Natural Grass vs Artificial/Field Turf

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I was running on a Field Turf field while my daughter had practice on Sunday like I often do. I started feeling like I was getting a blister on my big toe so I stopped running and took my shoes off. No blister yet, but I thought my run should be over for the day. I walked barefoot for a while and I could certainly tell that the field turf fibers have sharper edges and corners than grass. By the time I was done walking any calluses on my feet had been scrubbed off. To be fair, this is a relatively new field turf just under a year old. I have no idea if the edges get worn down over time.

This is along the lines of the experiences I had 10+ years ago when you began to see them installed at high schools more. Not necessarily burns like carpet burns, but some scrapes from the fibers if you were to slide on it. Maybe why you still see turf tape on elbows/entire backside of arms for those surfaces.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
This is along the lines of the experiences I had 10+ years ago when you began to see them installed at high schools more. Not necessarily burns like carpet burns, but some scrapes from the fibers if you were to slide on it. Maybe why you still see turf tape on elbows/entire backside of arms for those surfaces.

that's old school artificial turf. A lot of people would be surprised at how far these artificial surfaces have come in recent years.

dualthreat

Oct 8, 2008
Not even close to "old school". Old school was essentially your deck carpet rolled out over asphalt...

I don't think I've ever had a kid get "turf burn" on the new artificial turf... the rubber pelet kind.

That old stuff was rough

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Not even close to "old school". Old school was essentially your deck carpet rolled out over asphalt...

Yep, but it had about a 1 inch cushion pad in between the two...which just made all the difference in the world. ;)

Reactions: VeloClone

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa
FYI - The grass field is getting re-done the winter of 2021/spring of 2022. It will continue to be a grass field. The practice field will also be expanded and re-sodded at the same time.

Last edited:

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com
unfortunate,
FYI - The grass field is getting re-done the winter of 2021/spring of 2022. It will continue to be a grass field. The practice field will also be expanded and re-sodded at the same time.

Not sure why we have to stay married to the agronomy dept/turf management dept.

Modern field turf is the way to go...Looks fantastic under the lights too, and on national TV

Every other season we have heavy rains in September--and the field is destroyed
Goes dormant in late October, and looks terrible

The Drake game a couple years ago was a disaster. The field was sub-high school quality. It was a version of the worst conditions @ Clyde Williams Field. embarrassing

The university can take care of the practice fields.

Last edited:

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
unfortunate,

Modern field turf is the way to go...Looks fantastic under the lights too, and on national TV

The Drake game a couple years ago was a disaster. The field was sub-high school quality. It was a version of the worst conditions @ Clyde Williams Field. embarrassing

Did you get canned from the university? All you do is bag on one of the best fields in the country.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
Put the artificial turf in the grass parking lots....:cool:

ImJustKCClone

Ancient Argumentative and Accidental Assassin Ape
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 18, 2013
traipsing thru the treetops
unfortunate,

Once more for the stupid. There is NO TURF MANAGEMENT DEPARTMENT, and it has NO connection with AGRONOMY. Turf Management is an option of the HORTICULTURE department, NOT the AGRONOMY Department.

Reactions: kcdc4isu

Rogue52

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 20, 2006
Cedar Rapids, IA

Was this delayed one year? Last I heard, we were playing one more season on existing turf and then it would be replaced. New turf is being grown on a farm nearby as we speak. Does anyone know specifically where?

CyCrazy

Dec 17, 2008
Ames
Was this delayed one year? Last I heard, we were playing one more season on existing turf and then it would be replaced. New turf is being grown on a farm nearby as we speak. Does anyone know specifically where?

Not sure but maybe the Hort farm couple miles east of the Gilbert Caseys. They would have the room for it.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009

This is what I've heard. Not crazy about playing another year on this field. Once upon a time, it may have been great, but it has not been good for a few years. They are doing the best they can, particularly through drainage and covering when needed, but I look forward to new grass.

AttackOfTheClones

Dec 10, 2017
Bushwood, Nebraska
www.youtube.com

Did you get canned from the university? All you do is bag on one of the best fields in the country.

Nope--never worked for ISU

Believe me, I was once a huge fan of our grass field-- for 20 years

Grass is for mild climates in fb stadiums--not Ames IA

Best field in the country?
yes-- in May, June, July, August, and a couple weeks in September if dry

The conditions almost cost us the worst loss in modern ISU history---and that is saying something

CyGuy5

Dec 4, 2013
Kansas City

The conditions almost cost us the worst loss in modern ISU history---and that is saying something

You do realize that football was not meant to be played in those conditions, right? Not to mention football usually isn't played in Iowa in December. If we had artificial turf the conditions still would have sucked.

Also, the field looked great all last season IMO. The fact that you are still arguing because of a game that happened in 2018 is ridiculous.

jdcyclone19

Apr 14, 2017
Iowa

The drake game was solely not the field, Drake had to play in the same conditions. Our players clearly didn’t want to be or think they should have been playing that day.

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
You do realize that football was not meant to be played in those conditions, right? Not to mention football usually isn't played in Iowa in December. If we had artificial turf the conditions still would have sucked.

Also, the field looked great all last season IMO. The fact that you are still arguing because of a game that happened in 2018 is ridiculous.

It always "looks good," but it isn't what it used to be. The drainage and care is nop-notch. The turf crew can only do so much with a field that has been abused. And I get the sense that this staff would prefer to get field problems out of their game prep.

Help Support Us

Become a patron