*** Official #10 Iowa vs #9 IOWA STATE Game(Day) THREAD ***

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
It was over in the middle of the 3rd quarter if we are being honest with ourselves. That’s when I stopped really engaging and just scrolling through here.

Possibly but it's not like we haven't seen ISU come back from worse situations. They just needed one play. Unfortunately, they pissed themselves again each time that chance came up. It's officially a mental ceiling now with Iowa.

But (the poster I quoted) someone acting like the whole world was watching and ISU's fate depended on today is at another level of meltdown. You want to see embarrassing, go watch OU's last CFP game.

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

BryceC

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 23, 2006
Possibly but it's not like we haven't seen ISU come back from worse situations. They just needed one play. Unfortunately, they pissed themselves again each time that chance came up. It's officially a mental ceiling now with Iowa.

But (the poster I quoted) someone acting like the whole world was watching and ISU's fate depended on today is at another level of meltdown. You want to see embarrassing, go watch OU's last CFP game.

They just needed one play. My confidence level of them getting that one play was zero.

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
They just needed one play. My confidence level of them getting that one play was zero.

I was touch and go checking in on streaming and my confidence was not great either BUT it's what they needed.

After the first INT I had a pretty bad feeling overall.

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I was touch and go checking in on streaming and my confidence was not great either BUT it's what they needed.

After the first INT I had a pretty bad feeling overall.
That is the moment for me too. In reality it shouldn't have been such a defining moment. Hutchinson had one on one coverage, wasn't necessarily open, but Brock threw him a 50/50 ball and he didn't really fight for it. There was some contact but you can't wait for the official to bail you out, especially at Iowa State. In essence that first int was like a crappy punt, something our actual punter was doing all day, but Brock wasn't really ever the same after it and you kind of got a sense that our guys were about to go belly up on offense

• Agree
Reactions: cyclonehomer

ghyland7

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 8, 2012
I was at the stadium so I wasn't able to check stats, but it felt like iowa had -10 yards in the 3rd quarter and had 10 points to show for it.

If we trade punters/punt returners, we win the game.

Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
I was at the stadium so I wasn't able to check stats, but it felt like iowa had -10 yards in the 3rd quarter and had 10 points to show for it.

If we trade punters/punt returners, we win the game.
No we don’t. I was there too. You can’t have that many turnovers coupled with weird play calling to make it look even worse and expect to win.

JM4CY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 23, 2012
America
That is the moment for me too. In reality it shouldn't have been such a defining moment. Hutchinson had one on one coverage, wasn't necessarily open, but Brock threw him a 50/50 ball and he didn't really fight for it. There was some contact but you can't wait for the official to bail you out, especially at Iowa State. In essence that first int was like a crappy punt, something our actual punter was doing all day, but Brock wasn't really ever the same after it and you kind of got a sense that our guys were about to go belly up on offense
There was enough separation to make that throw make sense. It was an absolute duck though. Long balls aren’t his strength but something seemed off with those more than normal.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
This is going to be the maddening thing about Iowa the rest of the way. Any team with a pulse that plays clean is going to have a shot to beat them. And the law of averages probably says one or two will.
I wouldn't get your hopes up. They have one of the most pathetic schedules I've ever seen and last year they took alot of those same teams to the woodshed.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Boy that was a long day and a long game. I thought going in that for us to win, we would have to be no less than -1 in turnovers and we blow that number out of the water. No team can win giving up 4 turnovers with one being a scope and score.

I have felt the last couple of years that Purdy needs to run the ball more on the RPO's, they were crashing down on Hall the entire game, until the staff realized that with Purdy keeping the ball, that keeps the defense honest and allows Hall room to run, we are in trouble.

Iowa did a great job of doubling Kollar and is felt like Purdy was either late or behind on almost every throw. None of our WR's have the ability to get separation and we do not have that throw it up and go get it like we had in the past.
The defense played a great game, but we kept putting them in a position where they could not be aggressive when were are playing on our side of the field the entire game.

Last point, I spent a long time watching their punter, he did a great job of holding the ball before he kicked it, allowing his players to get down the field before he punted the ball, not sure why after the first couple of his kicks doing it, that we did not try to speed him up by rushing him harder instead of playing for a return. Also catch the damn ball on punts, we had them backed up in their endzone once or close too it, should have started at the 50, our returner let the ball bounce instead of coming up and catching it and we start the drive at the 25 yard line.

swiacy

Apr 9, 2009
Purdy is too short to consistently be a drop back pro style QB, he is best when rolling out. Last year, they did not have a known alternative for a replacement and they did not want to risk injury, now they do. And Dekker has a stronger and more accurate arm, possibly. Turn Purdy loose and Hall benefits too.

Reactions: Neptune78

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Purdy is too short to consistently be a drop back pro style QB, he is best when rolling out. Last year, they did not have a known alternative for a replacement and they did not want to risk injury, now they do. And Dekker has a stronger and more accurate arm, possibly. Turn Purdy loose and Hall benefits too.

Play action type of stuff including roll outs can be simple but not predictable if done right.

cycophagus

Aug 16, 2012
MN
Jared Rus has been a pleasant surprise this year. Love his athleticism and physicality.
Jared Rus is definitely off to a good start. His block on Breece Hall's TD just before the half was inspiring. Definitely need more of that good old fashioned fullback action at the point of attack on the short yardage situations.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
To be fair they were going against ISUs defense which I think is a top 5 defense.and then they pretty much shut it down in the after 3.
If they shut it down in the 4th, they really were not turning it on in the 1st -3rd either.