***Official 2024 Weather Thread***

KidSilverhair

Dec 18, 2010
Rapids of the Cedar
www.kegofglory.blogspot.com
Maybe the closest I have been to a tornado was one that missed my elementary school in November 1960 by a couple of blocks in Manchester, Iowa. We didn't even know about it till later. Little boy me was pretty impressed by the stuff driven into tree trunks when we looked at the damaged houses later. Of course this was the era of "Ooh, seems like tornado weather. Is that a siren? Better go sit on the front porch and watch the west sky!"
My brother and I climbed on to the roof of our barn occasionally when we were kids, including one day when the weather was brewing. I still remember seeing what were probably wall clouds forming, coming together, and seeming to head right for us. Not much later a tornado did hit only a couple of miles from our farm.

I was FOUR YEARS OLD. When I realized that thinking back, I apologized to my mother many times for doing that.

But I still like to watch storms.

CYEATHAWK

Aug 26, 2007
It seemed like June was more tornado season when I was a kid. I don't remember there even being severe storms during the school year. It was always in summer it seemed.

Since 1980 (per records) June is the worst month in Iowa with May being a close second. No other month really is close after that.

Al_4_State

Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
Driftless Region
Visit site
Since 1980 (per records) June is the worst month in Iowa with May being a close second. No other month really is close after that.
I was born in '85, so that definitely backs up my internal perception. The tornado I was most directly involved with happened in June as well. I was essentially chasing this storm with my brother and best friend after it (unbeknownst to us) passed over our car when it was (briefly) not on the ground.

nfrine

Mar 31, 2006
Nearby
My brother and I climbed on to the roof of our barn occasionally when we were kids, including one day when the weather was brewing. I still remember seeing what were probably wall clouds forming, coming together, and seeming to head right for us. Not much later a tornado did hit only a couple of miles from our farm.

I was FOUR YEARS OLD. When I realized that thinking back, I apologized to my mother many times for doing that.

But I still like to watch storms.
Friend and I (both 8-9 years old) took cover in an older barn during a bad thunderstorm. Lightening hit the barn while we were in it. Hard to hear for half a day and lots of laundry to do....scared s***less.

• Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

MeowingCows

Jun 1, 2015
Iowa
Yeah, this is certainly something new since I have been out of school. Not sure exactly when the change happened though.
It should've happened sooner, really. What sounds safer, sending kids home early to distribute them and put them back under family care during an emergency, or have all of them shuttled together into one space when there's only enough adults around to attend them at a 20:1 ratio?

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Friend and I (both 8-9 years old) took cover in an older barn during a bad thunderstorm. Lightening hit the barn while we were in it. Hard to hear for half a day and lots of laundry to do....scared s***less.
If ages were 10 years more, you got a start of a good story pending who the “friend” was.

RoseClone

Oct 18, 2006
For property types it's the hail in particular that gets very expensive very quickly. Some insurers starting to pull out of states which is problematic if you are trying to get a bank-backed mortgage.

Just got our umbrella policy raise notice Friday.
Separating out wind/hail deductibles from other events. Our townhome association policy is now 2% of the value of the property for wind/hail. Huge increase.

• Friendly
Reactions: cowgirl836

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
Saw some pics of new homes being built that had waist deep water in the basements.
Problem is they'll barely let the wood dry, put up the drywall and 5 years down the road the walls will be full of mold. It's amazing to me how quickly they'll build houses on hills they've quickly put 40 feet of dirt onto or close up walls that are wet. Never amazes me how many houses in newer developments have settling issues or mold problems.

cowgirl836

Sep 3, 2009
Saw some pics of new homes being built that had waist deep water in the basements.

I will never stop being grateful to past me for closely examing GIS data when we picked our lot to build. It's lower in the neighborhood so about half the rainwater funnels through our yard but we are significantly higher than surrounding area. 9 yrs in which includes some big 2018 flooding and to our knowledge, we've never heard the sump pump run.

Reactions: Cy4Lifer