Iowa State Uniform Discussions

Draf

Jun 8, 2017
Except those aren't our colors.

There is a middle ground between the yellow crap currently in our colors and that ND/49ers gold. The muted yellow of the late '70s is it and should be a part of our uniforms. I don't mind the black jerseys, but I'm not a big fan of just ditching our school colors because the head coach likes wearing black clothes. Iowa State is bigger than Matt Campbell.
The metallic gold helmet is just a concept — as are all my other helmets shown here recently. I tried to match the "yellow" helmet as closely as I could to our Earle Bruce era helmets w/ over-the-counter spray paint. The photos are a little lighter than the actual helmet in person. I believe the yellow/gold of the Earle Bruce days is our best yellow/gold color. And, it matches the Trice era jersey color.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
Good thread going on here, page 3: https://cyclonefanatic.com/forum/threads/jim-criner-special-helmet.260040/page-3

I have seen this before: " The primary palette consists of five colors, which are led by the university's two signature colors, cardinal (Pantone 186c) and gold (Pantone 142c). These colors may be used extensively both for large areas of color or as an accent color. " https://www.brandmarketing.iastate.edu/brand-elements/color-palette/.

What I din't know, from @theshadow: "Except the university color palette and the athletics color palette are different.

The university uses Pantone 186 and 142 as its "cardinal" and "gold."

Athletics uses 187 and 123 as the primary "cardinal" and "gold" colors. "

So for us mockup guys, look up Pantone company and their color picker chart which is designed to work with digital photoshop. And maybe ISU only uses Pantone colors? Interesting.

t-noah

Feb 2, 2007
This Thread has lasted forever so I'll put this here. I've got 5 sets almost done. This is kind of what I envision (any of these 5-6 sets). Set 1 (stripe to cardinal pant, stripe to white helmet)..
CyUni 2022 CardinalWhiteBlackOptionalGold 11a.jpg CyUni 2022 CardinalWhiteBlackSet 1a.jpg

chuckd4735

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2006
Indianola

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the black jerseys a few times a year, but are we just retiring the red uniforms??? At some point we can't just wear black for every home game.

I'm assuming the Players have a say in what jerseys get worn, and if so, I am all about leaving it up to them to decide. If they want to wear black, its cool with me.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com

Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the black jerseys a few times a year, but are we just retiring the red uniforms??? At some point we can't just wear black for every home game.

Agree. And unless we're road team for CCG and bowl games, hunch is we'll do all-black or Black-black-white for both of those, too. I get it, players like it, seems to be "good luck" since we always win in it, but I'd kind of like to use C&G on a national stage a few times, since, y'know, it's available and it's our colors.

19clone91

Nov 21, 2013
Denver, CO
I like black as much as anyone but I still love the all reds better. And I miss the school colors being used at home. ONce a year for a big game is great but i miss the reds.

These black jerseys wont be as fun anymore if we wear them every game. But if it gets the players pumped up enough to go out and win everytime I cant complain.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Guessing if we win Saturday and then are the designated home team in Title Game we will wear black there as well. Campbell pretty superstitious I think.

Reactions: Scott34

ianoconnor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 11, 2007
Johnston
I like the black & I've probably said this 10 times, but I wish they'd throw in a touch of cardinal/gold. Do the helmet sticker in colored chrome & do the I-State logos on the pants in color or something like that.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I like the black & I've probably said this 10 times, but I wish they'd throw in a touch of cardinal/gold. Do the helmet sticker in colored chrome & do the I-State logos on the pants in color or something like that.
I hear ya.... but the last time we wore the black helmet with red logo, ISU crapped the bed with about 500 turnovers in last year's Okie State game at the Jack.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron