*** Official #10 Oklahoma vs #6 IOWA STATE Big 12 Conference Championship Game(Day) Thread ***

CloneGuy8

Mar 20, 2017
I'll keep my thoughts simple and to the point.

1. We didn't play our best
2. Oklahoma is good
3. Special teams make me want to drink
4. The staff didn't have their best day coaching
5. Our guys fought back
6. NY6 is very possible
7. Bama would have killed us if we slipped into the playoff
8. I still love this team and coaching staff, and lots of key pieces return next year.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
All the more reason for him to come back for his senior year and work on it.

Why do you think he's going to the league?

If for 3 years someone can't throw the long ball, it's not happening.

Kee
I'll keep my thoughts simple and to the point.

1. We didn't play our best
2. Oklahoma is good
3. Special teams make me want to drink
4. The staff didn't have their best day coaching
5. Our guys fought back
6. NY6 is very possible
7. Bama would have killed us if we slipped into the playoff
8. I still love this team and coaching staff, and lots of key pieces return next year.

This is the best OU team I've seen in at least a few years just by the simple fact that their defense flies around.

Recently it's felt like about any team could at least score some points but they tightened up this season.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
Brock is definitely not NFL ready. I have felt that way all season long. He should have a pretty good senior year with the talent coming back.

Die4Cy

Jan 2, 2010
**** polishing him for the NFL.

He's been at his worst when he's forced into the 'NFL ready' pocket passer role and that's not where he excels.

He's fine as a pocket passer. But first there must be a pocket.

• Winner
Reactions: JM4CY

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
Brock is definitely not NFL ready. I have felt that way all season long. He should have a pretty good senior year with the talent coming back.
I don't think he's there yet. He has had an ok year. Really has had maybe half good to great games, 1 really bad game (Louisiana), the rest have been just ok. He's got to develop some consistency, we'll see him again next year and both parties should be better for it.

quasistellar

Feb 29, 2016
Purdy makes some unbelievable mistakes and has his limitations. He SUCKS at the deep ball and as much as I'd like that to change, it might not be realistic. I'd like to think taking numbskull sacks (by running out of bounds behind the line), throwing unnecessary INTs, and a few other gems would be fixable too.

With that said his accuracy is pretty good and he's usually pretty good at leading his receivers, which allows for a lot of YAC opportunities. He's also can be a Houdini when he gets out of the pocket. Good lord, he should have been sacked 5-7 times today at the very least. His mobility brought many a dead play to life and that ability can't be understated.

I'm more upset with Manning having a ****** ass game plan, not getting plays in fast enough, and calling passing plays our team can't block for. We don't use Breece and the TEs enough as extra blockers, even on chips and Manning needs to quit being so predictable on first down. Breece up the middle 5-10 times on first down while being ABSOLUTELY brutalized along the line isn't very smart. It resulted in a lot of 2nd and long scenarios and allowed OU to pin their ears back. It's not hard, but Manning seems to fail at grasping simple concepts that puts the team at an unnecessary disadvantage. Help your QB out and put him in favorable situations. He failed time and time again at that todya (as he has throughout the year).

Can't criticize manning! He's the best OC in history of ISU and doesn't make mistakes. He personally is setting the records and it has absolutely nothing to do with the players, defense, or head coach.

• Dumb
Reactions: Urbandale2013

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I still don't understand this. OU is on the same level as them this year.
I hope you are joking. I think many of us are putting the Big 12 rose-colored glasses on. I look at it like this. We are a good team no doubt about it. However, we were within 35ish yards to winning today despite minus 3 in the turnover department, terrible special teams and an awful 1st Half in just about every way. If we had a line like that against Clemson or Bama that potential game-winning drive we had today isn't even a thought.

Sorry until OU shows up in the big game like the CFP Semifinals, I won't believe it. OU is definitely more balanced than years past, but I think Clemson or Bama beats them by at least 2 TDs. And that's being generous.

Reactions: Jdk

CyclonesMoney

Sep 12, 2017
Is there a chance that most of our seniors return next year especially if they don’t get a chance to be drafted? Any ideas?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Is there a chance that most of our seniors return next year especially if they don’t get a chance to be drafted? Any ideas?

There have literally been 5 threads on this. There has been some talk that maybe 5-7 come back. But that won't be decided until the season is finished.

Reactions: CyclonesMoney

Urbandale2013

Jan 28, 2018
Urbandale
I hope you are joking. I think many of us are putting the Big 12 rose-colored glasses on. I look at it like this. We are a good team no doubt about it. However, we were within 35ish yards to winning today despite minus 3 in the turnover department, terrible special teams and an awful 1st Half in just about every way. If we had a line like that against Clemson or Bama that potential game-winning drive we had today isn't even a thought.

Sorry until OU shows up in the big game like the CFP Semifinals, I won't believe it. OU is definitely more balanced than years past, but I think Clemson or Bama beats them by at least 2 TDs. And that's being generous.
I maybe can would feel that way about Clemson after they demolished ND but Alabama hasn’t looked unbeatable. They haven’t played a good team since mid October. I think OU is significantly better than they have been in the past.

Do I think we are better on average than Alabama no. Do I think we could beat them yes. Do I think we would get blown out no.

• Haha
Reactions: dirtyninety

jctisu

Jun 11, 2017
I maybe can would feel that way about Clemson after they demolished ND but Alabama hasn’t looked unbeatable. They haven’t played a good team since mid October. I think OU is significantly better than they have been in the past.

Do I think we are better on average than Alabama no. Do I think we could beat them yes. Do I think we would get blown out no.
You think we could beat Alabama? And I am not talking a Nebraska fluky 7+ turnover game type of thing but straight up toe-to-toe with them. Alabama has been beating the ever-living crap out of everyone this year. Their closest game was at Ole Miss (who seems to always give them a game) where they still scored 63 points! The current #5 team in the country got abused by Bama 52-24. I think Clemson can beat them as those two teams are 1A and 1B just like the last 5 years basically.

As we saw in last year's bowl game against ND, there is a big gap between those top 3-4 programs and us. And yes OU is NOT one of those schools. We consider OU the big scary blue blood but that same OU team that has owned the Big 12 is 0-3 in the CFP Semis when they play the other big dogs, and it hasn't even been close in those games aside from the Georgia game. And in that one OU blew a MASSIVE lead and lost once Georgia adapted to their speed.

scyclonekid

Feb 13, 2008
It wasn’t our day today, but I’m proud those young men got there and belonged there no matter what outside naysayers said(Reece Davis.). A lot of teams were sitting at home while we played for a trophy sometimes you gotta take some punches along the way, but we’re without a doubt on the right way for the ultimate goal.

DurangoCy

Jul 5, 2010
Durango, CO
Not our best game, but I'm so proud/glad to be a Cyclone today. They made some big mistakes early on and spent the rest of the game fighting their asses off to get back into the game.

They had a chance at the end and thoroughly outplayed OU in the second half. The future is still bright
Go Cyclones!

Cyinthenorth

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2013
Dubuque
I'm kind of depressed. Our best season ends at 8 wins... that is sad. Covid shortened season, yes I know... someone talk me off the ledge here

helechopper

Loyal Son Forever True
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2006
Chicago
I’m incredibly proud of the guts and effort our guys put out there today. This game reminds me of the Texas game in Austin two years ago where we lost to the Longhorns. It just felt like it wasn’t our time to take the victory from Texas at home that year. We weren’t quite ready for that stage.

This is an awesome football team that’s only going to get better next year as we move deeper into 2021.

This is why I’m already looking to next season, where we’re going to beat OU in the BIG12 Championship game. We’ll be ready, it will be our time.