JTS Improvements - Want More

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
"Parking is horrible." Hard to imagine anyone ever saying that about Jack Trice Stadium. Perhaps when we add a third upper deck and another 50,000 seats! Until then, I think our parking will be sufficient . . . and fabulous.

Never said "parking was horrible", reread what I wrote, Its hard now to park, it will become even more difficult in the feature. If it was up to me, I would allow parking on the grass west of the stadium between the street and the fence.

In todays atheletic world if the AD is not planning for the future, he/she is falling behind. ISU has 3 major projects to solve.

1. Parking around JTS.
2. Enlarging the press box with more high dollars seating, spanning most of the West side of the stadium.
3. Upgrade Hilton.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
I know its not, but it should be. We are fast approaching the point where parking at ISU football games is going to become more difficult with each passing season. Record attendance is a good thing, just like winning. But if we do not do something, we are going to end up like Iowa, where you park a mile away from the stadium at the golf course or at the mall and ride the train, and we do not have a train.

I get it, the univeristy wants that green space, its also close to the creek that runs to the east. But what happens in 5 years if we keep winning and people are saying "its a great game day experience, but the parking is horrible and its just easier to sit at home and watch the game on my 65 inch 4K tv?"
We aren't short parking. We have a stadium for 62,500. Right now our parking situation is ample to cover that. Every donor is getting a spot and if you meet X donation you get a paved spot. That's a great incentive to get people to donate to the Cyclone Club and then increase their donations. If everyone gets a parking spot what incentive does anyone have to be a $250 donor?

While every member of the Cyclone Club is important, the $250 donors aren't the ones who get big projects rocking and rolling. The $20 game day parking people aren't either.

They have soccer fields directly east of the dorms, can the university not open up that facility to the students when the soccer team is not using it?

Look football is paying the bills here, just like any other university. Its not the soccer team, or golf team or even the woman's bb team, and its sure not intermural kids paying for the sports program.
The basketball practice facility is all the way to the West, and it works out fine for the bb players, but students can not leave Willow and Larch and get out half that distance to the cross country course. With multiple cyride buses stopping in front of the dorms every few minutes.
That is used for intramurals. You don't have the slightest clue how many things they have going on simultaneously with intramurals do you?

10 years ago, there would be 16? flag football games at 5:20 and 6:20 Sunday through Thursday. Softball was normally the same schedule in the spring with 12 games instead of 16. Soccer was played at the MWL fields with 6 games going on.

Last edited:

cyclone87

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 6, 2011
Ames, IA
Yes, its done, but I'm not sure "what it is" or how it is going to be used. For instance, are they going to let people tailgate on it? Or save it for rentals, like for weddings?

It doesn't seem to fit with Reiman Gardens or the stadium.

One of the strange things is a large concrete circle that has something arching over it with a large suspended metal piece. Looks like a misting station for RAGBRAI.

It will be used for tailgating on game days with tents set up lining the interior of the open space as shown in the schematic below. My guess is they will be rented to groups like the ones between the stadium and Hilton. It will be nice having the permanent bathrooms there to use for those groups. I agree it turned out kinda "meh", but also think it would have took a lot of time and $$ to upkeep what was shown on the original plan.

ZMLT.jpg

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2018/05/24/plaza
Harvey said the revised design is simpler and "more park-like," and creates options for a greater mix of activities. It will retain its ring shape, but inside a poured sidewalk will be mostly lawn, trees and a few perennials.

The athletics department will be able to erect football gameday tents in the area. It also could work for small concerts or receptions, Harvey said.

cyfan92

Sep 20, 2011
Augusta National Golf Club
Some people just can NEVER HAVE ENOUGH PARKING!

Let's create a massive liability for 6-7 times a year of use.. Driver-less cars are already being tested. Why do we need to ADD parking for the future again?

I understand some frustration around the grass lots closing due to weather. But Iowa State doesn't make money on those folk. The bread is made with the Directors level parking around the stadium.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
We aren't short parking. We have a stadium for 62,500. Right now our parking situation is ample to cover that. Every donor is getting a spot and if you meet X donation you get a paved spot. That's a great incentive to get people to donate to the Cyclone Club and then increase their donations. If everyone gets a parking spot what incentive does anyone have to be a $250 donor?

While every member of the Cyclone Club is important, the $250 donors aren't the ones who get big projects rocking and rolling. The $20 game day parking people aren't either.

That is used for intramurals. You don't have the slightest clue how many things they have going on simultaneously with intramurals do you?

10 years ago, there would be 16? flag football games at 5:20 and 6:20 Sunday through Thursday. Softball was normally the same schedule in the spring with 12 games instead of 16. Soccer was played at the MWL fields with 6 games going on.

Do you go to the games and try and park? Because when we had wet weather last year, and G7 and other lots were closed, there was not enough parking. To say otherwise is foolish.

All those flag football games, soccer games and softball game could be played just as easily if they built fields out by the towers and the cross country course. Hell there is more room out there then by the stadium.

• Agree
Reactions: Cardinal and Gold

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
I don't think you have a very good understanding of the whole picture. You're stance is very much football is everything and ISU should cater everything to football.

I know its not, but it should be. We are fast approaching the point where parking at ISU football games is going to become more difficult with each passing season. Record attendance is a good thing, just like winning. But if we do not do something, we are going to end up like Iowa, where you park a mile away from the stadium at the golf course or at the mall and ride the train, and we do not have a train.

I get it, the univeristy wants that green space, its also close to the creek that runs to the east. But what happens in 5 years if we keep winning and people are saying "its a great game day experience, but the parking is horrible and its just easier to sit at home and watch the game on my 65 inch 4K tv?"

Why should it be ISU has not really been an University about athlethics and more so on academics. Lately, more emphasis has been put on athletics but the majority of that is self-funded. ISU is last in the XII when it comes to athletic budgets, until this budget doubles ($150million) things are going to stay the way they are.

ISU has a few Deere tractors and shuttles already. I'm sure getting more would not be a problem. IF you don't want to park far away, pony up and buy a parking pass. I don't think your statement about "a great game day experience" is valid even with continue success, its more of an excuse to back up your logic. You either want the game day experience or you want to sit on your couch and watch 4K.

ISU parking is fantastic when compared to other Universities. This is not a problem, even with an expansion. The Ames infrastructure is a larger issue when it comes to game day. Who should you expect to pay for that? City of Ames? ISU? Athletics? Much bigger issues here than you realize.

They have soccer fields directly east of the dorms, can the university not open up that facility to the students when the soccer team is not using it?

Look football is paying the bills here, just like any other university. Its not the soccer team, or golf team or even the woman's bb team, and its sure not intermural kids paying for the sports program.
The basketball practice facility is all the way to the West, and it works out fine for the bb players, but students can not leave Willow and Larch and get out half that distance to the cross country course. With multiple cyride buses stopping in front of the dorms every few minutes.

Soccer was just one example. Those fields are used for many many other intramural. Recreations Services pays for most of the things with student activity fees. Those green spaces are "owned" by recreation services, not Athletics. Why should students involved in intramural have to pay more than there student activity fees to utilize recreation service's services? Why should students have to sacrifice their experience to please football fans, the majority who do not live in Ames?

Parking lots in a flood plain area just does not make sense. One flood and the lots could cost millions to damage.

Do you go to the games and try and park? Because when we had wet weather last year, and G7 and other lots were closed, there was not enough parking. To say otherwise is foolish.

All those flag football games, soccer games and softball game could be played just as easily if they built fields out by the towers and the cross country course. Hell there is more room out there then by the stadium.

I've been a season ticket holder for three years. Last year we parked at the power plant, 20 minute walk away. That lot was NEVER completely full, even with G7 closed. Plenty of space, behind mole-bio. If this becomes a larger issue, I'm sure ISU athletics will address it.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale

There is a fundamental difference in the discussion IMO. Do we have enough to manage our current capacity? Yeah probably. The problem is I think people are discussing the need to keep increasing the value of the event. I think that people don’t realize they need to account for decreasing attendance when evaluating how stuff gets paid for. I think repaving the lots would be helpful at this point but as TVs get better we have to keep adding to make sure people keep coming. Creating more park like parking areas will probably be a need in the future.

• Agree
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
There is a fundamental difference in the discussion IMO. Do we have enough to manage our current capacity? Yeah probably. The problem is I think people are discussing the need to keep increasing the value of the event. I think that people don’t realize they need to account for decreasing attendance when evaluating how stuff gets paid for. I think repaving the lots would be helpful at this point but as TVs get better we have to keep adding to make sure people keep coming. Creating more park like parking areas will probably be a need in the future.

@Urbandale2013

Curious to hear an explanation for why you disagree with my post.

Look at all the great venues losing attendance. Parking is usually not on the list to why.

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
I'll throw in an opinion on parking (and Reimann Gardens as well). I think having the large green space (and Reimann) can benefit the University's image as a whole. I actually remember coming to visit ISU as a senior in HS and I thought having the green space, the gardens, and JTS made for a nice introduction to ISU.

I think parking as a whole is a lower(ish) priority. If we continue to have success, people are going to want to go to the games and will find ways to be at the games regardless of the parking situation. If we are hosting a Top 15 or Top 10 matchup people aren't going to let a 15 minute walk from an on campus lot stop them. On the flip side, if we go back into the gutter, having a really nice parking lot isn't going to entice casual fans to come watch us get our teeth kicked in by Oklahoma.

In stadium amenities and atmosphere will dictate whether or not people show up to the games or stay on the couch. I don't think an extra 5-10 minute walk will be the major cause (although, I will admit it could be a contributing factor)

Also, having perks and exclusivity helps generate demand and allows you to generate income (see all the people who got bumped out of the RV lot this year). If all of a sudden everyone who wants to stay in the paved lots has to up their payment by $250 or $500 you'll offset the people you 'lose' who aren't paying $140 (7x$20) and you don't have the capital expenditure and maintenance costs of a big ugly chunk of asphalt.

jcisuclones

Nov 23, 2011
Ames, IA
I personally think we're pretty spoiled with our parking situation. People just need to relax and understand that you're not going to get out of the parking lot right after a game. ~50,000 people trying to leave town via essentially 3 different routes of exit away from the stadium isn't going to clear fast. Be patient. Last summer I was at Michigan Stadium for a Manchester United-Liverpool friendly match, and it took me an hour and a half just to get into the cue to get onto the main road out of the parking lot, and another hour to get onto the road. Definitely made me grateful for what we have in Ames. What we have fits the demand. I do think that teaming up with CyRide for a better shuttle service on game days could be an option, bringing people directly from campus lots to and from the stadium lots.

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
@Urbandale2013

Curious to hear an explanation for why you disagree with my post.

Look at all the great venues losing attendance. Parking is usually not on the list to why.
Because of the reasons I listed. Attending games is going to have to keep improving in quality. We should be looking at the premium tailgating spots with electricity hookups. We should also look at creating non tailgating lots to improve the flow. Park people at KMart and shuttle them in like Iowa for those that don’t want to tailgate. Parking isn’t very good for those who want to go to the game but just the game. You have to park a long ways away and walk. I have never particularly minded the walk but people like my parents can’t walk as far as I can because of bad joints. Yeah for a diehard fan like you or I parking probably isn’t an issue. It is though for the casual fans. We really need to capitalize on those casual fans right now. Look at Iowa they dominated the casual fans and created a big lifelong fan base. They may not be consistent big donors but they make the biggest impact. Our fan base is small and extremely loyal. We need to expand that reach. Certain parking enhancements or other things might not see the clear attributable cost recovery but they do have an impact.

I don’t think anyone thinks we need to do a ton now but not even envisioning things is a problem. Long term I think it is clear the intramural fields need to move. Where they move and how they move is up for debate. Some could be out by towers. Some could maybe move up by Freddy.

I also think people take the flood plain to much into account. We absolutely need to account for it but see it as an opportunity not an obstacle. There was a 60 minutes story about flood control in the Netherlands. One city has build and underground parking garage that converts into a flood control device.

I won’t say I have any specific ideas but we keep just saying no. That’s what got us crap football. We should be coming up with ideas to improve not shooting down people. Not every idea will work. Heck even a majority wont but you can’t come up with solutions that will work if you don’t come up with ideas.

Cardinal and Gold

Jul 23, 2016
Since this thread is way off topic from the current renovations and onto the inevitable parking lot discussion, I’ll throw my 2 cents in. I would see increasing parking now as an investment for the near future. I could even see having to add capacity to JTS in about 10ish years because of the following factors. In the last 15ish years ISU has had a drastic increase in enrollment. In other words we have vastly more alumni ages 22-35 than ever before. Many of these alumni have not yet gotten to a place in life where they have the capability (extra quiche) to donate, but the older segment of this group (28-35) may be getting to that place now or very soon and the rest will follow in suit. This is the age where maybe you got that promotion, the kids are getting to the age where they can go to the game, etc. We are pumping around 10,000 more alumni into the market every year than we were just 15-20 years ago. I would guess the donor lots are already pretty close to full since it took me 45 minutes just to get out of my section of C after the WVU field storming game. We will need more lots for different donor levels to capture the revenue from this demand shift, and they will need to be fairly close to the stadium. Nobody in their right mind is going to park in Mole Bio on the far NW side of campus to walk to JTS, unless you are taking a stroll down memory lane seeing the campus. Those intramural lots seem somewhat logical, but if not there they will need to be added somewhere and soon. Increasing the quantity of donors is how we close the gap with the big boys. Just some thoughts.

Last edited:

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
Because of the reasons I listed. Attending games is going to have to keep improving in quality. We should be looking at the premium tailgating spots with electricity hookups. We should also look at creating non tailgating lots to improve the flow. Park people at KMart and shuttle them in like Iowa for those that don’t want to tailgate. Parking isn’t very good for those who want to go to the game but just the game. You have to park a long ways away and walk. I have never particularly minded the walk but people like my parents can’t walk as far as I can because of bad joints. Yeah for a diehard fan like you or I parking probably isn’t an issue. It is though for the casual fans. We really need to capitalize on those casual fans right now. Look at Iowa they dominated the casual fans and created a big lifelong fan base. They may not be consistent big donors but they make the biggest impact. Our fan base is small and extremely loyal. We need to expand that reach. Certain parking enhancements or other things might not see the clear attributable cost recovery but they do have an impact.

I don’t think anyone thinks we need to do a ton now but not even envisioning things is a problem. Long term I think it is clear the intramural fields need to move. Where they move and how they move is up for debate. Some could be out by towers. Some could maybe move up by Freddy.

I also think people take the flood plain to much into account. We absolutely need to account for it but see it as an opportunity not an obstacle. There was a 60 minutes story about flood control in the Netherlands. One city has build and underground parking garage that converts into a flood control device.

I won’t say I have any specific ideas but we keep just saying no. That’s what got us crap football. We should be coming up with ideas to improve not shooting down people. Not every idea will work. Heck even a majority wont but you can’t come up with solutions that will work if you don’t come up with ideas.

I can understand your view point. Unfortunately, until Rec Services and Athletics reach a deal, this is all wishful thinking. I would absolutely love more parking but from the logistics and financials I've seen for such a project, it just doesn't pay out (currently).

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I don't think you have a very good understanding of the whole picture. You're stance is very much football is everything and ISU should cater everything to football.

Why should it be ISU has not really been an University about athlethics and more so on academics. Lately, more emphasis has been put on athletics but the majority of that is self-funded. ISU is last in the XII when it comes to athletic budgets, until this budget doubles ($150million) things are going to stay the way they are.

ISU has a few Deere tractors and shuttles already. I'm sure getting more would not be a problem. IF you don't want to park far away, pony up and buy a parking pass. I don't think your statement about "a great game day experience" is valid even with continue success, its more of an excuse to back up your logic. You either want the game day experience or you want to sit on your couch and watch 4K.

ISU parking is fantastic when compared to other Universities. This is not a problem, even with an expansion. The Ames infrastructure is a larger issue when it comes to game day. Who should you expect to pay for that? City of Ames? ISU? Athletics? Much bigger issues here than you realize.

Soccer was just one example. Those fields are used for many many other intramural. Recreations Services pays for most of the things with student activity fees. Those green spaces are "owned" by recreation services, not Athletics. Why should students involved in intramural have to pay more than there student activity fees to utilize recreation service's services? Why should students have to sacrifice their experience to please football fans, the majority who do not live in Ames?

Parking lots in a flood plain area just does not make sense. One flood and the lots could cost millions to damage.

I've been a season ticket holder for three years. Last year we parked at the power plant, 20 minute walk away. That lot was NEVER completely full, even with G7 closed. Plenty of space, behind mole-bio. If this becomes a larger issue, I'm sure ISU athletics will address it.

You miss the bigger point, what is wrong with moving the fields to the Towers by the cross country course? Is it, you played on those fields and therefore the next generation of students should also or what? The distance is too far away, ok for the basketball teams, but intermural teams can not drive or take the cyride a couple of miles away.

This decision has already been made, the university has already started to resurface the area into those fields, so when we are complaining about parking for FB games in five years, I hope you are here telling everyone about the importance of those intermural fields and why it would have been a horrible idea to have parking there instead.

I've had season tickets for over 10 years, I have seen what its like to be the ol Iowa State many times, that is now changing, we can either welcome that change, which I do. Or talk about the great old days, where you could arrive at the stadium 20 minutes before kickoff, walk right it, get our asses kicked and then get out of the lot in 20 minutes after reaching your car.

I prefer the way it is now, and hope for a brighter future.

Last edited:

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
It will be used for tailgating on game days with tents set up lining the interior of the open space as shown in the schematic below. My guess is they will be rented to groups like the ones between the stadium and Hilton. It will be nice having the permanent bathrooms there to use for those groups. I agree it turned out kinda "meh", but also think it would have took a lot of time and $$ to upkeep what was shown on the original plan.

ZMLT.jpg

https://www.inside.iastate.edu/article/2018/05/24/plaza

This drawing doesn't show it, but there is a sandstone wall around this area that would fit in well in Manhattan, Kansas.

IcSyU

Nov 27, 2007
Rochester, MN
You miss the bigger point, what is wrong with moving the fields to the Towers by the cross country course?
What's wrong with it? The cross country course isn't going to be touched so that's out. They aren't going to regrade it so it's a nice, flat cross country course. I'm guessing the club baseball team isn't just going to let Cap Timm go so that's out. You can get all of 2 flag football fields north of the Towers parking lot.

So where is all this magical space you talk about? You seem to have this idea they can just take any surface and without any work its ready to play intramurals on. That isn't how it works. At all.

I'm sure Rec Services would love to have a couple games going on at Lied, a handful at the MWL complex, a couple more at Towers, and two games on the old soccer fields inside the cross country course. That isn't a logistics disaster at all.

What magical event is going to happen in 5 years that requires additional parking? I'm guessing there is very little chance of additional expansion in JTS (ticket prices would be raised to control demand if that's what it takes). If anything I would actually bet on attendance falling a little bit if they decide to convert seating on the east side to club seating or something similar.

Just to thrill me, please mock up this plan that incorporates the setup that'll be across from JTS when the current renovation is done into the Towers area without touching the cross country course or Cap Timm and very few grade changes. I'm also guessing the City wouldn't take kindly to disturbing the bike path either.

• Agree
Reactions: Tacoclone

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
What's wrong with it? The cross country course isn't going to be touched so that's out. They aren't going to regrade it so it's a nice, flat cross country course. I'm guessing the club baseball team isn't just going to let Cap Timm go so that's out. You can get all of 2 flag football fields north of the Towers parking lot.

So where is all this magical space you talk about? You seem to have this idea they can just take any surface and without any work its ready to play intramurals on. That isn't how it works. At all.

I'm sure Rec Services would love to have a couple games going on at Lied, a handful at the MWL complex, a couple more at Towers, and two games on the old soccer fields inside the cross country course. That isn't a logistics disaster at all.

What magical event is going to happen in 5 years that requires additional parking? I'm guessing there is very little chance of additional expansion in JTS (ticket prices would be raised to control demand if that's what it takes). If anything I would actually bet on attendance falling a little bit if they decide to convert seating on the east side to club seating or something similar.

Just to thrill me, please mock up this plan that incorporates the setup that'll be across from JTS when the current renovation is done into the Towers area without touching the cross country course or Cap Timm and very few grade changes. I'm also guessing the City wouldn't take kindly to disturbing the bike path either.

Looking at Google maps, I sure see a lot of open space west of the CC starting line, looks nice and flat, if not a few earthmovers in there and it soon will be. But I guess the CC meets just run back and forth along those fields. No they start there running west, and then turn north towards college creek. So really there is plenty of room to the west and the ne to build intermural fields. Like you said, there is already 2 intermural football fields out there, the baseball field and a softball field, but we cannot use those open spaces to the west of the CC starting line. Instead they must play soccer and softball to the east of JTS, what a crock of crap.

So raising ticket prices to keep demand low is your plan, that goes in the face of everything Pollard has done to make JTS a family and cheap environment value. But he will do it, just to keep those intermural fields for the students.

The only thing keeping those fields now is that the Rec. Services has them over a barrel and Pollard does not want to spend the money from the atheletic department to pay for moving them to the West. If he would offer to pay for the building of the new fields, Rec. Services would be all over the idea, or should be. A win for both parties, new intermural fields for the students, by the intermural football fields, baseball and softball fields, which would not interfere with the CC course at all, and more parking for the people helping to pay the bill for ISU atheletics.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.0155299,-93.6538871,955m/data=!3m1!1e3

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
On a related issue, since the plans call for the large concrete wall along the walkway up to the stadium (like the south endzone), are they going to backfill that with dirt to make the grass hillsides less steep? I'll be interested in seeing how that looks when finished. I have to think that they will be looking at eventually putting in bleachers in those two corners. Ideally they could put the visitors section in that northeast corner next to the student section.

• Useful
Reactions: leeland82