NCAA messed it up!

CoKane

Oct 26, 2013
Cedar Rapids
Now I understand why transfer’s had to set a year before! It’s ruining college basketball there’s no loyalty anymore! It’s like recess and choosing up teams! Because every season this crap is going to happen! The grass is greener over there! NIL is great for the blue bloods but not for the rest of the colleges!
Its literally not the portal that's the problem here. Its the NCAA allowing a free for all on NIL that caused all this

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Now I understand why transfer’s had to set a year before! It’s ruining college basketball there’s no loyalty anymore! It’s like recess and choosing up teams! Because every season this crap is going to happen! The grass is greener over there! NIL is great for the blue bloods but not for the rest of the colleges!

Where you're wrong here is whether the NCAA thinks it's messed up. This is exactly what they and their TV partners wanted. The TV networks didn't like the idea of the blue bloods having down years while they develop talent. This system allows the top teams to always be reloading with older talent.

• Informative
Reactions: NENick

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
Stop shouting at me!!!

Reactions: werdnamanhill

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
d675bc21-a9a3-411a-8285-c2b7139ff1e7_text.gif

Reactions: madguy30

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
Its literally not the portal that's the problem here. Its the NCAA allowing a free for all on NIL that caused all this

Its both at the same time.

I can't imagine they would have dropped the restrictions on transfers had they known they were going to be forced to change on NIL so quickly.

• Agree
Reactions: cyfanatic

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Don’t really give a ****. We made the Sweet 16 this season and we’ll make it again soon. Players change, support the school and the coach.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI

Why should players be expected to be loyal when no one else in the sport is? ADs made tens to hundreds of millions off of players that for decades they've been paying nothing except for a scholarship; any given year the coach can leave for a better job or more pay, while the players he recruited were forced to play for someone they may not want to play for...

So remind me again why players should be forced to live up to a non-negotiable agreement when nobody else is forced to live to the same expectations?

GoldCy

Jul 11, 2016
Why should players be expected to be loyal when no one else in the sport is? ADs made tens to hundreds of millions off of players that for decades they've been paying nothing except for a scholarship; any given year the coach can leave for a better job or more pay, while the players he recruited were forced to play for someone they may not want to play for...

So remind me again why players should be forced to live up to a non-negotiable agreement when nobody else is forced to live to the same expectations?
Nothing except over $100,000.00 a year in benefits. Other than the coaching profession who is getting rich. Construction trades and the economy in general is helped. AD payrolls have certainly exploded but they have in other areas as well. Equity departments lead the list.

Reactions: Bestaluckcy

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Nothing except over $100,000.00 a year in benefits. Other than the coaching profession who is getting rich. Construction trades and the economy in general is helped. AD payrolls have certainly exploded but they have in other areas as well. Equity departments lead the list.
Every bit of that is generated by the efforts of the players.

Reactions: cyfanatic

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006

I don't think anyone is blaming the players for the situation or their desire to transfer. The issue is the system that has been setup that the competitive balance is based on how much your booster program can raise. The wealthy boosters and apparel companies will prop up the top 30 teams or so and the rest will be a minor league system for those teams. It's a great system for the top tier athletes, but it's the NBA without the stability of contracts for the programs and the fans.

Trice

Apr 1, 2010
Feels like I'll be cutting/pasting this for years to come, but:

Your periodic reminder that "the NCAA" is really just a conglomerate of universities and their administrators. We all got ourselves into this mess; it was not just foisted upon us.

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque

No argument the current system has developed into a big business where coaches in a handful of sports make CRAZY money. But the reality is a solid coach, is just as important as great players. Look at the heights ISU hoops has reached under coaches like Johnny, Floyd, Eustacy and Hoiberg vs. McDermott & Prohm.

How has Memphis done with their elite HS talent the last few years?

But your statement that AD's have made tens of hundreds of millions off players is misleading. Sure schools have made huge money off FB & MBB, but the money earned by those 2 sports has been invested in student-athlete sport programs in WBB, Wrestling, Volleyball, Track, X-Country, Softball, Gymnastics, etc, etc.

Last time I looked, most P5 athletic departments and all G5 athletic departments are subsidized by their universities.

I am not sure what the future holds. I love to watch Cyclone football and MBB. But I am fearful of what the future holds for the other student athletes at ISU. Personally, I have no issue with football & MBB subsidizing the other athletic teams for the other 300 student-athletes. I feel there is a tremendous value of getting a college education and the lifetime value of getting an ISU degree can be worth millions vs just having a HS diploma. So the compensation that football, basketball AND all other sport student-athletes far exceeds what they "earn" as part of their scholarship.

I would agree that most P5 & G5 schools have sold their soul to the TV Networks and almighty dollar to be part of the club. Personally, I would support Cyclone sport programs the same if we participated in a more Ivy League model that put more emphasis on the STUDENT aspect of being a student-athlete.

I mentioned it in another post yesterday. But I feel the NBA & NFL need to share in the blame. You have club owners who have franchises worth Billions, but they have created a development system where colleges subsidize athlete development AND communities pay for building their stadiums.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Feels like I'll be cutting/pasting this for years to come, but:

Your periodic reminder that "the NCAA" is really just a conglomerate of universities and their administrators. We all got ourselves into this mess; it was not just foisted upon us.
It was kind of foisted. It was a court decision that opened this up.
That said, if the ncaa had been smarter and less greedy (lol) they could have got ahead of this years ago- by setting up a union for players, by passing some rules wrt NIL, etc. But they stuck to amateurism to max out profits at the expense of the athletes. And they lost.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
The result for Iowa State here sucks but I just can’t find it within myself to get too worked up about a kid cashing in on his abilities. Glad these kids are getting paid what they deserve.

It will even out over time, and regulation will ultimately be in play. It will be bumpy in the interim though.

It's a little hypocritical of us to spend the time we do analyzing the benefits of particular players in the portal when they can potentially come to your school and then begin losing our **** when a player we like decides to leave. Both players are doing the same thing.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
It was kind of foisted. It was a court decision that opened this up.
That said, if the ncaa had been smarter and less greedy (lol) they could have got ahead of this years ago- by setting up a union for players, by passing some rules wrt NIL, etc. But they stuck to amateurism to max out profits at the expense of the athletes. And they lost.
Last summer's court case was really didn't impact NIL - it was about educational benefits. But it did indicate where the court was heading on athletes' pay.

The thing that really forced the NCAA to move on NIL was state laws going into effect. A few states had laws starting on July 1st of last summer that required state universities to allow NIL. NCAA had to do something to not violate those.

I agree though that they could have been ahead of this a long time ago. Now they're stuck and can't do much because many of the things they could try to do would violate one of the state laws passed in the last few years. Congress really needs to step in to supersede the state laws, setting a nationwide policy and allowing for some regulations, but they aren't exactly a group you'd want to rely on to fix the problems.

• Agree
Reactions: Cloneon

Clonehomer

Apr 11, 2006
Last summer's court case was really didn't impact NIL - it was about educational benefits. But it did indicate where the court was heading on athletes' pay.

The thing that really forced the NCAA to move on NIL was state laws going into effect. A few states had laws starting on July 1st of last summer that required state universities to allow NIL. NCAA had to do something to not violate those.

I agree though that they could have been ahead of this a long time ago. Now they're stuck and can't do much because many of the things they could try to do would violate one of the state laws passed in the last few years. Congress really needs to step in to supersede the state laws, setting a nationwide policy and allowing for some regulations, but they aren't exactly a group you'd want to rely on to fix the problems.

One thing they could do is reinstate the one year ineligibility for transfers. They can't eliminate the payments, but they can reduce the incentive to transfer as a result. But again, that only if they want to control this. I don't believe they do, it's making too much money.