Matt Campbell Watch

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
A lot of big talking going on here......which is good. Clone fans, historically, have been great emotional supporters, complainers, but tight with the pocket book.

Jamie used to publicize and compare our giving total, number of givers, percentage of graduates that give, etc. as compared to conference schools and Iowa. Haven't seen this in years. We were getting better, but I have no idea where we currently sit in this type of comparison. Historically, we were poor.

If someone has access to this data, it would be good to review and compare.

That has to change to keep moving forward. I love the conversation, but people (the masses) need to write checks - even if it is for $50/yr.

Dig deep folks.

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
Buyout reduced by 50% if Pollard is no longer AD. I don’t think it’s reasonable to expect Campbell to stay forever, but if things continue to go well, it seems like the AD/GM relationship would be a critical factor if he decided to move on. If you’re making enough, getting to choose who you work for/with is a nice perk.

Why not? I mean he could leave, but none of his actions indicate he will. These kind of statements are bizarre unless you would say them about any coach in the country, then what's the point?

flycy

Jul 17, 2008
Crescent, IA
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd rather keep a coach a year too long, than fire one a year too soon. A revolving door of getting a new coach every 3-4 years wont work at a place with a limited budget to attract coaches. Iowa State needs to sell stability and longevity over a high short term salary. What else do we have to sell new coaches on? They'll be paid near the bottom of P5 coaches and it's a tough place to win consistently. If coaching candidates also know they'll have a short leash, why would they want the job?

That's not to say we can't fire coaches. I just don't mind hanging on to someone for an extra year when most schools would have pulled the trigger.

See Texas. Even a place like Texas destroys itself through this practice.

Pat

Oct 20, 2011
Why not? I mean he could leave, but none of his actions indicate he will. These kind of statements are bizarre unless you would say them about any coach in the country, then what's the point?

The word “expect” is probably unclear as I used it. I mean, I laughed at the Jets report. You are right, everything he’s said and - more importantly - done makes me think he’ll be in Ames a long time. If he retires from ISU, that’s a win for everyone. But I don’t think that should be the EXPECTATION. I expect Bob Huggins to be at WVU for the rest of his career, but it’s a little tough to set that as the expectation for a 41-year-old in a high-turnover profession with no other ties to the town/institution.
I say this as someone who fully expected to leave Ames as soon as I graduated, and nearly 20 years later...

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Actually, if a person or institution has a line of credit attached to the account, then it is perfectly fine to write a check with no funds in the account. The person or institution then just has to be prudent and pay the LOC off over time
The problem is, that’s what Jamie’s been doing for about a year now. He said recently he expected to be servicing that debt for twenty years.

Edit: Not saying that Campbell and/or his staff won’t see a raise or extension, but you have to have a good idea of what you revenue stream is going to be, before you start throwing around contracts.

From what Jamie said a few weeks ago, he’s trying to get donors to kick in to cover the shortfall in the budget, to minimize the dent in future revenue streams.

Last edited:

glenn_thegreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2020
A lot of big talking going on here......which is good. Clone fans, historically, have been great emotional supporters, complainers, but tight with the pocket book.

Jamie used to publicize and compare our giving total, number of givers, percentage of graduates that give, etc. as compared to conference schools and Iowa. Haven't seen this in years. We were getting better, but I have no idea where we currently sit in this type of comparison. Historically, we were poor.

If someone has access to this data, it would be good to review and compare.

That has to change to keep moving forward. I love the conversation, but people (the masses) need to write checks - even if it is for $50/yr.

Dig deep folks.
If you look up the Cyclone Gridiron Club they have some numbers from 2018 and 2019 in it. I believe they got $350,000 a year in 2019. Which was the best ever for Iowa State but pretty poor compared to most P5 colleges. There's also the standard Cyclone Club where donations go to the whole Athletic department and not just football.

MeanDean

SuperFanatic
Jan 5, 2009
Blue Grass IA-Jensen Beach FL
If you look up the Cyclone Gridiron Club they have some numbers from 2018 and 2019 in it. I believe they got $350,000 a year in 2019. Which was the best ever for Iowa State but pretty poor compared to most P5 colleges. There's also the standard Cyclone Club where donations go to the whole Athletic department and not just football.
My understanding is the Gridiron club is not directly for funding normal operations, but used more for special things like throwback uniforms etc. I get the feeling the Cyclone Club still helps football baseline operations more than the Gridiron Club. If that's wrong please, someone correct me!

Of course all donations are great. I have donated to both and continue to do the Cyclone Club (after having to take a year off).

SECyclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 29, 2011
Pella
My understanding is the Gridiron club is not directly for funding normal operations, but used more for special things like throwback uniforms etc. I get the feeling the Cyclone Club still helps football baseline operations more than the Gridiron Club. If that's wrong please, someone correct me!

Of course all donations are great. I have donated to both and continue to do the Cyclone Club (after having to take a year off).

Think it more travel expenses and tech that the team needs that the department doesn't cover. Also donating to the new student athlete center.

• Informative
Reactions: MeanDean

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I'm going to borrow this for the basketball threads.

The time and leash that Pollard gives his coaches is attractive.

It also happens to dovetail nicely with our limited resources to be hiring and firing often.
Not to derail but that isn’t a fair comparison. Giving a long leash is important and I am supportive of that. The basketball program is beyond a long leash at this point. Basketball is having such a long leash you still haven’t realized the dog is dead.

• Disagree
Reactions: Aclone

Mr.G.Spot

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 22, 2020
I give to both. The CGC is awesome, but not enough participation for a passionate fan base. A lot of strong opinions need to start writing checks

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

WIB

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 2, 2010
Ames
I had heard about the Lions thing over the weekend from a solid source, but to be honest I didn't think there was any chance he would go to the Lions so I convinced myself it was untrue. Thankfully it didn't materialize!

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I had heard about the Lions thing over the weekend from a solid source, but to be honest I didn't think there was any chance he would go to the Lions so I convinced myself it was untrue. Thankfully it didn't materialize!

So did he actually interview with them?

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
The problem is, that’s what Jamie’s been doing for about a year now. He said recently he expected to be servicing that debt for twenty years.
Edit: Not saying that Campbell and/or his staff won’t see a raise or extension, but you have to have a good idea of what you revenue stream is going to be, before you start throwing around contracts.
So did he actually interview with them?
Some program or something says the Lions “spoke” to him, then the proceeded to include him in a list of “interviews”.

I’m thinking “interview” is a really broad definition.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

Some program or something says the Lions “spoke” to him, then the proceeded to include him in a list of “interviews”.

I’m thinking “interview” is a really broad definition.

ESPN said Matt Campbell on some show but then the lions said they interviewed Dan Campbell. But then someone on here says they’ve heard he did interview. It probably doesn’t matter but I’d like to know ;)

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron