Liberty Bowl postgame thread

Cyclone06

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
Urbandale
When the announcer flat out says you wernt motivated… well that’s pretty damn bad. Seemed unprepared and uninspired, players and coaches. And you wonder why people call them meaningless exhibitions.

cyfanbr

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 13, 2013
IL
What do you think needs to happen? And what will change?
Honestly. Nothing public right now. I’ve said in other posts tonight and I’ll say it again. Campbell has gotten us to the most constant level of success in program history, and for that I’m very thankful. However, AD and him need to have an honest conversation about continuing to grow as a program. No I’m not saying conference title contender every year. I’m saying a reliable P5 program that doesn’t struggle to beat G5 programs most years, a program that’s has an average OL most years instead of a grade D or F line, a program that is not easily dismissed from future football realignment events that could lead us to no longer being part of the top tier level of competition.

How about you? What do you think?

jbhtexas

Oct 20, 2006
Arlington, TX
What do people expect from this program going forward? My expectations are 7+ wins each season with a 9+ win season every 4 or 5 years. This season’s team won 7 games while losing their starting QB, RB, TE, and OL right before the season started. The team showed growth during the year. They will only get bigger, faster, stronger for next year as the majority of the snap counts came from underclassmen.

I enjoyed watching this team. And I think they will be exciting to watch for the next couple years.
I expect P5 teams to beat G5 teams.

Player development has been average at best under Campbell.

Inthesystem

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 12, 2009
Me either. It’s still a successful season. I’m growing tired of the 3 man front. You can rush 3 when you have Will McDonald. We do not have a will McDonald anymore. A 3rd and 8 with a quarter to go and we really needed a stop we rushed 3 again, and got burned again. That sucked.
I don't disagree but we rushed five on the first play and got beat deep.

• Agree
Reactions: NENick

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
They cover that view. I encourage you to read the article.

A good percentage of sports fans are crazy. Now we're taking even more money out of fans pockets to pay for players (when the NCAA and the schools should be paying them), and Dabo makes I don't even know how many millions of dollars? Yes, when you lose the crazies are going to come at you. I'll never go after a coach or player, but I can't control what crazy people do. If he doesn't like it he doesn't have to coach and make millions. The players can stop playing and go get a real job. I don't feel for him or the players at all.

Reactions: NoCreativity

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
This game actually reminded me of the way the basketball season ended back in March; a surprising and disappointing result bringing an unfortunate end to an otherwise pretty good season from a team that maybe wasn't quite as good as its record indicated.

Both teams got down really big really quickly, only to make a bit of a comeback that came up short in the end to what were perceived as inferior teams. H*ll, getting 0 rushing yards might be the equivalent of shooting whatever atrocious percentage we shot during that game.

And, while I like both TJ and Campbell, they both got outcoached. It's hard to believe that this defense, knowing that both Verdon and TJ were both out, came out as unprepared as they did. Really disappointing to see.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
In 2024, we play two G5 schools at home as part of our non-conference schedule -- North Dakota (1st game) and Arkansas State (3rd game). Should ISU fans be worried about those games?

Yes. At least the North Dakota game. Have no idea about Ark State.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
No way we keep sending the number of fans we historically have if the coaching staff doesn’t give a rip about bowl games. Too bad.

As soon as I saw the bowl and opponent, it was an immediate nope for me. Memphis isn't enough draw on its own, and throw in that it's vs a home team and possibly bad weather? Nope and nope.

• Winner
Reactions: joefrog

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Jesus Christ what a god damned disaster. At least we didn't turn it over (aside from on downs) or it would have been just unbelievably bad.

Idc who they need to bribe or pay or whatever, but get some O Linemen STAT. Hell take money away from all the skill players and use it to only pay O Line and D line idc. ISU will never be good without them.

And if we get selected for another G5 home game bowl ever again, can we please just refuse? Or can the NCAA at least make it so that can't happen? It's total ******* ********.
Seems pretty weak to me, not about getting beat, or about having 0 yds rushing, but about never accepting a bowl bid against a G5 team again.

We win this game, I can see this argument. A G5 team was ready, Memphis, and they were the better team tonight. Never playing them or anyone like them again sounds kind of whiney.

Reactions: INTENSE_CY

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA
I am classified as a die hard. I’ve missed one home game in 20 years. I’ve been to numerous away games and haven’t missed a bowl game since I graduated college in 2009.

Today convinced me that bowl games don’t matter to our coaching staff. Maybe they are right but I spend a whole lot of money for an exhibition that we aren’t ready for.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
Honestly. Nothing public right now. I’ve said in other posts tonight and I’ll say it again. Campbell has gotten us to the most constant level of success in program history, and for that I’m very thankful. However, AD and him need to have an honest conversation about continuing to grow as a program. No I’m not saying conference title contender every year. I’m saying a reliable P5 program that doesn’t struggle to beat G5 programs most years, a program that’s has an average OL most years instead of a grade D or F line, a program that is not easily dismissed from future football realignment events that could lead us to no longer being part of the top tier level of competition.

I say go all out for basketball. Try to be Kansas, not Alabama. We can't afford to be consistently decent in football anymore. If we can squeeze out a bowl game and an 8 win season every couple of years I'd be ok with that. If we get the the Dance every year, and contend in the Big 12 every year, we won't get left out of anything. College basketball makes too much money.

Oh, and if they eventually go to a 32 team pro league or whatever, we were never gonna be invited to that anyway.

Reactions: riceville98

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

Not sure.

I've thought ISU was not very fundamentally sound for a long time among other things that held back from being better...but the overall winning record is hard to argue against. Things averaged out.

I don't see much changing soon so a decent/average team is fine by me.