Missing NW Iowa Men

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Talking to family over the weekend and they brought up these 2 missing men. I hadn’t heard anything about it.

First one is Mark Riesberg. He went missing in October. I can’t find this in the news, but according to my family his car was found on a gravel road with the cell phone and wallet in the car. I’m not finding much info on this one.

Second is David Schultz and this one is really suspicious.
He drives truck and hauls hogs. On Tuesday, Nov 21st he picked up a load of feeder pigs in Eagle Grove and was supposed to deliver them in Sac City.
The next morning they found his semi with the pigs still in the trailer, going north of Sac City.
The truck was in the road, not pulled off to the side and his wallet and phone were in the truck too.

Really weird, scary stuff.
Probably not related, but pretty coincidental to have similar missing persons cases close together in rural Iowa like this.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Have some friends of friends with the 2nd one, that's made its way across my fb a few times. I kinda assumed suicide on the 2nd but hadn't heard there was a load of hogs with him. Just sounded like he went out in his truck and didn't return.

JP4CY

I'm Mike Jones
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
Testifying
There was a rumor of a third but the guy just shut off his cell phone/bought a new one and wants to be left alone?

Reactions: jmb and Cdiedrick

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Really strange situation. Do we have a serial killer in Iowa? Or is this just a coincidence?

Reactions: Cdiedrick

DSMCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 1, 2013
West Des Moines
Have some friends of friends with the 2nd one, that's made its way across my fb a few times. I kinda assumed suicide on the 2nd but hadn't heard there was a load of hogs with him. Just sounded like he went out in his truck and didn't return.
I had the timeline a little wrong in my post.
He left home at 7:30pm on Monday, Nov 20th. He was picking up a load of pigs from Eagle Grove to bring back to Sac City.
I believe he lives around Sac City as well, so that’s probably around 3-4 hour drive round trip.
The next morning the owner goes to his house and tells his wife he never delivered the pigs.
They find his truck on the highway that afternoon (Tuesday). Like I posted, truck is just sitting in the road, pigs still in the trailer, his wallet and phone are in the truck.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
Really strange situation. Do we have a serial killer in Iowa? Or is this just a coincidence?
Doubtful we have a serial killer.

I don't know about the other missing guy, but the truck driver is looking like foul play of some kind. They've stopped looking for the driver in the area where the truck was found. Yesterday they were searching 75 miles away around Fort Dodge. It would take a couple people to relocate the semi in the middle of the night. I hope he's found.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
I had the timeline a little wrong in my post.
He left home at 7:30pm on Monday, Nov 20th. He was picking up a load of pigs from Eagle Grove to bring back to Sac City.
I believe he lives around Sac City as well, so that’s probably around 3-4 hour drive round trip.
The next morning the owner goes to his house and tells his wife he never delivered the pigs.
They find his truck on the highway that afternoon (Tuesday). Like I posted, truck is just sitting in the road, pigs still in the trailer, his wallet and phone are in the truck.

Yeah the article with details makes it seem more suspicious with coat in the ditch, truck left on the road.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa

I don't know about the other missing guy, but the truck driver is looking like foul play of some kind. They've stopped looking for the driver in the area where the truck was found. Yesterday they were searching 75 miles away around Fort Dodge. It would take a couple people to relocate the semi in the middle of the night. I hope he's found.
The other thing is load out coveralls weren’t found in the truck. Sort of points towards didn’t even leave in the truck?

• Agree
Reactions: Die4Cy

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I have not seen any details on the Riesberg case anywhere. I do know that flyers distributed early on were looking for him along with his car, but for whatever reason that case has not gotten nearly as much attention.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
What do you mean? I know what the coveralls are but am missing something here.
When a driver arrives at a livestock site, standard operating procedure would be to change into different clothes for biosecurity reasons. They change out of them when they get into the truck and drive away. Since they never found them in the truck, they believe he may never have gotten back in after loading.

ISU22CY

Dec 15, 2012
Iowa
What do you mean? I know what the coveralls are but am missing something here.
They weren’t in the semi. He would have changed out of them so they should have been in the semi but weren’t from what has been said. Idk just relaying what has been shared elsewhere

Reactions: cowgirl836

4cy16

Jun 14, 2021

If they were checking around the FD area, did they check the Top Hat Lounge.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
When a driver arrives at a livestock site, he changes into different clothes for biosecurity reasons. They change out of them when they get into the truck and drive away. Since they never found them in the truck, they believe he may never have gotten back in after loading.

Ok that's what I thought he was getting at, that he didn't get back after loading like normal. So the implication is that something happened at the site, not on the road.

• Agree
Reactions: aauummm and Die4Cy

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Ok that's what I thought he was getting at, that he didn't get back after loading like normal. So the implication is that something happened at the site, not on the road.

If that's the case I wonder if there's anyway to check cell tower pings to see if the timing is at all off. Hard to say because I imagine loading time can vary, but if it's significantly different from what you'd expect, could indicate something.

RagingCloner

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 2, 2022
There was a similar situation in Chicago recently, where men were just randomly disappearing, it was assumed that it was a serial killer. Concern that potentially he’s moved on from the Chicago area

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
I have nothing to go on but given what we know so far my guess is the driver may have been involved with some unsavory characters and it caught up with him, ie drug trafficking or something like that. This stuff is going on in rural Iowa every day.

Reactions: 2122