Joshua Jefferson has committed to Iowa State

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
They won't go anywhere. Being on the court with us will be a badge of honor, because we are Iowa State.
Good point. I fully respect John Candy for attempting to eat the 96er.

But like him, no other team will make it through our gristle.

steak.gif

StLouisClone

Apr 16, 2006
St. Louis
Jefferson and Momcilovich both have great footwork with their back to the basket. Jefferson can shoot a baby hook with either hand. Momcilovich has the sweet fade away. I don't think ISU has ever had 2 forwards with their skill set on the same team. Maybe Royce White and Melvin Ejim were comparable, but they weren't as solid defensively.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I agree we're very much a top 5 team but saying we have top 5 talent seems like a stretch.

TJs teams are likely always going to be sum is greater than the individual pieces. Is there a sure fire 1st round pick? Back around 2000 I remember seeing a FF team needs 2 first round picks which they had. To me we're the ultimate in team.

Chitowncy

SuperFanatic
Jan 14, 2009
Ames

The lineup of Lipsey / Gilbert / Watson / Jefferson / Jackson will likely be the best defensive lineup we've ever put on the floor.

Better defensive lineup than with Ward and King out there this year? Not sure; I hope you're right!! Just watching the highlights though of these players and having watched Ward all year, I know Ward has better bounce than either Jefferson or Jackson and was a better shot blocker. He made that come from behind or straight up block on many occasions where it started a fast break or led to a great stop. That's huge for an offense like ours that could struggle in the half-court to get in transition off a shot block.

But, if you're right and it is a better defensive lineup, WOW! Just seems like hype and recency of the commitment is taking people to another level like it does when we sign a new player.

Does anyone actually have footage of Jefferson and Jackson playing D? Would love to see it as multiple press have said Jefferson's defense is legit and that's awesome to hear, but I'd love to watch myself.

Regardless, sounds like a great pick-up!!

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
Better defensive lineup than with Ward and King out there this year? Not sure; I hope you're right!! Just watching the highlights though of these players and having watched Ward all year, I know Ward has better bounce than either Jefferson or Jackson and was a better shot blocker. He made that come from behind or straight up block on many occasions where it started a fast break or led to a great stop. That's huge for an offense like ours that could struggle in the half-court to get in transition off a shot block.

But, if you're right and it is a better defensive lineup, WOW! Just seems like hype and recency of the commitment is taking people to another level like it does when we sign a new player.

Does anyone actually have footage of Jefferson and Jackson playing D? Would love to see it as multiple press have said Jefferson's defense is legit and that's awesome to hear, but I'd love to watch myself.

We won't struggle with our offense next year in the half-court. I'll be disappointed if we don't score every time we have the ball. Sure, we'll miss some shots. But we should be able to get all the offensive rebounds.

CloneLawman

Fortis Non Ferox
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 13, 2006
Wherever I go, there I am.
But when we beat them all by 50 points they won't be top 15 teams any longer.
We need precog scheduling. We can schedule the Top 14 first, then play those who take their places. Just have to be able to predict all future rankings perfectly--piece of cake. O...drop the Hawkeyes, because they won't be sniffing Top 15.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013

I'm not sure if Jefferson/Jackson can be better defensively than our frontcourt last year, but it will be close, if not better, and probably a step up offensively.

Jefferson was a dominant defender on a St. Mary's team that was really good defensively. And based on their style and pace, scoring in double figures on that team shows some offensive potential.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
We need precog scheduling. We can schedule the Top 14 first, then play those who take their places. Just have to be able to predict all future rankings perfectly--piece of cake. O...drop the Hawkeyes, because they won't be sniffing Top 15.
I like it. Just give Tom Cruise a call and hook me up to the e-meter.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls

I agree on Ward, he is the type of player I would take on every roster.

bawbie

Staff member
Mar 17, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
Much preferred Jefferson to Hadley. Much better fit and need.

Really exactly what the doctor ordered.
I really liked Hadley and Kyle - I think they have potential to be great players - but I can definitely see how Jefferson is the best fit.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
I really liked Hadley and Kyle - I think they have potential to be great players - but I can definitely see how Jefferson is the best fit.
Hadley always seemed like an odd fit on the ISU roster. I thought he would've added talented depth on the team, but in crowded role.

Reactions: Letterkenny

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Not a bad rebound for missing on Hadley!

Hopefully having Watson, Milan, and three centers allows Jefferson time to heal his knee.

We don't need Joshua in November, we need him in March and hopefully April 2025

LarryISU

Feb 10, 2013
Omaha
On 247 at least, Jefferson is a slightly higher rated transfer prospect than Kyle. Of course, rankings are highly subjective, we all know. Still, I have to think we may have got the best player available to us. Our coaches, fans and facilities (+ We Will) are making a difference in this new era. :)

Psiclone

Apr 11, 2006
High level passer for a power forward. Hopefully JJ can continue to improve his shot. This is a home run!
Much better fit than Hadley or Kyle! He's already committed to playing defense, the toughest hurdle for coaches to get players to do. Also a much better offensive player than any of the bigs we lost. Hopefully, his knee will heal fully.

Trying to think of a weakness in the team, having difficulty doing so. No doubt a team weaknesses will appear during the season. Coaches/team need SOMETHING to work on.