Michigan

PickSix

Aug 25, 2013
If one person cheats, you can argue lone wolf. When two cheat, it's evidence of a culture that does not respect the rules. ESPECIALLY when put in context of Michigan's other issues the past 3 years.

In light of this revelation, I'm stepping down as a defender of Harbaugh in this case.

• Creative
Reactions: BACyclone

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
This is what I’m saying. This is a media-driven story.

That said, this drama is getting juicy! I’m getting my popcorn ready

I mean, calling it "media-driven" probably goes too far in the opposite direction. It's a real thing, and it should be investigated and punished. And certainly there are lots of potential implications here...say some gambling angle is uncovered. Then sht gets real.

But as of now, this looks like just a more sophisticated exploitation of something that's legal anyway - and could have been rendered moot at any time if coaches had just changed up their signals, which is something they should be doing anyway. And it's not as if Michigan football's on-field edge has suffered for this having been exposed.

Reactions: PickSix

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
I mean, calling it "media-driven" probably goes too far in the opposite direction. It's a real thing, and it should be investigated and punished. And certainly there are lots of potential implications here...say some gambling angle is uncovered. Then sht gets real.

But as of now, this looks like just a more sophisticated exploitation of something that's legal anyway - and could have been rendered moot at any time if coaches had just changed up their signals, which is something they should be doing anyway. And it's not as if Michigan football's on-field edge has suffered for this having been exposed.
Fair enough. I agree something happened, so it’s not fabricated by the media. I like your term, exploited. Better way to describe it.

Tre4ISU

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 30, 2008
Estherville
Has there ever been a bigger gap between how much media coverage a CFB scandal has drawn vs. the actual severity of the offense? Tattoo-gate maybe?

I'm not saying this is nothing and should be ignored...but it's just not that big of a deal? I see suggestions that Michigan should be kept out of the B1G championship and playoff and that seems so wildly out of proportion that I can't believe it.
Tattoo gate is a good comparison. Everyone is paying players and OSU somehow gets the hit.

This is a big deal because it Harbaugh. If this is Brady Hoke, just not a huge deal.

mwwbbfan

Jun 1, 2010
Iowa City, IA
Tattoo gate is a good comparison. Everyone is paying players and OSU somehow gets the hit.

This is a big deal because it Harbaugh. If this is Brady Hoke, just not a huge deal.

Not sure about this since I am not real in tune to what happens in a football game - but some former college coaches I have heard discuss it says it is a big deal, especially the in-person / electronic component of it. One said that the normal stuff you can get is maybe personnel groupings, but this gave them actual play info so that is why it was different.

qwerty

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 3, 2020
Muscatine, IA

Michigan vs Iowa in I think 1901.
Probably could have matched that this year if they really wanted to.

1702699811333.png