*** Official #22 IOWA STATE vs West Virginia Game(Day) THREAD ***

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
It was bad sure.

Not the worst loss ever.

I think ISU will struggle with Tech.

Didn't you think we'd lose to Oklahoma State and struggle with Kansas State too? That's cool to manage your expectations, but let's not act like you thinking we'll lose is some sort of novelty.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Didn't you think we'd lose to Oklahoma State and struggle with Kansas State too? That's cool to manage your expectations, but let's not act like you thinking we'll lose is some sort of novelty.

Yeah going off what I'd seen it was pretty hard to just think ISU would beat either one of those.

And after today it's hard to believe they beat those two teams. They went back to that mode and snapping out of it won't be so simple.

I also got rung up in the off season for thinking 8-4ish was realistic and well look at what happened.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Yeah going off what I'd seen it was pretty hard to just think ISU would beat either one of those.

And after today it's hard to believe they beat those two teams. They went back to that mode and snapping out of it won't be so simple.

I also got rung up in the off season for thinking 8-4ish was realistic and well look at what happened.

So you are right some of the time and wrong some of the time. Maybe just admit you don't know what you are talking about or know any more than anyone else.

The same team that looked like garbage today, looked pretty damn good against Kansas State and near ******* perfect last week (and Oklahoma State isn't ******* around with Kansas tonight).

If the team that showed up today (and the refs) shows up in any game the rest of the way, we could easily lose. But if the team that showed up the past 2 weeks shows up, we can probably beat anyone on our schedule. Not sure why everyone assumes that only the West Virginia team will show up. You sure as hell don't know and neither do I.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So you are right some of the time and wrong some of the time. Maybe just admit you don't know what you are talking about or know any more than anyone else.

The same team that looked like garbage today, looked pretty damn good against Kansas State and near ******* perfect last week (and Oklahoma State isn't ******* around with Kansas tonight).

If the team that showed up today (and the refs) shows up in any game the rest of the way, we could easily lose. But if the team that showed up the past 2 weeks shows up, we can probably beat anyone on our schedule. Not sure why everyone assumes that only the West Virginia team will show up. You sure as hell don't know and neither do I.

Quite the grievance here.

Did I say I know what's going to happen?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
Quite the grievance here.

Did I say I know what's going to happen?

You said it was hard to see them win any games. But you are just basing that one today. The season could fall to ****, but we literally have no idea. And you really have no evidence either way.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
You said it was hard to see them win any games. But you are just basing that one today. The season could fall to ****, but we literally have no idea. And you really have no evidence either way.

Find where I said it was hard to see them winning any games.

And I'm not basing my thoughts on just today. Find that too.

I mean I can be wrong but making things up about what I've written doesn't help.

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

I mean I can be wrong but making things up about what I've written doesn't help.

So if the team that showed up last week (7 days ago) shows up, you don't see them winning any games?

Why is this team more likely to show up than last week's team?

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008

We did beat Kansas State and Oklahoma State. So, yes, if we played like **** against those two teams we would have lost. But we didn't. Those wins are just as valid and the loss today.

Kimber45

Dec 20, 2020
Page 94 reads like disappointed entitled donors who demand results because they paid money or invested.

Take that shite down to the Sonic and square off if you're in the mood.

Turns out that ISU, who brought a lot of the team back from last year, isn't a top shelf team this year.

That's why the game is played on the field and not decided on internet forums.

I'm onboard until the end. Good wins can still happen.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
So if the team that showed up last week (7 days ago) shows up, you don't see them winning any games?

Why is this team more likely to show up than last week's team?

Again, where am I saying I don't see them winning any games? I didn't even say they'd lose to Tech. They may struggle though.

I could list quite a few examples but basically, even though today's performance was very bad, it was closer to what ISU's looked like than when they tightened things up for two games.

Missed tackles, poor pursuit, leaky secondary (including last week) and an erratic offense aren't new for a team that's more limited than people want to allow themselves to see.

As the season wears on, habits don't just go away. Can they win? Sure. Is it as simple as just fixing things after a 'wake up call'? Not necessarily.

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
I don't even know where to start.... but its clear this team, a team full of seniors - does not seem able to be able to play under expectations. They didn't play well till expectations were eased after a 2-2 start.... and then expectations returned ... and we play horribly. This team isn't last years team. I don't know if its the leadership of guys like Jaquan, Dylan and Kene or what.... but we have not looked comfortable at all playing like a favored team. the only time we have looked good is when no one expected us to do much after losing to Baylor and Iowa.

The offensive line, tauted as a strength all off-season? Struggles.

A very deservedly loved coaching staff h as struggled at times to make adjustments.

For all of the love given our strength staff - we have been pushed around in most short yardage situations, especially offensively.

-----

IDK. This is as-disheartened as I've been in some time as a fan - maybe since Campbell took over. More than after Iowa. We were out-athleted, out coached, out executed and worst of all...

we lacked the ability to match their effort. A veteran team and staff with a lot to play for just had a game where really - outside of what - 8 plays (Brock's two scrambles, Hummels pick 6, Breece's two long runs) and maybe 1-2 more were basically owned by West Virginia the entire game.

For all the depth we supposedly have - no one other than Purdy , X and Breece carried the ball. We have no pass rush but we don't rotate any of the younger kids at end even in obvious pass situations where if they aren't ready for 1st and 10 run fits you'd think they could maybe have fresh legs on 3rd and long. We leave Datrone Young out there - love the kid. Glad he's healthy enough to play - but man he was a liability today and not that he was the only one. We randomly decide Corey Dunn's going to punt again - and yes, he had one good one but I still don't understand that logic unless Mevis was hurt -

I don't see us beating Texas - or Oklahoma. And TCU - Tech are not give mes.

And I know i had said a while back I thought Rose was the most important player on the team but for a veteran team there's no way that you can allow that to have such a huge impact on the defense. A young team losing your best player - sure. But not for as veteran a team as Iowa State do I find that to be a valid excuse.

------------------------

Sorry for being Debbie Downer but that was as lifeless and disheartening performance as I have seen in a while. And I just... IDK. All the excitement that this year might finally be the year is gone obviously. And now I'm wondering how long Campbell stays because if this team can't do it... IDK.

I'm going to step away soon because I know I'm in a super negative head space area right now but I do think that there are some valid points in this post so I'll post this and I'll bid all of you a good evening hopefully and an early Happy Halloween

This team reminds me so much of the 1977-1978 team of Juniors and Seniors..
That team also should have at least WON ONE BIG EIGHT CHAMPIONSHIP BUT ALSO FAILED!!

CyBobby

Oct 18, 2006
Central Iowa
Possibly the worst I’ve ever seen Heacock call a game. Piss poor job from him and Manning today. Yet we still should have won that game
SOMETIMES YOU JUST CAN NOT OVERCOME BAD PLAYCALLING AND DEFENSIVE SCHEMES THAT MAKE NO SENSE.....NO QUARTERBACK SHOULD BE ABLE TO THROW OVER THE TOP OF A 3-3-5 DEFENSE!!!!