Let the Snow Fall

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
Wind is the most challenging thing weather can throw at a football game. Rain, snow, and fog are a pain in the *** but anyone who has ever played a real football game in extreme wind, knows its down right horrible. Every pass affected. Long snapping becomes a calculated risk, even shotgun snaps are affected. Could be an interesting evening. Hopefully it grounds their passing attack and ISU can control the run game and clock and pull off the upset.

I think this is mostly the case when it comes to crosswinds, but I don't think head/tail winds are nearly the hassle that crosswinds are. Now, before I get flamed, yes, head and tail winds do affect the game - it especially messes with QBs and all kickers as it affects the distance of throws and kicks - into the wind it drastically shortens them, with the wind it drastically lengthens them. However, I think it's easier to adjust for a head/tail wind than it is for a cross wind. Head wind you shorten the routes, tail wind you take some off the ball or lengthen the routes. Crosswinds are almost impossible to adjust for because you just have no idea how far the wind is going to push the ball off target, and crosswinds I can imagine would also wreak havoc on long snappers as well.

That being said, I don't think you would ever witness a crosswind in the wind tunnel that is Jack Trice Stadium (or at least until they bowl the endzone in)...