Matt Campbell Watch

Triggermv

Jul 16, 2010
Marion, IA
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd rather keep a coach a year too long, than fire one a year too soon. A revolving door of getting a new coach every 3-4 years wont work at a place with a limited budget to attract coaches. Iowa State needs to sell stability and longevity over a high short term salary. What else do we have to sell new coaches on? They'll be paid near the bottom of P5 coaches and it's a tough place to win consistently. If coaching candidates also know they'll have a short leash, why would they want the job?

That's not to say we can't fire coaches. I just don't mind hanging on to someone for an extra year when most schools would have pulled the trigger.

While I agree with a lot of what you say, I do think even our own fans live too much in the past of what the ISU athletics department was and its revenue in relation of others. While we may have been one of the sisters of the poor and near last by way of gross revenue 20 years ago, is it honestly true now to say that? In fact, the latest gross revenue numbers show us at #34 of the 65 total power 5 programs out there (#5 of 10 in the Big 12). To me, this puts us squarely in the middle. Granted, this was pre-covid, so who the heck knows as to its effect now exactly. Regardless, not only is it not accurate to say we pay our coaches near the bottom of P5 coaches, but to say its also true to our future capacity to pay coaches isn't even true to our current budget.

P.S..... send JP your thanks for this

Last edited:

glenn_thegreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2020
While I agree with a lot of what you say, I do think even our own fans live too much in the past of what the ISU athletics department was and its revenue in relation of others. While we may have been one of the sisters of the poor and near last by way of gross revenue 20 years ago, is it honestly true now to say that? In fact, the latest gross revenue numbers show us at #34 of the 65 total power 5 programs out there (#5 of 10 in the Big 12). To me, this is square in the middle. Granted, this was pre-covid, so who the heck knows as to its effect now exactly. Regardless, not only is it not accurate to say we pay our coaches near the bottom of P5 coaches, but to say that is our future ability isn't even true to our current budget.

Great analysis. Especially with how with other conferences handled covid, we should easily surpass 90% of both the PAC12 and BIG10 in revenue and be right in the middle of Big12, ACC and SEC atleast for 2020. We can easily offer Campbell a competitive salary ($4 - $4.5mil) and enough money for his staff.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
So, can we assume that an extension was indeed agreed upon that we will learn details of later? CMC and JP tweets seemed a bit more cryptic than normal.

Or Campbell had already told Jamie that he isn't going anywhere and there isn't a rush to get something done and to let him go on a freaking vacation for a change. :)

• Winner
Reactions: wgleason and Aclone

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
JP is great, and he has done just about everything under the sun to drag ISU into the modern age of college athletics, but for some reason Iowa State really, really lags in the quality and amount of corporate sponsorships compared to our peers.

And I can get on my soapbox about the distribution of Cyclone Radio properties outside of central Iowa as well if you want.

I know 2020 has been weird, but ISU has to get better at exploiting these other revenue sources if they want to keep up in things like salaries. Hopefully with the positive vibes from this season and everyone returning next year the bandwagon effect will be something on which Pollard can cash in.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
True. But it has to encourage a coach, especially a guy who has a "process", that a fanbase and athletic department are willing to give somebody the time to let things materialize.

I honestly don't see why. Coaches understand how things work. They know that coaches who bottom out like Rhoads don't get it rebuilt even if they have time. They just have to be wired to expect that they can't bottom out like that.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
We should give Campbell and assistants more money. Bump Campbell to $5 Mil, and add another Million to the assistants pool. Even at those prices ISU is getting a decent deal.
“Should” is such a great word.

And then there are the realities of a COVID year revenue stream.

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
“Should” is such a great word.

And then there are the realities of a COVID year revenue stream.

the reality of losing the amazing enthusiasm around the program that likely leads to years of significantly increased revenue would ultimately dwarf the impact of the COVID losses. Locking up Campbell and paying market prices will ultimately pay for itself.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Doesn't matter, if you want to keep a coach and his staff that has taken you to places the university has never been, they need to be paid accordingly.

Exactly...we gotta make it happen. I'm not sure about the particulars of the money. All i know is i donated to the program and will agian as soon as i can. The success we've had the past few years is just something i never want to end. Like my boss tells me work....get it done.

A_storm_is_comin

Jan 9, 2021
Only politicians do that.

I see ur point. Luckily i think iowa state university can probably take out low interest loan at some financial institution. Haha. No clue if thats actually possible. I just want CMC to be the coach at iowa state forever lol

Reactions: cytor

TheHelgo

Mar 20, 2006
Do you often write checks with no money in the account?

Actually, if a person or institution has a line of credit attached to the account, then it is perfectly fine to write a check with no funds in the account. The person or institution then just has to be prudent and pay the LOC off over time