MONDAY MUSINGS: Winter is coming, the CFP's future & Hoiberg's next move

SpokaneCY

Apr 11, 2006
Spokane, WA
I've never been to a game in Chicago but I can tell you what happens in Minnesota if you wear a Bears shirt.

I've been hit in the head with a snowball, seen Bears players get hit in the head with snowballs from non-existent security. I've been cornered in the bathroom and called an expletive for no reason other than the fact the Bears were destroying the Vikings.

I've been threatened on the light rail on the way home by some drunken idiot who I could have beatup with 1 hand tied behind my back. I asked him what his problem was, his response "If there is one thing I hate more than Packers fans, its Bears fans, my goal tonight is to kick the %##$ out of some Bear fans". Nevermind the fact I have always been with my Vikings buddy who has season tickets up there.

None of that even comes close to the scuffle I saw in the stands once when I went up with my friend to a random game, wasnt even Chicago. This guy had a "Favre" Packers jersey on, now mind you, this is when Favre actually played for the Vikings!! So you guys hate other teams so bad you decided to start fighting this guy even though he had a Favre jersey? This guy wasnt even doing anything, but all of a sudden gets beer poured on him and fans screaming obscenities at him.

You could make the case that this happens at all stadiums, but I've been to Kansas City with my dad numerous times because he is a Broncos fan and nobody has said a word to either of us at those games. Weird.

Those are all bad. Are you SURE it's not just you?

Reactions: SerenityNow

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Those are all bad. Are you SURE it's not just you?

Lol, yeah, because when Im with my friend who has Vikings season tickets, my objective is to be a big of $%$$ as possible at games, disrespect his team, and not get invited back for future games.

Seriously, I might cheer for my team, but I definitely don't run my mouth or go around looking for trouble.

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
I've never been to a game in Chicago but I can tell you what happens in Minnesota if you wear a Bears shirt.

I've been hit in the head with a snowball, seen Bears players get hit in the head with snowballs from non-existent security. I've been cornered in the bathroom and called an expletive for no reason other than the fact the Bears were destroying the Vikings.

I've been threatened on the light rail on the way home by some drunken idiot who I could have beatup with 1 hand tied behind my back. I asked him what his problem was, his response "If there is one thing I hate more than Packers fans, its Bears fans, my goal tonight is to kick the %##$ out of some Bear fans". Nevermind the fact I have always been with my Vikings buddy who has season tickets up there.

None of that even comes close to the scuffle I saw in the stands once when I went up with my friend to a random game, wasnt even Chicago. This guy had a "Favre" Packers jersey on, now mind you, this is when Favre actually played for the Vikings!! So you guys hate other teams so bad you decided to start fighting this guy even though he had a Favre jersey? This guy wasnt even doing anything, but all of a sudden gets beer poured on him and fans screaming obscenities at him.

You could make the case that this happens at all stadiums, but I've been to Kansas City with my dad numerous times because he is a Broncos fan and nobody has said a word to either of us at those games. Weird.

I've only been to two games in KC and have never had a problem down there either. Chicago is brutal though. I've never had a problem on the train, but have seen a Packers fan get screwed with the entire 45 minute ride that I was on it. Stealing his hat, patting his head as well as calling him all the names in the book. There are probably places like KC, that are pretty good, places that get much, much worse, like Philly, but my experiences at Soldier field have made it bad enough that I don't really care to go there for games again. Chicago fans are far from innocent. Now, I've only been to Minnesota as a fan of the Vikings, haven't been to the new stadium yet and I've never seen a North Division game there. So I've never seen the reaction you did, but I wasn't looking for it either.

Sigmapolis

Minister of Economy
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 10, 2011
Waukee
Chris, you say "Blow up these uneven divisions and have the two best teams in your league play one another."

So, how do you do this in leagues where not everyone plays each other? Getting rid of divisions and stating that you want the top two teams to play is one thing. Making it happen in a 14 team league seems like you would need an elaborate scheduling and tie-breaking system. Do you have such a recommendation?

It is not that hard to have a few protected rivalries that invariably appear on the schedule (e.g., Ohio State and Michigan) and randomize/rotate the remainder.

Suppose Iowa has protected rivalry games with Nebraska, Minnesota, and Wisconsin. Those three always appear out of a possible 13, leaving ten remaining.

The remaining ten rotate 6/10 every year.

So every five years, you play everybody three times.

Every freshman class (assuming they stay five years) would expect to see each opponent no fewer than three times and at least two times if they graduate in four.

Last edited:
Reactions: Cycsk

EnhancedFujita

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2013
Johnston
Why is CFB obsessed with ensuring the best teams play for the Championship yet in MBB the chaos of the tournament is celebrated? I'm tired of seeing Bama and Clemson in the title game so often. Maybe they still make it with a bigger playoff, but at least there'd be a bigger chance.

I've always thought they should just blow up the current conferences, add some teams, then create 8 regional divisions of 10 teams each. Each division plays round robin, plus 3 out of division games against teams from other divisions. There is an 8 team playoff for the National Title and the only way in is to win your division. Then create a secondary tournament like the NIT, or keep the bowl system, to reward the other top teams from each division.

It might be watered down at first by adding teams, and it might favor one division initially, but over the long-term those trends would change as all things do in sports.

• Agree
Reactions: Moonbot5000

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
That is the perception of a visiting fan, no matter the fanbase. At Soldier Field, I've had beer and soda thrown at me, been called a purple queer (also think of any other homophobic slurrs) during the games. I even watched two drunk Bears fans, a row in front of me hassle a Vikings family, with two kids under the age of 10 during an entire game. They were using the F word and C word non stop as they were yelling at this family, with young kids. If you look for it, it's always there, you just don't notice it at your home field because the majority like you because you are wearing their colors.

As a native Chicagoan, and I think this fits your narrative, I would call some Bears fans obnoxious, but not necessarily arrogant.

tolfbfan

Nov 29, 2015
Ohio
From article:

"I am not prioritizing one over the other in respect to the NBA and college," Hoiberg said. The jobs are so different that you cannot compare them, so I plan on evaluating whatever opportunities may come independently."

To me that says it's 50/50 between college or NBA.

Sounds like a guy that doesn't want to eliminate his employment opportunities!

ISUAgronomist

Nov 5, 2009
On the farm, IA
ALL you need to do is bring back
xd5zx3.png

FIFY

Blandboy

Mar 31, 2006
Bettendorf

Sounds like what happens in Kinnick when you dare to wear your team’s gear. Knew there were purple Hoks; just thought they were from UNI.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Arrogant Bears fans? What do we have to be arrogant about? I always felt a kinship with my Viking brethren in our hatred for the Pack? You hurt me Chris.

I'm assuming the dig at the Bears was tongue in cheek to one of the biggest fails in modern NFL history when The Vikings blew it in the NFC Championship game almost exactly 20 years ago.

A veteran who hasn't missed all season missing a 38 yarder on that stage is way more painful than a guy who's missed plenty and got it partially blocked on a 3 seed 12-4 team in the wildcard round.

Or maybe it was Favre throwing a pick vs. the Saints.

Or Favre throwing a pick in his last play as a Packer.

Reactions: CyJeans

Clonefan94

Oct 18, 2006
Schaumburg, IL
As a native Chicagoan, and I think this fits your narrative, I would call some Bears fans obnoxious, but not necessarily arrogant.

True, Bears fans are not really arrogant. I wasnt responding to that as much as the rest of the post and how fans van act against visiting fans. I fo agree though, arrogant doesn't fit Bears fans.

LindenCy

Kevin Dresser Fan Club
Staff member
Mar 19, 2006
Chicago, IL
True, Bears fans are not really arrogant. I wasnt responding to that as much as the rest of the post and how fans van act against visiting fans. I fo agree though, arrogant doesn't fit Bears fans.

Yeah. I would definitely say that they can be obnoxious though. :) Of course a lot of NFL fans are at the stadium.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Yeah. I would definitely say that they can be obnoxious though. :) Of course a lot of NFL fans are at the stadium.

For as crazy as college fans get, I think of NFL fans as CRAZY.

Bob: How was the weekend, Dale?

Dale: Pretty good. Fish Fry Friday night with the fam, raked leaves Saturday and caught the ABC night game while the kids had a Halloween party down the block.

Then Sunday I painted my body in purple and gold and wore nothing but fur and shoulder pads, went to the Vikings game, drank for 4 hours and screamed my head off for 4 hours more. Back home in time for the Sunday night game on TV and was in bed by 9:30.

• Winner
Reactions: LindenCy

HardcoreClone

Jul 28, 2006
I'd like to see the playoff expand to 8 teams, or even more....

My ideal would go back to smaller regional conferences (8 groups of 10 teams?). Play round robin schedules to determine true champ, or top 2 for conference championship game.

But that also means blowing up the current setup and the cash cow the conferences are currently enjoying. You think the B1G and $EC are gonna give up their huge network deals?

Knownothing

Nov 22, 2006
Not sure why anyone is complaining about the final four in football. The four best teams made it in. Someone could argue Ohio State or Georgia over OU and Notre Dame. It would just delayed the ending to Clemson beating down whomever they played.