JTS Improvements - Want More

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa
I've know heavy machinery operators that said it was miserable because you are just sitting there while at least the other workers are constantly moving about.
I think it probably depends on the machine. I know the last skid steer and tele handler I ran on site both had cabin heat on them so it was a nice break from the cold.

beentherebefore

Nov 24, 2007
If there is enough demand for suites and/or seats, then there will be a plan. I think major stadium work should wait (even though I love stadium expansion and the webcams associated with JTS construction since 2014) until the stadium is sold out for every game.

But if there is a waiting list for JTC seating, seems as though that may be the next project.

Reactions: Cyclonsin

Isualum13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2018
A question for anyone of you degenerates with more construction/destruction knowledge than myself:

Is there a reason they're being so dainty about razing Olsen? It feels like they're very meticulously going room by room, removing the roof first and then taking down the walls. What's to stop them from just bulldozing the whole thing into one large ruble pile?
Are they paid by the hour?

cybychoice

Jun 27, 2014
Ankeny
A question for anyone of you degenerates with more construction/destruction knowledge than myself:

Is there a reason they're being so dainty about razing Olsen? It feels like they're very meticulously going room by room, removing the roof first and then taking down the walls. What's to stop them from just bulldozing the whole thing into one large ruble pile?

Safety is a big part of it, as well as dust suppression and noise reduction. Being so close to campus and the fact that the Jacobson is being left play into it too I am sure.

• Agree
Reactions: beentherebefore

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
If there is enough demand for suites and/or seats, then there will be a plan. I think major stadium work should wait (even though I love stadium expansion and the webcams associated with JTS construction since 2014) until the stadium is sold out for every game.

But if there is a waiting list for JTC seating, seems as though that may be the next project.

People said the same thing when we bowled in the South Endzone, that we should wait until we are selling out every game. That is silly, you have to create demand for those seats. The money is in corp. boxes and limited seating areas with better food and drink like the Sukup area. Look at what EIU did when they rebuilt their North Endzone, most of those seats are like the Sukup area, premium food and drink, shorter lines to the RR. Those are the seats that make money these days, and they had no trouble selling them out, why would ISU be any different? We quickly sold out the Sukup area, we would do the same with an expanded press box area and redoing the North endzone.

ISUCyclones2015

Doesn't wipe standing up
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2010
Chicago, IL
People said the same thing when we bowled in the South Endzone, that we should wait until we are selling out every game. That is silly, you have to create demand for those seats. The money is in corp. boxes and limited seating areas with better food and drink like the Sukup area. Look at what EIU did when they rebuilt their North Endzone, most of those seats are like the Sukup area, premium food and drink, shorter lines to the RR. Those are the seats that make money these days, and they had no trouble selling them out, why would ISU be any different? We quickly sold out the Sukup area, we would do the same with an expanded press box area and redoing the North endzone.

Exactly. Need to make it a better experience than I can achieve at home. Hillsides aren't better than that...

Sousaclone

Apr 29, 2006
North of Seattle
Safety is a big part of it, as well as dust suppression and noise reduction. Being so close to campus and the fact that the Jacobson is being left play into it too I am sure.

Noise, dust, safety, trying to sort/salvage recyclables, all sorts of stuff play into the equation. Having to make sure the Jacobson stays operational is also playing a major factor. Don't want to start pulling hard on stuff and find out something is still attached.

You also want to be able to effectively work the structure and debris. As entertaining as it would be to just drive a bulldozer into it haphazardly, you'll just end up with a big mess and maybe a stuck piece of equipment. A good operator / demo company maintains a relatively tidy/organized site as they are working.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Noise, dust, safety, trying to sort/salvage recyclables, all sorts of stuff play into the equation. Having to make sure the Jacobson stays operational is also playing a major factor. Don't want to start pulling hard on stuff and find out something is still attached.

You also want to be able to effectively work the structure and debris. As entertaining as it would be to just drive a bulldozer into it haphazardly, you'll just end up with a big mess and maybe a stuck piece of equipment. A good operator / demo company maintains a relatively tidy/organized site as they are working.
Imagine the memorabilia on the second market. Lots of fun stuff to salvage.

• Winner
Reactions: motorcy90

RLD4ISU

Sep 13, 2018
Otsego, MN

(In addition to what others mentioned)

Ground vibrations may be another reason. You don't want to risk causing any structural damage to the other buildings.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Exactly. Need to make it a better experience than I can achieve at home. Hillsides aren't better than that...

They are for some people. There are 5,000 "seats" between the two hillsides. And every one of them is JR Cyclone Club or their accompanying parents. Those people would rather take their kids to a game, even if it is GA seating and a poor viewing angle, than watch on TV. To me, that is investing in the future...students, recruits, donors. Sure, some kids will become fans just by flipping on the TV every Saturday, but it's a whole different deal if they are actually part of the atmosphere...even if they are running around or playing catch or rolling down the hill half the time.

There are plenty of other seats for those not interested in the hillsides, like the other 92% of the stadium.

CycloneDaddy

Sep 24, 2006
Johnston
They are for some people. There are 5,000 "seats" between the two hillsides. And every one of them is JR Cyclone Club or their accompanying parents. Those people would rather take their kids to a game, even if it is GA seating and a poor viewing angle, than watch on TV. To me, that is investing in the future...students, recruits, donors. Sure, some kids will become fans just by flipping on the TV every Saturday, but it's a whole different deal if they are actually part of the atmosphere...even if they are running around or playing catch or rolling down the hill half the time.

There are plenty of other seats for those not interested in the hillsides, like the other 92% of the stadium.
We have season tickets in the donor section for the entire family but my wife still buys my one kid a Jr Cy pass and they sit on the hillside. She says the donor seats are to packed.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010

It's possible they are recycling materials.

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Sitting in Dallas complaining about the icy roads while sitting at home and opened this link again and... HOLY CRAP! Ya'll are getting some snow!

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
Sitting in Dallas complaining about the icy roads while sitting at home and opened this link again and... HOLY CRAP! Ya'll are getting some snow!

That new plaza is going to be amazing when it's all done. Thanks Jamie and all the donors who have made this possible. We're on the cusp of great things, and despite the pandemic, it's a great time to be a Cyclone.

motorcy90

Aug 12, 2018
Iowa