O-Line Question

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
The O-line will not need any help from the tight ends or the running back. 4-wide / 5-wide the whole game. Eppie is as described by the Register, an over-rated wuss.
ESPNesa won't be a factor. Remember after the game that Remo predicted it.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
He didn't feel Purdy was ready either. I think he is a little hesitant throwing in younger guys, but I think if struggles continue that will happen. Quite frankly CMC has much better talent sitting the bench than any coach has had at ISU since Bruce was stalking the sideline.
Same with Newell last year not starting/playing in the Iowa game

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
Downing is great but I'm not sure he's that great

It will be interesting to see what the coaches do, but I am pretty well counting Newell as out for this and the next game. My knowledge of OL play is pretty much limited to knowing when someone screws up, so I am really interesting to see what the plan is. With two weeks there is a lot of stuff they could move around. JGJ to center and Downing sounds interesting to me. The way JGJ gets beat at times, it might not be as bad as it looks.

Aclone

Dec 14, 2007
Des Moines, Ia.
It will be interesting to see what the coaches do, but I am pretty well counting Newell as out for this and the next game. My knowledge of OL play is pretty much limited to knowing when someone screws up, so I am really interesting to see what the plan is. With two weeks there is a lot of stuff they could move around. JGJ to center and Downing sounds interesting to me. The way JGJ gets beat at times, it might not be as bad as it looks.
I’d expect to find out about 2:45 Saturday afternoon, when they read off the starting lineups on the pregame radio show.

CyTwins

Jan 20, 2010
Ankeny

I don't think we see Newell until Big 12 play

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I'm hoping they can have a little success by using a guy like Epenesa's strength as point of attack. Assuming he will be looking to speed rush the edge often for splash plays/pressures (which he is very good at), sprinkle in some screens/shovel pass action to go after the area he vacated being too far up field. Maybe some read option plays his direction to make him think more so he can't play as fast. Move the pocket some for BP.

And then cross our fingers...just kidding...kind of. Just don't want to see a lot of drop back classic passes where they can just pin their ears back on a target location.

"I've always said, the best way to take pressure off of the quarterback, is to run screens and draws!"

- Lee Corso, NCAA Football 2004 for Nintendo Gamecube.

snowcraig2.0

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 2, 2007
Cedar Rapids, IA
I don't know about several, but the one where Lang cut back inside was a TD if you broke it outside. Not sure what he was doing, but I'm sure it looks a lot more clear from above.

Maybe I worded it poorly.

There were several runs where there were at least 5 more yards for the taking. I thought Kene was the only back who took all of what was given by the defense.

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
Maybe I worded it poorly.

There were several runs where there were at least 5 more yards for the taking. I thought Kene was the only back who took all of what was given by the defense.
Lang had two good pile movers. I thought the RBs were okay in getting what was there. But it didn’t seem like they got a lot of yards that weren’t there. DM spoiled us in that regard.

You’d like to see more open field tackles broken or defenders alluded against UNI from all skill positions imo. Give credit to UNI’s open field tackling, and our scheme didn’t help create much open field, but the longest run was 14 yards on a day in which we blocked well. Longest pass play was 21 yards (even UNI had a 26 yarder).

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
There were several runs that should have been 15 yards instead of 5.

I thought the OL played horrible being at the game, but after watching the replay, they were really not bad, not great but a lot better than I thought live. The backs as a group could have gained a lot more yards if after getting to the second level they jumped outside. A lot of that is just growing pains from lack of experience. I am sure the coaches stressed that fact the past 2 weeks.

spierceisu

Jan 28, 2007
Ankeny
I have to admit I was pretty pleased with the offensive line from the Iowa game. I am eating a bit of crow with regards to JGJ. I thought he played great against Epenesa and the other lineman I thought played well too. Wanted to give them some credit after ragging on them a bit.