***Official Montgomery and Butler NFL Thread***

CyberJJJ

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2006
Johnston, IA
He should be. Outstanding elusiveness and power. Really solid blocker and receiving out of the backfield. Great character. He seems like a low risk, high upside pick to me.

While not the glitzy stat, your point above in bold is often overlooked by fans, but you have to believe the scouts certainly know it.

Rabbuk

Mar 1, 2011
I bet 4.6 is right about where Montgomery is. Not super fast by any means.

cygrads

Jul 27, 2007
Altoona, IA
All this talk about players leaving sucks to hear. Just for a moment, imagine everyone coming back. Montgomery, Butler, Lima all back. Purdy, Oline, Dline, all more experienced and better, Rose, both safeties better... that would be a fun season.
That would be a team that would contend for a conference championship and CFP.

Steve

Apr 11, 2006
All this talk about players leaving sucks to hear. Just for a moment, imagine everyone coming back. Montgomery, Butler, Lima all back. Purdy, Oline, Dline, all more experienced and better, Rose, both safeties better... that would be a fun season.
Better get used to the early declaration discussion. Next year Uwazurike will be getting some serious looks from the league followed by several candidates the following year.

Omaha Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 1, 2007
www.tecmobowl-vs-rbi.com
I think if ISU gets either Butler or Montgomery to come back the offense will be in really good shape. I like the other backs, as I see some serious speed there, but DM is one of the most physical backs ISU has ever had. Butler does have a case of the drops a bit too often...too often with the routine stuff, but he seems to always excel when its time to make a highlight reel catch.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com

It does, but success at the level we’re having doesn’t come without players that deserve attention from the next level. Hopefully we’re hearing about this kind of thing yearly!

Nihawk

Nov 3, 2009
I did not read every post, but one of the guys on College Football Final said Montgomery would be the first back taken in the NFL draft next year. Said it while showing highlights of ISU-KSU.

demoncore1031

May 18, 2008
Albuquerque,NM
theslaughterhouse.freeforums.net
USA Today now has Montgomery as the top RB draft prospect and Butler as the #3 WR.

If you HAD TO choose one of them to stay and one to go?

I would pick Butler to stay because we have a great group of running backs plus the two freshmen coming in, and losing Butler and his big play ability would hurt a lot more IMO.

CTTB78

Apr 7, 2006
Drafttek.com has Montgomery going to the Raiders at #33 and Butler going 3 picks later to the 49ers at #36. They are both really climbing the boards in a lot of mock drafts.

I see the same thing on many of the boards out there. Some have Hakeem going before David, so it just depends which one you're looking at. But the trending looks like they should both declare. Good for them and their families.

RedlineSi

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 20, 2006
Twin Cities
The NFL scout on the Athletic didn't even have Hakeem in his top 10 list. I asked why he told me he doesn't think he has the separation. I think the combine for both Hakeem and David will be HUGE.

Rural

Feb 3, 2010
The NFL scout on the Athletic didn't even have Hakeem in his top 10 list. I asked why he told me he doesn't think he has the separation. I think the combine for both Hakeem and David will be HUGE.

The tall guys get mugged all the way down the field anyway.

The 5 yard rule is more of a suggestion.