***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

NjClone

Jan 4, 2019
I haven’t been seeing Montgomery in a lot of mock drafts, but one site had him going to the Cheifs in the 2nd round. I think that would be an amazing spot for him.

I’ve seen Butler list in the 1st and 2nd round on a few mock drafts. I see him going to the Ravens or Raiders.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Will Hakeem be making an appearance at the Senior Bowl? He graduated but is listed as a RJr

No. I'm not sure how the rules work for that game but I think it's only for players who have exhausted their eligibility. At any rate he's not down in Mobile now; Senior Bowl practices have been going on all week and if he was there we would have heard about it.

He and Montgomery should both be locks to participate in the combine, though.

khardbored

Oct 20, 2012
Middle of the Midwest
I could see K. Kempt getting a camp invite to New England. He fits the prototype for what they are looking for. Team first guy, loves football, overlooked/chip on the shoulder, high football IQ, etc...

Seems a bit optimistic.

I'd give him an outside chance at CFL or something like that, but I'm guessing he'll either get into coaching or just go get a job that's non-football related.

jbindm

Dec 2, 2010
Des Moines
Seems a bit optimistic.

I'd give him an outside chance at CFL or something like that, but I'm guessing he'll either get into coaching or just go get a job that's non-football related.

Yeah. I can see him maybe being a camp arm somewhere and then maybe knocking around one of the non-NFL leagues for a while if he wants to.

CapnCy

Jul 6, 2010
Seems a bit optimistic.

He does have the "coach with a headset on" mentality and skills...but especially with the more mobile quarterbacks, you'd think he'd be a long shot. Would absolutely love if somehow he did get on as a back up.

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Breakdown of Montgomery on the Athletic subscription site. Writer is Dane Brugler, has David as the #4 ranked RB:

4. David Montgomery, Iowa State (5-10, 222, 4.58)
Cincinnati, Ohio (Mount Healthy), Junior, 6/7/1997 (age on draft day: 21.90)
Strengths: Elusive runner due to his balance, low-center and run toughness … good-sized athlete and rarely goes down at first contact … flashes strong leg drive and powers through arm tackles when he wants to … patient at the line of scrimmage with strong cuts to keep defenders off balance in the hole … vision to find the cutback lane … easy to appreciate his toughness and fight … reliable ball skills with focus to stab away from his body … steady base and awareness in pass protection to face up and keep rushers occupied … only three career fumbles on 695 touches … named a 2018 team captain, and his coaches call him a “culture changer” due to his work ethic, effort and character.

Weaknesses: Lacks instant acceleration to speed away from pursuit … wasn’t a big-play creator in college (2018: zero rushes of 40-plus yards and only two rushes of 30-plus yards) … too much east-west and guilty of making too many moves … late to read and anticipate developing lanes … bad habit of bracing for contact in the hole instead of lowering his pads … not a hammer and doesn’t always fall forward … always carries the ball in his left hand … awareness as a route-runner must improve.

Summary: A three-year starter at Iowa State, Montgomery was an every-down back in the Cyclones’ shotgun, zone-read offense, often flanked to the left/right of the quarterback. He benefited from inferior tackling in the Big 12, but he runs with the active feet and ultra-competitive urgency that allow him to break tackles. While elusive in short areas, Montgomery is quicker than fast with inconsistent anticipation (more of a checkers runner, not chess). He has off-the-chart intangibles with the receiving and blocking potential to fit multiple roles. Overall, Montgomery doesn’t have much “special” to him as an athlete and needs to see things quicker, but he doesn’t concede easily and has the run balance/toughness to be productive.

• Agree
Reactions: dualthreat

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Breakdown of Montgomery on the Athletic subscription site. Writer is Dane Brugler, has David as the #4 ranked RB:

4. David Montgomery, Iowa State (5-10, 222, 4.58)
Cincinnati, Ohio (Mount Healthy), Junior, 6/7/1997 (age on draft day: 21.90)
Strengths: Elusive runner due to his balance, low-center and run toughness … good-sized athlete and rarely goes down at first contact … flashes strong leg drive and powers through arm tackles when he wants to … patient at the line of scrimmage with strong cuts to keep defenders off balance in the hole … vision to find the cutback lane … easy to appreciate his toughness and fight … reliable ball skills with focus to stab away from his body … steady base and awareness in pass protection to face up and keep rushers occupied … only three career fumbles on 695 touches … named a 2018 team captain, and his coaches call him a “culture changer” due to his work ethic, effort and character.

Weaknesses: Lacks instant acceleration to speed away from pursuit … wasn’t a big-play creator in college (2018: zero rushes of 40-plus yards and only two rushes of 30-plus yards) … too much east-west and guilty of making too many moves … late to read and anticipate developing lanes … bad habit of bracing for contact in the hole instead of lowering his pads … not a hammer and doesn’t always fall forward … always carries the ball in his left hand … awareness as a route-runner must improve.

Summary: A three-year starter at Iowa State, Montgomery was an every-down back in the Cyclones’ shotgun, zone-read offense, often flanked to the left/right of the quarterback. He benefited from inferior tackling in the Big 12, but he runs with the active feet and ultra-competitive urgency that allow him to break tackles. While elusive in short areas, Montgomery is quicker than fast with inconsistent anticipation (more of a checkers runner, not chess). He has off-the-chart intangibles with the receiving and blocking potential to fit multiple roles. Overall, Montgomery doesn’t have much “special” to him as an athlete and needs to see things quicker, but he doesn’t concede easily and has the run balance/toughness to be productive.
Must be some of that going around, because when I watched the SEC play Big 12 teams they couldn't tackle either.

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008

BigJCy

Apr 11, 2006
Former scout and now NFL Network Draft analyst Daniel Jeremiah:

@MoveTheSticks: Iowa State RB David Montgomery is one of my favorite players in the draft. He’s so instinctive and loose. He has excellent quickness and elusiveness. Big fan.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron