O-Line Question

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
After watching the O-line last year and against UNI, it seems like the bulk of our problems are with Meeker and Good-Jones. They constantly get beat by a speed rush and/or whiff on blocks. I have overall been happy with Knipfel, Newell, and Olsen on the inside. It also sounds like Downing is more suited to play inside. Does anyone know if Downing or Knipfel can play tackle or not? If not, I feel it is time for Ramos to start. I know the coaches know much more than I do, but I feel maybe it is time to change it up.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
After watching the O-line last year and against UNI, it seems like the bulk of our problems are with Meeker and Good-Jones. They constantly get beat by a speed rush and/or whiff on blocks. I have overall been happy with Knipfel, Newell, and Olsen on the inside. It also sounds like Downing is more suited to play inside. Does anyone know if Downing or Knipfel can play tackle or not? If not, I feel it is time for Ramos to start. I know the coaches know much more than I do, but I feel maybe it is time to change it up.
I’d argue if Ramos were close to being equal to JGJ he would have played a lot of snaps against UNI. But this staff did **** up the center position in the first game last year from not wanting to play a freshman in Game 1.

Meeker played fairly well last week. JGJ less so, but UNI only had 2 sacks/3 hurries on 41 pass attempts with a QB that wasn’t helping much. One of those sacks was on the staff for having a freshman rb and pulling guard combo block a DE.

JimmyChitwood

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 3, 2015
Southern Iowa
Downing was a two time all-state tackle in high school. After he gave his verbal to ISU, he then switched to guard for his senior year where he was once again all-state.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

They think Knipfel can play tackle if needed. Downing is an inside guy. He can play center or either guard spot

• Agree
Reactions: UNIclonefan

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
.... Does anyone know if Downing or Knipfel can play tackle or not? If not, I feel it is time for Ramos to start....

My guess is that we won't be seeing either Downing or Ramos starting anytime soon, but I hope they can be playing significant minutes early this season. I hoped that either one would crack the first team at the beginning of the year but obviously CMC feels they're not quite ready.

• Agree
Reactions: khardbored

STATE12

Jul 8, 2015
I'm hoping they can have a little success by using a guy like Epenesa's strength as point of attack. Assuming he will be looking to speed rush the edge often for splash plays/pressures (which he is very good at), sprinkle in some screens/shovel pass action to go after the area he vacated being too far up field. Maybe some read option plays his direction to make him think more so he can't play as fast. Move the pocket some for BP.

And then cross our fingers...just kidding...kind of. Just don't want to see a lot of drop back classic passes where they can just pin their ears back on a target location.

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
As one of the posters says above, the oline play wasn't actually as terrible as it looked... The REALLY bad sack on the second possession wasn't JGJ whiffing (I think?), he was supposed to double the guard and we had the RG pulling with Hall getting PA and picking up the end with the RG... Presumably this was to sell some sort of counter or outside run? Regardless, the RG and Hall completely whiffed, not so much JGJ.

I remember being really upset in live time watching the play, but you can watch the replay at 3:05 in the condensed game:

Meeker/JGJ did struggle with speed rushes to the outside, but honestly, run blocking was decent and pass pro wasn't as awful as it felt like.. there was some pretty poor execution by the RB's in pass pro and frankly, in the running game.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
As one of the posters says above, the oline play wasn't actually as terrible as it looked... The REALLY bad sack on the second possession wasn't JGJ whiffing (I think?), he was supposed to double the guard and we had the RG pulling with Hall getting PA and picking up the end with the RG... Presumably this was to sell some sort of counter or outside run? Regardless, the RG and Hall completely whiffed, not so much JGJ.

I remember being really upset in live time watching the play, but you can watch the replay at 3:05 in the condensed game:

Meeker/JGJ did struggle with speed rushes to the outside, but honestly, run blocking was decent and pass pro wasn't as awful as it felt like.. there was some pretty poor execution by the RB's in pass pro and frankly, in the running game.

The whole series on the “fumble” was terrible, but also not all on the OL. Starting at 17:20 you can see the UNI DE go unblocked and get pressure, nearly resulting in an INT the play before the “fumble”. It looks like fatal combination of poor execution and some horrible play calls against the UNI defense. Presumably the DE is suppose to hesitate on the weak play action/RPO, then get blocked by the running back? I’d hope we weren’t asking Knipfel to pull and block the untouched DE. Just awful.

On the “fumble”, Purdy has to feel that pressure and step-up in the pocket, or just take off.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA

There were several runs that should have been 15 yards instead of 5.

brett108

May 1, 2010
Tulsa, OK
My guess is that we won't be seeing either Downing or Ramos starting anytime soon, but I hope they can be playing significant minutes early this season. I hoped that either one would crack the first team at the beginning of the year but obviously CMC feels they're not quite ready.
He didn't feel Purdy was ready either. I think he is a little hesitant throwing in younger guys, but I think if struggles continue that will happen. Quite frankly CMC has much better talent sitting the bench than any coach has had at ISU since Bruce was stalking the sideline.

• Agree
Reactions: Aclone and Rural

UNIclonefan

May 1, 2018
Knipfel, Olson, JGJ, Downing, Meeker. Newell is one of our best linemen, but I'd rather not risk him unless completely healthy. Move JGJ to Center to mitigate some of his struggles.

Last edited:

UNIclonefan

May 1, 2018
I'm just going off what the coaches say. Then again, they're never going to say that a guy absolutely sucks. lol just realized my mistake. It has been amended.
Downing is great but I'm not sure he's that great

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
JGJ-Downing-Olson-Knipfel-Meeker

I like this lineup and think that Olsen might be pretty well-suited to play Center. Guess it depends on how he snaps or if Downing is better there. Still wouldn't surprise me if Schweiger starts...or Newell comes back and plays.