Matt Campbell Watch

BWRhasnoAC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2013
Dez Moy Nez
A part of me thinks that Matt does get annoyed with our clingyness and our abandonment issues. But then I also think that when people do crap like this, and undermine ISU and it's humble accomplishments that he has a soft spot for us.

LivntheCyLife

Nov 25, 2006
St. Louis, MO
So, can we assume that an extension was indeed agreed upon that we will learn details of later? CMC and JP tweets seemed a bit more cryptic than normal.

It could be they think it's poor PR to announce with Covid still ongoing. Or it could be that Campbell doesn't think it makes sense to sign an extension this year. Either way, it seems safe to say they've had their annual end of season meeting. It likely went well since they both tweeted.

glenn_thegreat

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 27, 2020
I think they posted it today to show everyone that it’s done and to stop the speculation. I don’t think people usually announce contracts on the weekends though, probably announce it sometime this week

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
So, can we assume that an extension was indeed agreed upon that we will learn details of later? CMC and JP tweets seemed a bit more cryptic than normal.

For the 100th time, Jamie has said that there’s no rush this year because the regular season was still going on when it was signing day. No reason to rush.

CycloneVet

Jul 17, 2011
Cedar Falls
A part of me thinks that Matt does get annoyed with our clingyness and our abandonment issues. But then I also think that when people do crap like this, and undermine ISU and it's humble accomplishments that he has a soft spot for us.

Matt is a smart guy, he understands our abandonment issues. I figure a couple more rounds of us worrying about him leaving and then doesn’t should really galvanize this fan base.

Reactions: BWRhasnoAC

SCNCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 11, 2009
La Fox, IL
Matt is a smart guy, he understands our abandonment issues. I figure a couple more rounds of us worrying about him leaving and then doesn’t should really galvanize this fan base.

I am in the same boat and agree with this. Its common in college sports that once you are successful, that you move on to a better/prestige school that has more resources at its disposal. This has been the case with ISU (Majors, Bruce), while only a few stayed (McCarney). Most of our coaches have been fired. With that being said, I think once we get through a couple more seasons of Cambell turning down jobs, we will get further and further away from the ledge each season.

I believe, that Notre Dame and Ohio State are the big risks. Outside risk of Michigan. Outside of those, I am not sure which other schools would appeal to Campbell that he doesn't already get here. I am not so sure about the NFL for Campbell.

StateThrowdown

Oct 27, 2008
Jasper County
Does anyone else think that part of the reason Campbell appreciates Iowa State (or at least why he took the job in the first place) is the way we treated Paul Rhoads? The kind of patience and appreciation the fanbase and AD gave him seems rare in today's big time college athletics.

Reactions: isutrevman

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Does anyone else think that part of the reason Campbell appreciates Iowa State (or at least why he took the job in the first place) is the way we treated Paul Rhoads? The kind of patience and appreciation the fanbase and AD gave him seems rare in today's big time college athletics.

I'm going to borrow this for the basketball threads.

The time and leash that Pollard gives his coaches is attractive.

It also happens to dovetail nicely with our limited resources to be hiring and firing often.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com

No, because a coach expects not to collapse like Rhoads did.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA
I'm going to borrow this for the basketball threads.

The time and leash that Pollard gives his coaches is attractive.

It also happens to dovetail nicely with our limited resources to be hiring and firing often.
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd rather keep a coach a year too long, than fire one a year too soon. A revolving door of getting a new coach every 3-4 years wont work at a place with a limited budget to attract coaches. Iowa State needs to sell stability and longevity over a high short term salary. What else do we have to sell new coaches on? They'll be paid near the bottom of P5 coaches and it's a tough place to win consistently. If coaching candidates also know they'll have a short leash, why would they want the job?

That's not to say we can't fire coaches. I just don't mind hanging on to someone for an extra year when most schools would have pulled the trigger.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I've said it before and I'll say it again. I'd rather keep a coach a year too long, than fire one a year too soon. A revolving door of getting a new coach every 3-4 years wont work at a place with a limited budget to attract coaches. Iowa State needs to sell stability and longevity over a high short term salary. What else do we have to sell new coaches on? They'll be paid near the bottom of P5 coaches and it's a tough place to win consistently. If coaching candidates also know they'll have a short leash, why would they want the job?

That's not to say we can't fire coaches. I just don't mind hanging on to someone for an extra year when most schools would have pulled the trigger.
Campbell is paid near the bottom of P5 coaches?

Reactions: Cyclones_R_GR8

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
According to the link Campbell is 41st. There are 39 P5 coaches (and one G5 coach - Holgerson) ahead of him. That means there are 25 behind him (including Kelly @ ND). That puts him in the 38th percentile of the P5.

These are just facts. I will let you all fight over if that is near the bottom or not.

isutrevman

Jan 30, 2007
Ames, IA

After looking at this list, it's not quite as bad as I thought. He's 41st nationally. which puts him in about the bottom third of P5 coaches. He's 5th-6th in the Big 12 (not knowing what Baylor pays). Most of the coaches behind him are new hires in the first or second season though.

I didn't realize how poorly the ACC pays coaches. Campbell is paid less than every single Big Ten and SEC coach except Arkansas, but is higher than 6 ACC coaches.

Reactions: VeloClone