JT Rock and Jelani Hamilton will redshirt

CyPunch

May 3, 2019
Sandy Springs, GA
JT redshirting makes all the sense in the world and has been the plan all along. He is super young. Doesn't turn 18 until March. So this year is all about his physical and on court development. From the official team release: "Rock, the youngest player on an NCAA Division I men's basketball roster this season, reclassified and enrolled a year early at Iowa State. The Sioux Falls, S.D. native was a four-star recruit and ranked in the top 100 by all three national outlets."

Jelani's parents are both Iowa State graduates and his brother is a student manager in his 2nd year with the program. Jelani is behind some really good guards for the next year or two in Tamin, Keshon, CuJo, and Pavaletzke. This was probably all taken into consideration to do what's best for him and the program long term.

Last edited:

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
I think it makes sense in this era of no-sit out transferring and still gives the option to transfer twice with the NCAA seeming to still allow grad transfers. It allows them to use this year to get better and see where they would be in the pecking order going into next year without burning a year of playing eligibility. Eli could have done it last year and still had 4 years to play at his next school(s).

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I'm generally against red shirting in basketball but these both make sense. JT for the obvious reasons of being a high schooler. Jelani because we have 4 veteran guards who will eat up minutes.
All four of those guards will likely return next year plus we're adding two more.

• Agree
Reactions: Letterkenny

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
I remember Larry talking about how tempting it was at times to burn Shirley’s redshirt during the 98-99 season. Making (and announcing) the decision in advance also makes it tougher to make a bad decision during a dicey game.

heitclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 21, 2009
Way up there
Kind of feel for Hamilton, when he signed, it looked like there would be plenty of minutes in the backcourt this year. Now it'll be tough to break into the rotation for at least two years.

Rock would have been a bigger surprise had he not taken the red shirt.

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Rock was pretty obvious when he reclassed. I'm not sure how to take the news with Hamilton though. On one hand, if they announced a redshirt then I'd assume he agreed to it, otherwise he'd probably portal away and maaaaaybe get to play 2nd semester. On the other though, my regular assumption is that if a freshman comes in and doesn't play much or at all then they will not be around next year has held true so far so hopefully I'm wrong this time

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
This is great news all around. In reality we will likely end up with an 8 or 9 man rotation max. Rock was a no-brainer, glad to see Hamilton is here for the long haul, he will be key in the future.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Just curious - there a reason you announce this over just simply not playing them?

So there isn't a new thread started every wk over their lack of playing or speculation of their transferring. That would be my guess.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
He will be a reshirt and a half by fall 2024. 18 months banging around the lane with Big Rob and Tre will be "developmental", in much the same way that Parris Island is "developmental".

Sounds good to me!

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
You new here?

We will still have a poster in every game thread and postgame thread when things aren't going well questioning why they aren't playing.

Then we will have a "will JT and Jelani transfer because they aren't playing?" thread sometime too.

I'm confused why they didn't play tonight.