Matt Campbell Watch

Drew0311

Nov 7, 2019
Norwalk, Iowa
Everyone who keeps saying the Jets suck and it’s a terrible job might want to look back a few years when he took a job with a team that sucked and was considered a terrible job. Maybe that’s what he likes. Taking the bottom team and turning it into something. I mean most jobs in the nfl suck that have openings, otherwise they would not need a new coach.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
If he does interview it means he's looking elsewhere. Get over it. Ames is not the destination spot most Cyclone fans think it is. And for the argument as to how much money does someone really need. Anyone in any job anywhere would have to at least listen to an offer of 3 or 4 times their current salary.
The key part of that statement being “If he does interview”. I haven’t seen any solid indication yet that he will, aside from hyperbole from the Jets’ side of things.

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Whether or not this source is reliable or not, when the last 3 years there's been a contract extension announced almost immediately after the end of the regular season and that has not occurred this year, the longer without hearing news on an extension the more concerning that will feel. Especially since this is a year in which that extension is almost guaranteed to be offered given the title game and fiesta bowl.

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City
Whether or not this source is reliable or not, when the last 3 years there's been a contract extension announced almost immediately after the end of the regular season and that has not occurred this year, the longer without hearing news on an extension the more concerning that will feel. Especially since this is a year in which that extension is almost guaranteed to be offered given the title game and fiesta bowl.

This year isn’t exactly like the last 3-4 years. I’m not that concerned yet

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I agree. But Jamie did address this. There was zero time between the end of the regular season and bowl season. And Matt is apparently on vacation for a few weeks. Jamie said that in previous years they had announced the extension prior to early signing day for recruiting reasons. And hammered out details later. This year there wasn’t time for that.

It very well could be that they didn’t announce anything on Sunday because Matt wants out. Who knows?

cycloneML

Mar 5, 2008
If he does interview it means he's looking elsewhere. Get over it. Ames is not the destination spot most Cyclone fans think it is. And for the argument as to how much money does someone really need. Anyone in any job anywhere would have to at least listen to an offer of 3 or 4 times their current salary.
Wonder if extension talks have broken down. That would be pretty hard to accept, if someone’s ego got in the way.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
Wonder if extension talks have broken down. That would be pretty hard to accept, if someone’s ego got in the way.
Jamie said a while back that after the season was complete, he was going to have to go over all the finances to assess the damage a COVID year did, and how to deal with it.

I don’t expect that’s a quick and easy process.

• Agree
Reactions: JM4CY

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Who’s saying it’s a destination spot?

AllInForISU

Nov 24, 2012
I’m not going to worry about it. He’s our coach and will be until he isn’t. If you are that concerned about it, get out the checkbook. If not, just enjoy it while we can. I know that’s too much to ask for some people but just a reminder that you can’t control anything about it unless you are willing to pony up for his extension.

cycloneworld

Facebook Knows All
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 20, 2006
Urbandale, IA
I agree. But Jamie did address this. There was zero time between the end of the regular season and bowl season. And Matt is apparently on vacation for a few weeks. Jamie said that in previous years they had announced the extension prior to early signing day for recruiting reasons. And hammered out details later. This year there wasn’t time for that.

It very well could be that they didn’t announce anything on Sunday because Matt wants out. Who knows?

But many posters on CF has said “money doesn’t matter” to Matt Campbell (which they have no idea).

The reality is that he’s the 41st highest paid coach in college football. That’s an embarrassment and needs to be corrected.

fsanford

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 22, 2007
Los Angeles
Everyone who keeps saying the Jets suck and it’s a terrible job might want to look back a few years when he took a job with a team that sucked and was considered a terrible job. Maybe that’s what he likes. Taking the bottom team and turning it into something. I mean most jobs in the nfl suck that have openings, otherwise they would not need a new coach.
big difference in a situation you run the show, vs having to deal with someone else running the show. He is not going to be the GM.

FallOf81

Oct 24, 2017
Even if he does, there is zero harm in doing it. Let’s say Campbell does have interest in the NFL someday - you might as well interview and go through the process to see what it’s like. I think there is a very small chance he leaves with the team coming back. But it’s possible he’s practicing for next year.
Zero harm?
Very much disagree.
How about recruiting! This starts the Hoiberg *hit all over again.
Other teams use it again us when fighting for a recruit.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron