excited about March madness, but I swear UT is the only one that gets most excited when the annual athletic department revenue lists are released.

CyLyte2

Dec 3, 2020
We PAID Texas to not leave us the last time. I hope we're done being some schools *****.

CoachHines3

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 29, 2019
Are you crazy? It’s all about the money and we benefited from them. I don’t like the article…But we collected money on their behalf. So UT did benefit ISU Football and Basketball.

I'll put my neck out there..

I tend to agree with you to an extent.

JP even said himself.. with OU/TX we are the Mountain West conference.

I don't like the way the worded it or phrased it and he could have done a way better job writing the article not like a d*ck

Reactions: I@ST1

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
It is unrealistic to think that we haven't benefitted from having UT (and, to a lesser extent, OU) in the conference. We absolutely have benefitted from the national exposure, $$, and strength of schedule. There were likely some recruiting advantages to playing them on national TV. We just have benefitted, and they are probably right that (other than this year) our football team's record has remained somewhat static.

It is also unrealistic for them to think that they haven't benefitted from this marriage. They were allowed to be a standout, which would not have happened in a conference loaded with big guns. Their record and recruiting position have been strengthened, they were able to break away and start the Longhorn Network. They made more money off of the deal than we did by becoming the big dog. I strongly agree that I'm curious how they will deal with being a smaller fish in a bigger pond - that is historically not a Texan's strong suit.

So, to answer the original question - no, I don't think that they're being sarcastic with this article. And it's probably unrealistic and "little brother" to think they haven't helped us out a ton. But it's also unrealistic and arrogant of them to think the Big 12 hasn't helped them out.

Althetuna

Ducky was the best dog.
SuperFanatic
Jul 7, 2012
Somewhere in the Minneapolis Area
Here's what Texas fans don't get that ISU fans do. Our team doesn't have to compete for national championships on a regular basis for us to love them. Yes, Texas is bigger and has more money but at the end of the day is it better? Based on that article; an article brimming with self-entitlement and hubris but completely lacking self-awareness, I said say no.

Having wealth, success, and power is enjoyable and ego-inflating but having character is more important. That is what The University of Texas lacks, as proven by their actions the last six months.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Texas benefitted more... with the network they were allowed to have. Yet, they underachieved despite a huge financial advantage. They truly are a disappointment and their fans know it. They are all bark and no bite.