O.J. Simpson dead at 76

JayV

Really Big Member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 28, 2012
I remember my mom believing he was innocent. She has multiple PHDs and is a long-tenured professor at Iowa State so certainly incredibly smart. But some people believed him for whatever reason.
Prosecution made some big mistakes in the trial. (Hindsight and all).
OJ's defense team was the best group of lawyers that could be assembled, plus his good friend Robert Kardashian, so that he could claim attorney-client privilege's and not have to testify about the bag OJ gave him and whatever the contents were. So if someone had reasonable doubt I don't blame them.

The theory I heard, that kind of made sense if you completely discount all the evidence that it was OJ, was that OJ Simpson was wealthy and famous. People like that don't do stuff themselves. They hire others to do it for them. The theory being that OJ didn't likely do the stabbing himself, but as very probably behind it or knowledgeable of it.

cydsho

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 10, 2006
Omaha, NE
At least he died doing what he loved.
Oh wait...I guess he didn't die while murdering people......

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
OJ Simpson the actor???

giphy.gif

Cyched

CF Influencer
May 8, 2009
Denver, CO
I watched a lot of the trial and followed it pretty closely. I don't think that they proved that he did it. That is not to say that I don't think that he did it, but due to very sloppy police work, incompetent prosecution, and some good defense, the case wasn't proven beyond a reasonable doubt.
Yep... beyond a reasonable doubt is a VERY high burden to prove, and they did a terrible job of proving that.

Yep. It’s difficult to assert it wasn’t him given the circumstantial evidence and motive. But criminal prosecution requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt. There were enough mistakes made handling the evidence and during the trial (the ******* glove!) that the defense was able to create doubt.

It’s also worth noting that the average Joe without the means to hire the defense team OJ did probably gets found guilty.

1UNI2ISU

Jan 30, 2013
Waterloo
Yep. It’s difficult to assert it wasn’t him given the circumstantial evidence and motive. But criminal prosecution requires proof beyond a reasonable doubt. There were enough mistakes made handling the evidence and during the trial (the ******* glove!) that the defense was able to create doubt.

It’s also worth noting that the average Joe without the means to hire the defense team OJ did probably gets found guilty.
Also had a judge that thought the trial was his ticket to TV stardom and his own 'People's Court' type show and interviews and book deals. It was in his best personal interest to allow it to become the circus that it did.

• Sad
Reactions: Cyched

mramseyISU

Nov 8, 2006
Waterloo, IA
At work whenever a trial fit of a new part goes well I always say that it fit better than OJ's gloves. I'm getting old enough that when I say that the new engineers don't get the joke.

WooBadger18

Sep 5, 2012
On Wisconsin
That account better be run by AI or an 18 year old intern who has no idea who he is, otherwise WOW! Especially considering all the **** surrounding his heisman trophy.
I’m guessing they have a template they use when someone dies and some lower level employee used that or it pretty much automatically gets posted