J'Vonne Hadley (Curtis Jones' cousin) to have zoom meetings with Iowa State & MSU this week

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
FWIW hokeye radio network runs a lot of cannabis ads. I'll let CF what this means bigger picture, but it's a little jarring to hear dolph and podalek pushing the sticky icky.

I have a hard time picturing the same from Walters and Heft.

Sweeeeeet Delta9....bom bom bom......Packaged in Cardinal and Gold. Make it happen.

• Funny
Reactions: cyclonehomer

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
The numbers might be so high it's s no brainier to not match but I like that we are not "over paying" for players.
My standard would always be that I wouldn't pay anyone coming in more than I am paying my key players right now. That just seems like a way to kill the locker room.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
On the flip side, if EVERY player in CBB received their perceived maximum NIL value (whether that value was accurate or not), the entire NIL market would probably be 5-10X larger. Some players discount their NIL to accommodate fit, style, school preference, etc. Thus Milan might be worth $400k on open market but is willing to stay at ISU for $150k, on down the roster. Yes, that still means $1M+ for the team, but it is a $4-5M valued team.

And you can't really blame those players that are attempting to obtain maximum NIL value, as it might be their best or only time to get that kind of money and a head start on life. It sucks, but many of us would do the same.
I don't blame any player for doing it, particularly guys that don't project well to the NBA.

If I thought the fit was fine at a school offering me $500k vs. $100k, and I knew I wasn't an NBA guy, I would absolutely take it. The difference in going to the workforce or heading overseas to play with an extra few hundred thousands of dollars. It would be a big deal in being set up in the future.

And with football, the NFL careers are so short that even if you make it, if you get to the second deal you are pretty fortunate.

AuH2O

Sep 7, 2013
My standard would always be that I wouldn't pay anyone coming in more than I am paying my key players right now. That just seems like a way to kill the locker room.
It has sounded like We Will has been more focused on retention, which I think is a great move for the reason you state, but also it's just more cost-effective. Not always, but most of the time I would say you'll pay less to retain a similar level player than trying to get one that's out in the portal.

I thought when it was first set up Blum said it was only for retention, but I think that's had to shift a bit as it seems every transfer is getting something now, and WW has grown enough to enable it.

I think We Will has done a great job, and the two staffs have as well, just looking at the retention in FB and MBB. In the current age, particularly in FB, to retain guys as well as they have is pretty remarkable.

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
I don't blame any player for doing it, particularly guys that don't project well to the NBA.

If I thought the fit was fine at a school offering me $500k vs. $100k, and I knew I wasn't an NBA guy, I would absolutely take it. The difference in going to the workforce or heading overseas to play with an extra few hundred thousands of dollars. It would be a big deal in being set up in the future.

And with football, the NFL careers are so short that even if you make it, if you get to the second deal you are pretty fortunate.
That's assuming they have someone to advise them on money management (and not greedy hangers-on & family).

Reactions: CycloneErik

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
Remember when coaches nearly lost their jobs for buying a hamburger for a recruit?

To be fair, he almost lost his job by recruiting during a dead period in the midst of COVID lockdowns, not for buying a hamburger.

Thomasrickj

Feb 26, 2012
Arlington, VA
Or when Juri Hubalek was suspended for multiple games for driving a 15 year old junker of a car that was loaned to him by a Hawkeye alum?
That dude played alongside Wes Johnson, DG, and Craig Brackins. All three of those dudes played in the NBA and McDermott couldn’t even go .500 with that roster…

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
That’s not NIL. That’s pay for play.
This system stinks.
It’s been discussed 1000x I know, but it’s no different than any of us shopping around for better job offers while still being employed.

Honestly if they just stopped using the term NIL and say “x player is getting offers of payment of y” or whatever there would be far less outcry.

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa

I agree. The goal of college is to be able to make money. Well why would you not go to college where you are going to make the most money.