It might be a hawkeye state but it is a Cyclone (Fanatic) Nation

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008
Re: It might be a hawkeye state but it is a Cyclone Nation

I guarantee the whole Cyclone State campaign bothers Iowa fans a lot more than someone associating the actual state nickname with the UofI bothering State fans.

K, keep telling yourself that. It didn't bother you a few years ago when the anchor on SportCenter referred to it as The Hawkeye State while calling the highlights of the ISU/Mizzou game to win the Big 12 North?

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008

Iowa being called "The Hawkeye State" doesn't **** me off. What pisses me off is Iowa fans wearing gold shirts with "The Hawkeye State" in black print thinking that because they adopted the school's nickname as their nickname it makes them special or something.

So it does bother you? I mean, the state's nickname has nothing to do with the University of Iowa, why does it bother you if a couple UI students have the state's nickname on a gold shirt?

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

K, keep telling yourself that. It didn't bother you a few years ago when the anchor on SportCenter referred to it as The Hawkeye State while calling the highlights of the ISU/Mizzou game to win the Big 12 North?

? Nope, that's the state's nickname. Which comes from either a book by James Fenimore Cooper or Chief Black Hawk.

And I was too busy slurring insults and hurling empty beer cans at the screen that game to listen to whatever current hack was talking at me at the time thank you.

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008

? Nope, that's the state's nickname.

LOL, ok buddy! Keep lying to yourself. I can just imagine the outrage if ISU hosted College Gameday only to have Brent Musburger proclaim to the nation, "YOU ARE LOOKING LIVE AT THE HAWKEYE STATE..." Yeah, that wouldn't bother any Cyclone fans at all. BS

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

So it does bother you? I mean, the state's nickname has nothing to do with the University of Iowa, why does it bother you if a couple UI students have the state's nickname on a gold shirt?

Iowa being called "The Hawkeye State" doesn't bother me. People acting like God's gift to mankind because they ripped their nickname off of the state's nickname does bother me.

Let me clarify:
-Iowa being nicknamed "The Hawkeye State" doesn't bother me.
-U of Iowa adopting the nickname "Hawkeyes" doesn't bother me.
-Idiot fans that think that because the team that they cheer for is the "Hawkeyes" somehow makes them better than anyone else in the state pisses me off.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

LOL, ok buddy! Keep lying to yourself. I can just imagine the outrage if ISU hosted College Gameday only to have Brent Musburger proclaim to the nation, "YOU ARE LOOKING LIVE AT THE HAWKEYE STATE..." Yeah, that wouldn't bother any Cyclone fans at all. BS

Where did I say it doesn't bother Cyclone fans? It doesn't bother me that that's the state's nickname and the formerly known as Cornhuskers couldn't find anything better to call themselves. I didn't realize I was the voice of the fanbase (good thing you aren't for yours either huh)

I originally said the Cyclone State campaign bothers Iowa fans more than Iowa fans believing the nickname has anything to do with their team bothers State fans.

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597

There was no connection initially, but whenever you hear "The Hawkeye State" now, the first thing you think about is the Iowa Hawkeyes. If this wasn't the case, it wouldn't get under the skin of ISU fans everytime someone calls it The Hawkeye State.

Speak for yourself.

leathstock.bmp
blackhawk2.jpg

DJK15

Apr 17, 2008

I originally said the Cyclone State campaign bothers Iowa fans more than Iowa fans believing the nickname has anything to do with their team bothers State fans.

You're wrong, and Jamie Pollard proved it with his childish billboard. Everytime someone mentions The Hawkeye State it drive ISU fans batty. I guess you're just the exception to the rule.

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

And for the record, yes I would boo in an attempt to get him to say "Er, I mean the Cyclone State", because it would be funny.

Last I checked Gameday isn't exactly serious business

Bader

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 25, 2007
Ankeny

You're wrong, and Jamie Pollard proved it with his childish billboard. Everytime someone mentions The Hawkeye State it drive ISU fans batty. I guess you're just the exception to the rule.

Jamie put that billboard up to get people to talk about Iowa State in dead periods of college sports. It worked, and continues to.

1100011CS

Oct 5, 2007
Marshalltown

Speaking of getting under the other fan bases skin:biglaugh:

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale

It does drive me batty to hear hawkeye state. When that phrase is used I immediately get lumped into the same category as the low character HPSE that is Captain freerents. Yes that does irritate me.

I guess when a dissproportionate amount of nebraska students begin to attend ISU, maybe it will change and officially become the Cyclone state.

ribsnwhiskey

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 6, 2009

Yeah...it's pretty stupid. Not enough pull to make Iowa the Cyclone State, but the entire US is a Cyclone Nation...? :eek:

STFU tool bag

JustRedman

Jul 10, 2009
Gilbert

Childish billboard?!?!
I suppose ISU should just accept that Story County is the only county that should have Cyclone fans. If UNI posted a billboard outside of Ames after the '07 fb game I wouldn't call it childish. But that is the difference, most UofI fans are so threatened by the thought of Cyclones growing in popularity that they must call it names like "childish" and "classless" (a friend of mine).
Kinda like the PINK LOCKER ROOMS AT KINNICK!!!! That was rediculous. What a joke. That was put in place to get an edge over the visiting team. The billboard was put there to maybe, I don't know, get a recruit to consider ISU. To win a fan or two over. To gain more publicity on a very busy interstate system. God forbid ISU gets attention outside of Ames.
You are a tool. I'm going to go play pick-up-sticks with all the other children in Story County. You go right on back to running minorities out of your community. Once one moves in, there are more to follow.

ICCYFAN

Sep 6, 2006
Iowa City
Blasphemy! Bow down right now and pay homage to the pink locker room. Declare eternal hatred for the Illini WR who hates Iowa because of the pink locker room. The pink locker room was Hayden Fry's idea, so it has to be a good one. I think he wrote about it in his best seller, "I'm gonna have me a High Porch Picnic". /rolleyes/

I'm with you, Redman. How can they still be complaining about the billboard when they've had the stupidest "edge" in all of college football for 20+ years...

Last edited: