Kid names

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Not a personal tie, but I'm a baseball and hockey fan. A few years back, an MLB team (Braves?) drafted an IFA kid named Jose Jose. Just this year, my NHL team (Blackhawks) drafted a college forward named Marcel Marcel. Both names crack me up and get me thinking about that Seinfeld episode where they attend the performance of "Rochelle Rochelle." Who names their kid the same name twice?
I used to work with a guy named Mohammed Mohammed. He has since changed his name.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I had a client whose given first name was "Nancy!". Yes, the exclamation point was part of the name. She thought it was some kind of IT conspiracy that her IT department couldn't (or wouldn't) give her an email address with the exclamation point.

drmwevr08

Nov 25, 2006
Tempe, az
There are a lot of dumb parents trying to be unique. The ones that are pronounced wrong are particularly mean. Congrats, your kids dumb name will never ever get pronounced correctly for the next 75 years.

Reactions: Angie

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I went to summer camp with a "Jim Jimmerson."

Also, one of my sorority sisters from ISU has given all of her children truly abysmal names. Think alternate spellings of the "Myckenzeigh" variety.

Oh, sigh. The alternative spelling thing can go way off track sometimes.

cycub51

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2009
Somewhere Iowa
Wife’s friend has the last name Lemens pronounced like the fruit. Her first name is luana but goes by lulu. So her name is lulu Lemens. I laughed real hard first time I heard it

• Haha
Reactions: coolerifyoudid

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I have a cousin who named her boy “Zeppelin” after the band. She named her daughter “Sahara.”

At first I thought it was crazy, but it’s honestly pretty cool now that the kids are a bit older. They like it.

SouthJerseyCy

Sep 6, 2008
That's fine, I still think it's odd. Just like how people find the name Kinnick odd, even though multiple people are naming their children Kinnick. Although I also have never heard of a child being named Maverick, so that probably doesn't help.

And I disagree it is a huge stretch. You asked me why I found the name odd. I find it odd because I associate it with a character trait, and on top of that, I associate it with a negative character trait. But it isn't a terrible character trait (and it's also your grandson) so I didn't want to compare it to something like "*******," "wrath" or "gluttony." So I landed on "impatient" and "rude" which aren't good traits but also aren't the end of the word.

You may not think of the trait when you hear the name, or if you do, you may not view it negatively. But I do. And based on what I think of the trait, comparing it to "impatient" or "rude" is apt.
I didn't ask you why you found the name odd. I simply told you it was common and why you were wrong for associating it with 'impatient' or 'rude'. Now you've doubled down with 'wrath' and 'gluttony'? That's more odd IMO.

Maverick​

Maverick is an English name meaning "an unorthodox or independent-minded person." The name rose in prominence after the release of the 1958 TV show "Maverick" and has peaked once again after the release of "Top Gun: Maverick" in 2022.

Maverick is in the top 100 boys' names and ranks at No. 32.

AgronAlum

Jul 12, 2014
Went to school with a Brad Lee and a neighbor kid was Patrick Fitzpatrick.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
There is a Charity in town and she definitely gives out Charity. I may be the only one she hasn't given any charity to.
Well, aren't you special ;)

putsky

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 13, 2009
Harlan, IA
I know of a boy named Jasond. Not JASON. JASOND.

I believe the parents looked at a calendar, saw the last 6 months of the year, and just went for it.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha
4 pages and no one has brought up former NASCAR driver D*ck Trickle?

I know a woman that named her son King Maurice, we just call him King