JTS Improvements - Want More

52342cyclone

Sep 13, 2011
Toledo, IA
Can someone tell me what is going on between the stadium and G7 right now. I was there saturday and seen that they were doing dirt work and may of missed what was going on. A couple guys at work asked so I told them I would try to find out. Thanks

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Can someone tell me what is going on between the stadium and G7 right now. I was there saturday and seen that they were doing dirt work and may of missed what was going on. A couple guys at work asked so I told them I would try to find out. Thanks

Redoing the intramural fields.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Redoing the intramural fields.

I have said it before, but those intramural fields need to be moved to the west, out by the cross country course and towers, and the turn the fields on the east side of University Av, into parking with a walkover bridge.

I get it would be a pain for some students, but it would also be easier for those living out by the towers, and free up space for thousands of people to park and tailgate before the games.

Brandon

Feb 6, 2014
I have said it before, but those intramural fields need to be moved to the west, out by the cross country course and towers, and the turn the fields on the east side of University Av, into parking with a walkover bridge.

I get it would be a pain for some students, but it would also be easier for those living out by the towers, and free up space for thousands of people to park and tailgate before the games.

The grass area to the west of jts needs to be made into parking and make the north into a pond.

JSmoove

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 19, 2012
2611 Helser, Louden

That sounds great for tailgating, but the last thing that area needs is more impermeable surfaces.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

I can tell you that is not part of the ISU master campus plan.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
The bridge would be really nice, but, again, it may be too much expense for seven or eight Saturdays a year.

Still, someone is going likely to get hit crossing University sooner or later until there is a better way to cross the street.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX

Especially considering those fields are miles from any student living areas. Move them closer to student housing.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
Wasn't there a long term plan to eventually have an RV lot with hook ups over by the intramural fields? I do think the pedestrian bridge will eventually happen. Just from a safety stand point it would be worth it.
As long as the contract goes to some other company than the one building the US 30 flyover ramp!

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Brilliant. Take something used for 6 months a year and make it so it's used for all of 7 days a year.

If there was a bunch of donors not able to get parking maybe there's an argument to be made. There isn't. $20/car doesn't pay for a parking lot.

then we need to ask the question, do we do all we can for football? If they don't use those fields for football purposes (tailgating) than the answer is NO. The more parking close to the stadium, the better and more user friendly it is for the fan experience. In an era where many fans are choosing to stay home and watch games on the HD TV's, have drinks and a bathroom in their house, it is important to make the game day experience as good as possible. I doubt there is any big time football programs that would have that space next to their stadium that wouldn't use it for football purposes.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
then we need to ask the question, do we do all we can for football? If they don't use those fields for football purposes (tailgating) than the answer is NO. The more parking close to the stadium, the better and more user friendly it is for the fan experience. In an era where many fans are choosing to stay home and watch games on the HD TV's, have drinks and a bathroom in their house, it is important to make the game day experience as good as possible. I doubt there is any big time football programs that would have that space next to their stadium that wouldn't use it for football purposes.
That's an impressively terrible take. You haven't been to many other places for games. Iowa State has one of the best setups in college football.

If we had unlimited resources maybe more parking is needed. It's one thing to use the area between CY Stephens and Hilton for parking...nothing happens there. The University uses the land across from the stadium for a lot more than 7 Saturdays a year.

Turns out our resources aren't unlimited. We don't take care of the parking lots we have and we want to add more? In a flood plain? The area around the stadium is already a disaster after games so let's try adding cars to help.

Maybe next we should make Matt Campbell the highest paid coach in the country. If we don't we're not doing all we can for the football program.

I'm sure Alabama's football building is nicer than ours so we're definitely not doing all we can for football there.

We should probably construct permanent restrooms to make the experience better for fans instead of port-a-potty setups everywhere.

Heck, with the amount of mobile devices people have we should probably throw down the $20M or so it would be to provide Wi-Fi to the entire Iowa State Center complex.

Maybe we could copy Tiger Lane in Memphis for the entire Iowa State Center complex so people don't have to bring generators and we can all enjoy not listening to them run all day because we'd have electrical hookups.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I don't see what's stopping the athletic department from allowing parking on these intramural fields if the need is there in the future. Hell, granted they have twice as many people show up on Saturdays in the fall, Michigan has people park on a golf course fairway. Obvioulsy, they'd have to take note of the conditions as they already do with the existing grass parking, but it could be plausible for high demand games, like the Iowa game where a good chunk of people come to Ames to just tailgate.

CycloneGamecock

Apr 13, 2006
That's an impressively terrible take. You haven't been to many other places for games. Iowa State has one of the best setups in college football.

If we had unlimited resources maybe more parking is needed. It's one thing to use the area between CY Stephens and Hilton for parking...nothing happens there. The University uses the land across from the stadium for a lot more than 7 Saturdays a year.

Turns out our resources aren't unlimited. We don't take care of the parking lots we have and we want to add more? In a flood plain? The area around the stadium is already a disaster after games so let's try adding cars to help.

Maybe next we should make Matt Campbell the highest paid coach in the country. If we don't we're not doing all we can for the football program.

I'm sure Alabama's football building is nicer than ours so we're definitely not doing all we can for football there.

We should probably construct permanent restrooms to make the experience better for fans instead of port-a-potty setups everywhere.

Heck, with the amount of mobile devices people have we should probably throw down the $20M or so it would be to provide Wi-Fi to the entire Iowa State Center complex.

Maybe we could copy Tiger Lane in Memphis for the entire Iowa State Center complex so people don't have to bring generators and we can all enjoy not listening to them run all day because we'd have electrical hookups.

Where do I subscribe to your newsletter?

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

You should feel bad about this post...

• Agree
Reactions: FinalFourCy

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
Jamie Pollard has plans. Funding a pedestrian bridge is the key. Until we get million$ for that, the plans are just dreams.

Last edited:

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006

I have literally been to about 30 college football stadiums around the country. It is not hard to tell which programs prioritize stuff and which ones don't.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I don't see what's stopping the athletic department from allowing parking on these intramural fields if the need is there in the future. Hell, granted they have twice as many people show up on Saturdays in the fall, Michigan has people park on a golf course fairway. Obvioulsy, they'd have to take note of the conditions as they already do with the existing grass parking, but it could be plausible for high demand games, like the Iowa game where a good chunk of people come to Ames to just tailgate.
Athletic department doesn't own them....Recreation Services does.