*** Official IOWA STATE vs #19 Kansas State Game(Day) Thread ***

3TrueFans

Just a Happily Married Man
Sep 10, 2009
Ames
ISU threw early and often all game.

I'm not going to tally them but there's a lot of 'Rocco Becht pass' in there.

I count 24 passes in the first half, 9 on the opening drive alone, I'm not sure how that isn't using more of the field.

Reactions: isufbcurt

NebrClone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
The NCAA FBS record book says the YPP record is 13.47, but it has a minimum 50 play requirement. We had 13.94 last night in 35 plays, 15.59 if you remove kneeldowns. Those are video game numbers.

Defensively we only allowed 4.87 against a top 10-to-20 offense, which is actually pretty good for how much crap they got in the game thread. If K-State runs a normal amount of plays we probably only give up 24 and feel pretty good about it.
You would to have 650+yards to set a record..

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I count 24 passes in the first half, 9 on the opening drive alone, I'm not sure how that isn't using more of the field.

I recall several plays to the side like to Noel etc. that didn't go very far; Iowa's overrated but their defense is good and they don't give up many big plays.

Noel took a little slip out of some sort like 45 yards at BYU that maybe was a different overall look but still just kind of a short flat route... does that happen against Iowa?

Kinch

Sep 19, 2021
In the end, Campbell IMO had the toughest schedule of any coach in the Big 12. Played both OuT. Played four of the top 5 teams in the conference and played three of the four teams in the BiG and Big 12 conference championships, going 1-2. The combined score of those three games were 73-63, or an average score of around 24-21. You can't really ask anything better from a team with a first year quarterback and starting six true freshmen.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
Just got back to the hotel from SnowMageddon. That was one for the ages, almost 500 yards of offense, 42 points and only 19 minutes TOP I think.

I'm sorry your team lost.

I send some simple condolences and get this message. I'm concerned K State was over-serving in the suites last night.

Screenshot 2023-11-26 173145.png

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
ISU threw early and often all game.

I'm not going to tally them but there's a lot of 'Rocco Becht pass' in there.

I stand corrected then. We had a good drive to open and the Big 10 refs missed a PI in the end zone so we had to settle for a FG. But you are right, it wasn't just run run run. I will say, when we did run it, it was pretty vanilla. It was delayed handoff/zone read. Except, there was no read, it was a give every time and the Iowa outside linebacker and DE crashed in every time. QB should have kept every now and again and there should be a RPO to go with that. We didn't do any miss direction either. Also, according to Ben Bruns, some of our linemen were struggling with the zone blocking scheme we were using early in the season.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I’m not even still mad about those games. I’m glad the coaches made obvious changes to be less predictable and use more of the field. Everyone who covers ISU as a job has said the exact same.

Every team gains experience from week to week, we made changes that made our offense less predictable and cover more of the field. I have no idea why it’s “negative” to point out the obvious but “positive” to put all the improvement on getting 2-6 weeks older.
I'm just saying if you're going to cite stats in your criticism (whether current or retrospective criticism), you should make some attempt to be accurate with them.

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land
I'm just saying if you're going to cite stats in your criticism (whether current or retrospective criticism), you should make some attempt to be accurate with them.

I think it's very accurate that we weren't running the ball well enough with our running backs through three games to win while telegraphing to everyone that we want to run the ball. The average yards per carry on handoffs was so bad it might as well have been a turnover.

Texas is an example of the play calling improving, we ran enough to keep them honest, we didn't just keep slamming into that wall and basically giving us no chance in the game. Last night was another example. Sama was ripping off big plays and when KSU centered their entire defense on Sama we mixed it up instead of doing the super predictable thing. These are compliments, these are happy things. I'm a Campbell fan, it's not negativity. It's noticing when the games are drastically more fun to watch and just having open eyes. Oklahoma and Texas games still fun to watch despite losing because we were at least trying to have some creativity on offense.

MJ271

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 9, 2012
Atkins
I think it's very accurate that we weren't running the ball well enough with our running backs through three games to win while telegraphing to everyone that we want to run the ball. The average yards per carry on handoffs was so bad it might as well have been a turnover.
Will you at least admit that the RBs averaging 2.8 yards per carry against Iowa is massively different than the 0.5 yards per carry that you originally claimed? If you do that on first and second down to make it a 3rd and 4, it doesn't exactly seem like an automatic turnover to me.

Texas is an example of the play calling improving, we ran enough to keep them honest, we didn't just keep slamming into that wall and basically giving us no chance in the game. Last night was another example. Sama was ripping off big plays and when KSU centered their entire defense on Sama we mixed it up instead of doing the super predictable thing. These are compliments, these are happy things. I'm a Campbell fan, it's not negativity. It's noticing when the games are drastically more fun to watch and just having open eyes. Oklahoma and Texas games still fun to watch despite losing because we were at least trying to have some creativity on offense.
If you liked the Texas play calling, then I feel obligated to point out that against Texas, RB carries accounted for a higher percentage of overall offensive plays than against Ohio (30% vs. 28% against Ohio).

Play calling definitely did improve and the run game got more creative after the non-conference and OSU game. But I think fans have a tendency to ignore simple play calls when they work but also blame them when they don't. If Noel had gotten pushed out of bounds after a 10 yard gain on the third and 16 play that scored a TD, would it be a great play call or would it be a massive mistake throwing it so short of the line to gain?

convoluteme

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 29, 2019
Will you at least admit that the RBs averaging 2.8 yards per carry against Iowa is massively different than the 0.5 yards per carry that you originally claimed? If you do that on first and second down to make it a 3rd and 4, it doesn't exactly seem like an automatic turnover to me.

If you liked the Texas play calling, then I feel obligated to point out that against Texas, RB carries accounted for a higher percentage of overall offensive plays than against Ohio (30% vs. 28% against Ohio).

Play calling definitely did improve and the run game got more creative after the non-conference and OSU game. But I think fans have a tendency to ignore simple play calls when they work but also blame them when they don't. If Noel had gotten pushed out of bounds after a 10 yard gain on the third and 16 play that scored a TD, would it be a great play call or would it be a massive mistake throwing it so short of the line to gain?

This is a great point. That was another third down pass short of the sticks that people love to ***** about here.