Movie Remakes - The Good, The Bad, The Ugly

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
With endless remakes over the past several years and for the foreseeable future, what have you liked, hated, etc?

When growing up in the 90s, I watched movies like Roadhouse, Tango & Cash, Under Siege, Goonies, etc a lot (even though probably a little young for them). There are certain movies that to me are off limits - Roadhouse and Tango & Cash are prime examples.

I see that Prime is coming out with a new Roadhouse remake. I'm highly disappointed they're labeling it as a remake because it looks so different from the original and Swayze cannot be replicated. It does however look like a good no-thinking necessary action movie on it's own. But a remake it is not.

A good example to me is Lion King - I think the live action version was really well done.

Reactions: Letterkenny

ISUChippewa

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
If the "Roadhouse" remake doesn't have the same level of gratuitous nudity as the original then I have no interest in seeing it.

Anyway...the "Point Break" remake that came out a few years ago was an absolute atrocity. One of the worst movies I've ever seen.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The magic of Roadhouse is that it seemed like every single actor looked like they knew just how ridiculous everything was but still went all in.

I can all but guarantee the remake won't have that.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The magic of Roadhouse is that it seemed like every single actor looked like they knew just how ridiculous everything was but still went all in.

I can all but guarantee the remake won't have that.

Swayze is also the most underutilized action star ever.

He’s like a dancing gymnast ninja. I’d have loved to cast him in tons of 80s and 90s action movies instead of the actual stars. It’s like if Van Damme was actually a good actor.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

He’s like a dancing gymnast ninja. I’d have loved to cast him in tons of 80s and 90s action movies instead of the actual stars. It’s like if Van Damme was actually a good actor.

There's stuff out there about it didn't matter the role: he put his all into it. That's part of the charm.

houjix

Jul 21, 2021
I've seen a few of those live version remakes of Disney classics due to my kids. I find them all to barely be watchable.
I think I maybe watched the Jungle Book and Christopher Robin (not technically a remake) Dumbo is supposedly decent, but haven't seen it. The others I've just had no desire to watch as they didn't seem interesting or I didn't care for the original all that much. The future slate has some of my all-time favorites with Hercules, Sword in the Stone, and Robin Hood and one of my kids' favorites in Lilo & Stitch. We'll see how well they do with those.

Last edited:

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I think I maybe watched the Jungle Book and Christopher Robin (not technically a remake) Dumbo is supposedly decent, but haven't seen it. The others I've just had no desire to watch as they didn't seem interesting or I didn't care for the original all that much. The future slate has some of my all-time favorites with Hercules, Sword in the Stone, and Robin and one of my kids favorites in Lilo & Stitch. We'll see how well they do with those.
They all suck. Although, I did hear or read somewhere that if Will Smith had turned them down to do the Genie in Aladin, they were going to have....... Jack Black do it. Now THAT I am sure I would of enjoyed.

Reactions: VeloClone

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
With endless remakes over the past several years and for the foreseeable future, what have you liked, hated, etc?

When growing up in the 90s, I watched movies like Roadhouse, Tango & Cash, Under Siege, Goonies, etc a lot (even though probably a little young for them). There are certain movies that to me are off limits - Roadhouse and Tango & Cash are prime examples.

I see that Prime is coming out with a new Roadhouse remake. I'm highly disappointed they're labeling it as a remake because it looks so different from the original and Swayze cannot be replicated. It does however look like a good no-thinking necessary action movie on it's own. But a remake it is not.

A good example to me is Lion King - I think the live action version was really well done.

Won't this be remake #2?

vyJqqs.gif

coolerifyoudid

Feb 8, 2013
KC
Good - Dune, Ocean's 11 (although the original is good too)
Bad - Red Dawn, Psycho (with Vince Vaughn), Karate Kid (w/ Jaden Smith)
Ugly - Ghostbusters, Fantastic 4, Ben Hur

Helser 83

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 7, 2022
The movie Sabrina with Harrison Ford was a good remake of the 1954 version that I liked. When I first watched it I didn't realize it was a remake so when I realized it, I went back and watched the original which was good as well. It's funny how things change so much in 40 years and yet how much remains the same.

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

How would you rate JCVD's dancing?

giphy.gif

• Funny
Reactions: Fishhead and HFCS

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
The early 2000s remake of Dawn of the Dead is the rare remake we’re fans of a cherished classic have to admit the remake is really good.