Random Thoughts 18: The Year of Fire

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Yeah, you vomited out some nice judgment here. So far, absolutely nothing that could explain anything from the dude's own experience. Pretty nasty, so have fun with that. Maybe dig the plank out of your own eye while you're at it.
As someone who knows nothing at all about the situation, maybe you should back off from the guy who has lived next to the situation for years.

CycloneErik

Jan 31, 2008
Jamerica
rememberingdoria.wordpress.com
As someone who knows nothing at all about the situation, maybe you should back off from the guy who has lived next to the situation for years.

Sounds like he should back off the dude with troubles. There are many better questions to ask and find out than dump on some dude with struggles. Hell, in your other post, you offered that the dude is already doing what he can to help. What if that's actually all he can do?

Mercy over judgment is better every time.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Maybe I misunderstood but I thought the 40 year old already lives with them jobless, not able to contribute to the living arrangements. Now they are going to pay him to do what he should have been doing before to earn his keep.
His parents are going to pay him so he can pay back the $1800 OWI fine that his parents paid.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Sounds like he should back off the dude with troubles. There are many better questions to ask and find out than dump on some dude with struggles. Hell, in your other post, you offered that the dude is already doing what he can to help. What if that's actually all he can do?

Mercy over judgment is better every time.
I have dealt with people with alcoholism, including in my own family. At some point you have to quit enabling. People who don't hit bottom very, very rarely get help. I would say never but I'm sure there are a few outliers out there. Just from the narrative of the post they have tried many times to get him help but he refuses. Sometimes tough love is the best you can do for someone. A guy who hasn't moved out of his parent's house in 40 years likely needs a little tough love.

I defended Larry Eustachy back in the day saying that they should have given him a chance at treatment. But later, even Larry himself said it wouldn't have worked. He wasn't ready to give up the bottle. As we say in recovery circles, he hadn't hit bottom.

cycloner29

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
I have dealt with people with alcoholism, including in my own family. At some point you have to quit enabling. People who don't hit bottom very, very rarely get help. I would say never but I'm sure there are a few outliers out there. Just from the narrative of the post they have tried many times to get him help but he refuses. Sometimes tough love is the best you can do for someone. A guy who hasn't moved out of his parent's house in 40 years likely needs a little tough love.

I defended Larry Eustachy back in the day saying that they should have given him a chance at treatment. But later, even Larry himself said it wouldn't have worked. He wasn't ready to give up the bottle. As we say in recovery circles, he hadn't hit bottom.
Bingo!! Until he consents... they can't do anything. I've seen his rage along with his quiet demeanor. When your child has you pinned to the floor, it worries us and scares the crap out of us at what he is capable of. I even asked him mom if he had a gun or anything, which she said no. Like I stated we have a lot of concern for his parents due to their age and what he could be capable of. Fort Dodge for example, the sons into an agrument with their dad and dad ends up dead.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Yeah, I get it. But now they are paying him for what he should have been doing before just to contribute to household expenses since he doesn't have a job and is living at home. That was my only point.
Yeah, even getting a convenience store job or stocking shelves at a grocery store for a few hours a week would be a start. There is a demand for workers for just getting the wheels turning would be a start. Sometimes it’s that sense of accomplishment that gets the rehab flowing since they take a little more pride in their situation.

Reactions: NWICY and wxman1

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I walked into the house and noticed the walk in garage door was painted poorly. Wife hired the guy to do it like a year and half ago, he is like best friends with her sister and BIL. I can't bother him since he's waiting trial for stabbing his girlfriend to death. Got me thinking about who the wife associates with and I question a few things.

I can't think of anyone I know or is related to someone who was murdered. I'm sure I do but not off the top of my head.

Other than the first one I mentioned: my wife told me she was scared as a kid because a person was killed in the neighbors house on the back of their section. Then the neighbors son so called accidentally shot his wife on a hunting trip. Her high school friend's brother was executed for his murders. Her closest co-worker's dad killed her mom's boyfriend (when they were divorced). My wife used to take this young girl to sunday school when she taught it. The dad couldn't because he raped and murdered this girl in town. I know there is another one or two she knows well. When Garth said he had friends in low places, he must know the same people as my wife.

• Wow
Reactions: wxman1

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
I walked into the house and noticed the walk in garage door was painted poorly. Wife hired the guy to do it like a year and half ago, he is like best friends with her sister and BIL. I can't bother him since he's waiting trial for stabbing his girlfriend to death. Got me thinking about who the wife associates with and I question a few things.

I can't think of anyone I know or is related to someone who was murdered. I'm sure I do but not off the top of my head.

Other than the first one I mentioned: my wife told me she was scared as a kid because a person was killed in the neighbors house on the back of their section. Then the neighbors son so called accidentally shot his wife on a hunting trip. Her high school friend's brother was executed for his murders. Her closest co-worker's dad killed her mom's boyfriend (when they were divorced). My wife used to take this young girl to sunday school when she taught it. The dad couldn't because he raped and murdered this girl in town. I know there is another one or two she knows well. When Garth said he had friends in low places, he must know the same people as my wife.
Retired neighbors have two daughters, one of which was just starting to drive when we moved in almost 20 years ago. She bought a house a few blocks away in our neighborhood. A few years ago she started noticing mental illness in her husband. He would fly off the handle for no reason or have bouts of paranoia. She tried to get him into counseling or anything to help him with no success. About a year ago their dog died and the guy lost it. He took off and she didn't know where he was. A few days later she learned that he had taken off for California and murdered his half brother who lived out there. To make matters worse family of the half brother who still live in Minnesota started giving her death threats and stuff like that. Like she told him to go out and kill him?

I felt so bad for them; they are really nice people. It is sad to think about how many lives are turned upside down for every single murder you read or hear about.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Speaking of murders I was walking through the cemetery where a bunch of my family is buried in NE Iowa a few years ago. My aunt walked me a bit away from my great grandparents' graves and showed me a grave that had a double headstone for a husband and wife. Apparently the husband killed his wife. He went to trial and was convicted. They took him down to Fort Madison and he was eventually hanged. After, they hauled his carcass back to NE Iowa and planted him in the grave next to the wife he had murdered. It just seemed really strange that he was still buried right next to her - under the same tombstone, no less - after murdering her.

@BoxsterCy probably knows about this story. The cemetery is in his home town.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
We were talking about May Day just last wk, it seems to be a holiday that has pretty much disappeared. When me and my siblings were young we would make construction paper baskets and fill them with popcorn m&ms and peanuts if I remember right. Then mom would help us deliver them (rural so she drove)

^This. Well, until today when I got a ring on the doorbell. Was slow to get there and figured cold call something or another. Saw new peeps on the street walking away (mom and little girl) and this was hung on my door handle. Took me a moment to figure it out. Hadn't thought of May basket type stuff since I was a kid (60 years ago now!).

may flowers CF scale.jpg

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
^This. Well, until today when I got a ring on the doorbell. Was slow to get there and figured cold call something or another. Saw new peeps on the street walking away (mom and little girl) and this was hung on my door handle. Took me a moment to figure it out. Hadn't thought of May basket type stuff since I was a kid (60 years ago now!).

View attachment 128582
That's awesome! Make sure that little girl gets full sized candy bars at Halloween :)

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Yeah, you vomited out some nice judgment here. So far, absolutely nothing that could explain anything from the dude's own experience. Pretty nasty, so have fun with that. Maybe dig the plank out of your own eye while you're at it.
Dude has to grow up sometime, hopefully soon.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
As much as I like to make soft shell tacos for supper, it sure is easier to make just one nice sized taco salad on a plate and be done with it.
I would have done the salad thing last night, too, except that we had nothing salad-like in the house. So, a semi-rolled burrito/taco it was. Still good.

Reactions: NWICY

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
The bird migration thread is pretty fun, it is CF all getting along, it is a happy read.
One of those little things you have no idea will sprout wings and take off, in a good way.
Sorry, not sorry for the pun.

Reactions: SaraV and NWICY