Offensive Possessions vs UNI

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
Here are the offensive possessions for ISU in regulation against UNI and what ultimately killed each drive.

Drive 1:

Yardage: 27 yards
Drive killer: Personal Foul penalty, dropped screen pass on 3rd & 2
Result: Punt on 4th & 2

Drive 2:

Yardage: 31 yards
Drive killer: Sack, for some reason our right guard is pulling (and missing) to block the defensive end when it is 6 blockers to 4 rushers
Result: Punt on 4th & 4

Drive 3:

Yardage: 34 yards
Drive killer: Personal Foul penalty, running back misses a block on the blitz resulting in a sack
Result: Field Goal on 4th & 10

Drive 4:

Yardage: 39 yards
Drive killer: TE runs 3 yard route on 3rd & 5

Drive 5:

Yardage: 9 yards
Drive killer: Pass overthrown on 3rd & 1, 8 blockers can't block 6 defenders on 4th & 1, resulting in no time for the QB to throw
Result: Turnover on downs

Drive 6:

Result: Halftime

Drive 7:

Yardage: 75 yards
Result: TD

Drive 8:

Yardage: 19 yards
Drive killer: Drop by WR that would have put us inside the 20, Right Tackle misses block that results in a fumble (or actually an incomplete pass ruled a fumble)
Result: Defensive TD for UNI

Drive 9:

Yardage: 53 yards
Drive killer: 2nd & 1 on the 9 yard line #89 misses block resulting in a 3 yard loss. On the next play, the Left Tackle doubles the nose leaving a linebacker unblocked resulting in no gain
Result: missed FG

Drive 10:

Yardage: 69 yards
Drive killer: bad pass by the QB to TE in endzone (TD if the pass is more to the sideline), #89 missed block on 2nd & goal resulting in a negative running play, holding penalty on QB TD run
Result: FG

Some general thoughts on this game:

1. 78% of our drives went for at least 27 yards (if you take out the end of half run out the clock possession)
2. 75% of our second half drives went for at least 53 yards
3. #28 seems like the only running back with a "make you miss" ability. I expect he will be getting the bulk of the carries by mid-season.
4. The shallow cross seemed to be where most of our chunk plays came from against the 3-3-5.
5. 10 of the drive killers listed above were penalties or missed blocks. I agree that the line play was improved, but it seemed like we had mistakes in the most inopportune times from our offensive line and running backs in pass blocking.

Stewo

Oct 29, 2008
Iowa
Really, it was a day of "what could go wrong, did go wrong" for the offense. They caught zero breaks and didn't execute terribly well. Partner that with Purdy being stuck in the pocket all game and you have Saturday's outcome. While I don't appreciate the bland gameplan, there were several miscues that can get cleaned up. There talent is there, they just need to get everyone on the same page.

clonedude

Apr 16, 2006
There were a lot of things that happened on Saturday that can be fairly easily cleaned up, however, one of the things that can't be cleaned up most likely is the play of our starting tackles. That is my biggest concern going into the Iowa game by far.

JGJ and Meeker just have not improved much in their time here and that is very frustrating. And on top of that, there hasn't been anyone good enough to beat them out, or the staff just won't play them if there are?

If that doesn't magically get fixed in two weeks, the staff had better let Purdy run or he might not finish the game.

CNECloneFan

Dec 1, 2012
There were a lot of things that happened on Saturday that can be fairly easily cleaned up, however, one of the things that can't be cleaned up most likely is the play of our starting tackles. That is my biggest concern going into the Iowa game by far.

JGJ and Meeker just have not improved much in their time here and that is very frustrating. And on top of that, there hasn't been anyone good enough to beat them out, or the staff just won't play them if there are?

If that doesn't magically get fixed in two weeks, the staff had better let Purdy run or he might not finish the game.
It might come down to a decision: Which is worse? Purdy getting hit in the open field, or Purdy repeatedly getting tomahawked and/or blind sided in the backfield.

• Agree
Reactions: clonedude

FinalFourCy

Mar 5, 2017
In 41 pass attempts Purdy was sacked just twice and hurried three times. In the run game we had as few of negative plays as I can recall in awhile, and great success getting to the outside with Kene.

Purdy, as good as he is, helped to create some of the perceived lack of a pocket. Sometimes it was both, as was the case on the incompletion that was ruled a fumble. Meeker needs to do better off the snap, and Purdy needs to step up so Meeker can push the DE upfield.

On the sack in the first quarter, three guys share blame.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It might come down to a decision: Which is worse? Purdy getting hit in the open field, or Purdy repeatedly getting tomahawked and/or blind sided in the backfield.

I like having Purdy having the option to slide personally.

Kempt went out due to a ISU failing to recognize stronger possibilities (dump off to DM in the flats) so here's to hoping it's recognized and acted upon.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Here are the offensive possessions for ISU in regulation against UNI and what ultimately killed each drive.

Drive 1:

Yardage: 27 yards
Drive killer: Personal Foul penalty, dropped screen pass on 3rd & 2

Drive 2:

Yardage: 31 yards
Drive killer: Sack, for some reason our right guard is pulling (and missing) to block the defensive end when it is 6 blockers to 4 rushers
Result: Punt on 4th & 4

Drive 3:

Yardage: 34 yards
Drive killer: Personal Foul penalty, running back misses a block on the blitz resulting in a sack
Result: Field Goal on 4th & 10

Drive 4:

Yardage: 39 yards
Drive killer: TE runs 3 yard route on 3rd & 5

Drive 5:

Drive killer: Pass overthrown on 3rd & 1, 8 blockers can't block 6 defenders on 4th & 1, resulting in no time for the QB to throw
Result: Turnover on downs

Drive 6:

Result: Halftime

Drive 7:

Yardage: 75 yards
Result: TD

Drive 8:

Yardage: 19 yards
Drive killer: Drop by WR that would have put us inside the 20, Right Tackle misses block that results in a fumble (or actually an incomplete pass ruled a fumble)
Result: Defensive TD for UNI

Drive 9:

Yardage: 53 yards
Drive killer: 2nd & 1 on the 9 yard line #89 misses block resulting in a 3 yard loss. On the next play, the Left Tackle doubles the nose leaving a linebacker unblocked resulting in no gain
Result: missed FG

Drive 10:

Yardage: 69 yards
Drive killer: bad pass by the QB to TE in endzone (TD if the pass is more to the sideline), #89 missed block on 2nd & goal resulting in a negative running play, holding penalty on QB TD run
Result: FG

Some general thoughts on this game:

1. 78% of our drives went for at least 27 yards (if you take out the end of half run out the clock possession)
2. 75% of our second half drives went for at least 53 yards
3. #28 seems like the only running back with a "make you miss" ability. I expect he will be getting the bulk of the carries by mid-season.
4. The shallow cross seemed to be where most of our chunk plays came from against the 3-3-5.
5. 10 of the drive killers listed above were penalties or missed blocks. I agree that the line play was improved, but it seemed like we had mistakes in the most inopportune times from our offensive line and running backs in pass blocking.

Do you remember drive one's personal foul??? I can't right now, but I seem to think it was sketchy. The helmet off one too was just wierd and hopefully we don't see again this year. stupid call....it wasn't like he was running downfield or anything, he was just scrumming and it should have been ignored. Drive 1 is what kills me though...that 3rd and 2/4th and 2 was closer to 1 yard than 2......and if you really trust your defense you go for that. Just really, really boring to punt there. There are probably only two times I ever faulted Rhoads for going on 4th, despite the other things he did with messingham/mangino.

• Agree
Reactions: Cytown12

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
Do you remember drive one's personal foul??? I can't right now, but I seem to think it was sketchy. The helmet off one too was just wierd and hopefully we don't see again this year. stupid call....it wasn't like he was running downfield or anything, he was just scrumming and it should have been ignored. Drive 1 is what kills me though...that 3rd and 2/4th and 2 was closer to 1 yard than 2......and if you really trust your defense you go for that. Just really, really boring to punt there. There are probably only two times I ever faulted Rhoads for going on 4th, despite the other things he did with messingham/mangino.
Drive one was a crack back personal foul. Including the Alamo Bowl that’s two targeting PF’s, one crack back, and one participating without a helmet. I can’t make this stuff up.

CyCloned

Oct 18, 2006
Robins, Iowa
In 41 pass attempts Purdy was sacked just twice and hurried three times. In the run game we had as few of negative plays as I can recall in awhile, and great success getting to the outside with Kene.

Purdy, as good as he is, helped to create some of the perceived lack of a pocket. Sometimes it was both, as was the case on the incompletion that was ruled a fumble. Meeker needs to do better off the snap, and Purdy needs to step up so Meeker can push the DE upfield.

On the sack in the first quarter, three guys share blame.

In general the sacks and the hurry on the 4th and 1 were the most glaring things because there were complete whiffs and Purdy had no chance to do anything. Numbers wise it was not horrible, but in terms of execution it was glaring how badly the break downs were. Most of these were way more complete screw ups as opposed to great plays by UNI. I guess that makes them correctable, at some level. The tackles seem to struggle with great consistency, so maybe not as much as we would like.

dirtyninety

Oct 6, 2012
Drive one was a crack back personal foul. Including the Alamo Bowl that’s two targeting PF’s, one crack back, and one participating without a helmet. I can’t make this stuff up.

Ahhh....yeah. That sucked. freaking "crack back"....It wasn't like the guy was a kicker or something. It wasn't that bad. You could call that same block 12 times that game, yet we get it early as a point of emphasis......we are Iowa State.
I saw 30 "targeting" no-calls in the first half of Notre Dame=Louisville last night more egregious than that garbage called against us in the Alamo Bowl. It took me 6 years to get over the first Liberty Bowl....I'm guessing Alamo Bowl will be the same.

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
In general the sacks and the hurry on the 4th and 1 were the most glaring things because there were complete whiffs and Purdy had no chance to do anything. Numbers wise it was not horrible, but in terms of execution it was glaring how badly the break downs were. Most of these were way more complete screw ups as opposed to great plays by UNI. I guess that makes them correctable, at some level. The tackles seem to struggle with great consistency, so maybe not as much as we would like.
100% correct. I get it’s the first game, but there were so many whiffs in this game from TE’s, running backs, and tackles. I don’t know who #41 is for UNI, but our TE made him look like an All American.

cymonw1980

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 23, 2015
Raleigh, NC

Don’t like the way they are kept Purdy in the pocket... I just hope that if they plan on doing that again in two weeks they are ready with a back up plan if/when it doesn’t work.

Didn’t like the game plan for UNI, but my bigger issue was the fact that they didn’t change anything coming out of half time. Could have cost them the game. Do that vs. toe, not only will we lose, we will be lucky if we don’t lose Purdy for the season like we did Kempt last year. Our tackles are not good... if they can’t completely dominate an fcs team that was rushing 3, playing coverage, it will be a long day. Have to be better. Not sure they are.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Don’t like the way they are kept Purdy in the pocket... I just hope that if they plan on doing that again in two weeks they are ready with a back up plan if/when it doesn’t work.

Didn’t like the game plan for UNI, but my bigger issue was the fact that they didn’t change anything coming out of half time. Could have cost them the game. Do that vs. toe, not only will we lose, we will be lucky if we don’t lose Purdy for the season like we did Kempt last year. Our tackles are not good... if they can’t completely dominate an fcs team that was rushing 3, playing coverage, it will be a long day. Have to be better. Not sure they are.

One thing I'll say about keeping Purdy in the pocket...Farley has long set a trap on the zone read vs ISU. He invites the QB to run and keys on the RB. Lets the QB get his 5-7 yards and puts a hit on him. By the end of the game, the QB is hobbling around. It's happened to so many QBs at ISU that I can't even remember them all. At the very least Campbell didn't fall for that trap.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
One thing I'll say about keeping Purdy in the pocket...Farley has long set a trap on the zone read vs ISU. He invites the QB to run and keys on the RB. Lets the QB get his 5-7 yards and puts a hit on him. By the end of the game, the QB is hobbling around. It's happened to so many QBs at ISU that I can't even remember them all. At the very least Campbell didn't fall for that trap.

Who?

I actually don't recall that being a thing.

Reactions: SolarGarlic

VegasCy

Dec 16, 2018
Something to consider is the numbers from this game that never felt in doubt two years ago. ISU even had 7 penalties.

Differences being ISU had two interceptions returned for TDs to start out with to help things.

Gave up 5.4 yards/rush!

https://www.espn.com/college-football/matchup?gameId=400934488

I know it doesn't mean much but shows how much the perception changes.
I hope we start turning teams over again. It’s crazy that you hold a team to 1 yard per rush and outgain them by 200 yards and the game goes to triple OT.

Frak

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 27, 2009
Who?

I actually don't recall that being a thing.

Richardson for sure. Pretty much every time ISU has played UNI since we started running the spread. They invite the QB to run on zone read and put a hit on him. It was too much for Messingham to pass up.

• Agree
Reactions: VeloClone

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron