Perspective from the Big Ten and some much needed clarifications

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
Long term maybe ESPN should just switch to a YouTube style payout structure, aka pay the schools for the number of views they get per game. That seems the most economical. ESPN's cash flow is dependent on that anyway, and that would incentivize schools to get as many to watch as possible to boost their own payout. The biggest, wealthiest schools would still have an advantage, but schools with high engagement like Iowa State would get their fair share too.

Reactions: NotJustMagic

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
Looking at the TV ratings, its all about the platform the team is on, more so than the teams themselves. Put ISU on ESPN or Main Fox, ABC for a Saturday night game and they will have good to great ratings. Put ISU or EIU on FS1 or BTN and the ratings fall to less than 750k.

Its this reason that report released the other day saying UT and OU rights were worth so much more is true, but only to a point. In the years they took that data from of the 38 games broadcasted by Fox and ESPN or ABC, 33 of those games were on the main network, and not FS1 or LHN.

Their values are not worth what the report says it is in relationship to the other members of the league.

Jkclone15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 19, 2017
Would also incentivize schools to build conferences and schedule teams that their fan base gets excited about

Reactions: t-noah

Ozclone

Dec 12, 2009
Too many people are judging this based on the now and not the future state. If the SEC continues to gobble up teams it won't be long before owning the rights to those games is enough and why deal with the B1G at all. The B1G needs to grab teams when the opportunity presents itself if they want to stay relevant. Do ISU and KU move the needle as much as UT and OU? No. But they move it more than Cincy or Houston which might be the options if they take a pass now and then figure out that they need to expand. ISU and KU aren't going to make a huge improvement to the B1G but they enable it to expand without making it worse and I think that should be important to them right now.

I think the reason for the "we don't need to expand" posturing is that they don't want to be accused of tampering.

• Useful
Reactions: t-noah

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Too many people are judging this based on the now and not the future state. If the SEC continues to gobble up teams it won't be long before owning the rights to those games is enough and why deal with the B1G at all. The B1G needs to grab teams when the opportunity presents itself if they want to stay relevant. Do ISU and KU move the needle as much as UT and OU? No. But they move it more than Cincy or Houston which might be the options if they take a pass now and then figure out that they need to expand. ISU and KU aren't going to make a huge improvement to the B1G but they enable it to expand without making it worse and I think that should be important to them right now.

I think the reason for the "we don't need to expand" posturing is that they don't want to be accused of tampering.
This is totally fair but since no one has a crystal ball that can see into the future the only thing we can do is look at the now and try to project. You are right that is the sec continues to gobble up amazing teams like clemson, or some west coast teams then the big ten could be in real trouble, or at least the teams that aren't michgian, osu, psu and wisconsin.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
MODS, Can we just rename this thread to: A perspective from 1 Michigan State fan and lots of guessing as to what might happen."

Then combine it into the other 10+ threads on the same topic.

Actually, If you grew up in eastern Iowa, then nothing he said is new. This is big 10 dogma.

he is being nice, though. So that immediately puts him above most hawk fans.

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
@FriendlySpartan Join us in Wild Country National Collegiate Athletic Conference, where chaos is maximized, I am lobbying for our first Basketball Tourney to be in Kansas City, this will be the only one chosen, the rest will be determined by an algorithm that is decided in part by results and tv ratings and attendance. We do intend to turn March Madness into March Sadness by poaching all but the top 40-50 P5 program for our new venture. The head of the NCAA is already on board per all his comments about decentralization. Bill Snyder will be our first Lead Ambassador.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Actually, If you grew up in eastern Iowa, then nothing he said is new. This is big 10 dogma.

he is being nice, though. So that immediately puts him above most hawk fans.
My bad wasn't my intention to spout "dogma", was just trying to add a different perspective since i know people on multiple big ten boards and was around in the athletic dept during the first realignment. The landscape is different now so it is very possible im completely wrong on everything but obv i dont think om wrong or I wouldnt be saying it lol

ForeverIowan

Feb 23, 2013
FriendlySpartan - At what point do you think the real leaders step up to the plate and own the fact attrition and kicking current power 5 programs to the curb is not good for the sport? I just can't wrap my mind around how LESS inventory and LESS "big boy" football is beneficial for the sport. The leaders need to get together and figure out a damn way to make some sort of 64 ish team super conference. Whether that is four conferences of 16 teams or two major conferences of 32 teams similar to the AFC and NFC in football. Instead of alienating dozens of fanbases and tens of millions of fans why not create something all-inclusive and have the buzz and passion around college football at an all-time high throughout the country. I understand $ is king but the leaders need to walk lightly here. Too much greed could kill college football for good. Sometimes the sum is more valuable than the individual parts.

In regards to those mega brands, you better be pretty damn sure you don't want to take a little less to ensure a healthy and vibrant product moving forward to ensure the future stability and prosperity of the sport.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: t-noah and RezClone

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
ive been thinking more about this, 20 million buy in per coin, each coin entitles you to field one team per sport, have one vote per dicussion, it takes 50.1% to bring up a dicussion, the vote doesnt happen all it once, a coin can vote on any thing on at any time, once it hits 50.1% the motion is carried and goes into effect immediately, unless otherwise stipulated, then you sell the tv rights and each coin gets their share of the money per game, or per month based on 1/3 attendance, 1/3 tv ratings, and 1/3 result. Just spitballing here. You could also take one coin and divide into unlimited fractions, to say give to players, although you could put a limit on the coin so it automatically returns to the giver after 10 years, so you would need 50.1% of the coin to vote yes, which would need a larger [among all coins] 50.1% to enact a motion.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
FriendlySpartan - At what point do you think the real leaders step up to the plate and own the fact attrition and kicking current power 5 programs to the curb is not good for the sport? I just can't wrap my mind around how LESS inventory and LESS "big boy" football is beneficial for the sport. The leaders need to get together and figure out a damn way to make some sort of 64 ish team super conference. Whether that is four conferences of 16 teams or two major conferences of 32 teams similar to the AFC and NFC in football. Instead of alienating dozens of fanbases and tens of millions of fans why not create something all-inclusive and have the buzz and passion around college football at an all-time high throughout the country. I understand $ is king but the leaders need to walk lightly here. Too much greed could kill college football for good. Sometimes the sum is more valuable than the individual parts.
Oh you will get no argument from me this is 100% not good for the sport of college football. The problem is that right now there is no governing body that has any real power or control especially now that NIL is in effect. Another issue is that while the NCAA will inevitably not be a part of college football at some point whatever new committee gets put in charge will be in the pocket of the power football schools making it even worse.

I feel legitimately awful for fans of schools like KSU who are going to have to probably shut down programs and lose decades of tradition and memories. It will also have an impact on the academic side of the schools as well. I personally hate the direction this is going.

SCcyclone12

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 25, 2019
With that stadium size you would be 8th in the big ten which isnt bad at all, ive also always heard that your game experience and fans were amazing. Even texas fans seem to begrudgingly acknowledge how good your game day experience is.

Sparty has put in a ton of rules to make the game day experience awful and michigans stadium is so big that it really never gets very loud. Would love to catch a game in ames.

You should come to the ISU vs Texas game this year. That should be a loud one.

Reactions: FriendlySpartan

iowastatefan1929

Oct 26, 2006
Oh you will get no argument from me this is 100% not good for the sport of college football. The problem is that right now there is no governing body that has any real power or control especially now that NIL is in effect. Another issue is that while the NCAA will inevitably not be a part of college football at some point whatever new committee gets put in charge will be in the pocket of the power football schools making it even worse.

I feel legitimately awful for fans of schools like KSU who are going to have to probably shut down programs and lose decades of tradition and memories. It will also have an impact on the academic side of the schools as well. I personally hate the direction this is going.

no sorry bad idea, governing bodies will just be corrupted again, make a stipulation that all paying of players must be done by the wild country coin, get the presidents on board they can expel anyone that takes something besides the coin, then advertisers can buy the coin from the university to give the players, it all can be solved.

Reactions: criticalobserver

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
My bad wasn't my intention to spout "dogma", was just trying to add a different perspective since i know people on multiple big ten boards and was around in the athletic dept during the first realignment. The landscape is different now so it is very possible im completely wrong on everything but obv i dont think om wrong or I wouldnt be saying it lol

I’m not saying you’re doing anything bad. And you are correct.

and the big 10 has earned their tribalism and arrogance with their revenue streams. I think that it is even more of an arms race now, and it appears the way the game is played is changing.

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
This is correct, they share research and very occasionally facilities (like our cyclotron at State or Michigan's Burn center) but the money isn't distributed evenly.
One approach that I'm sure that ISU is taking is the sharing of academic facilities. ISU does have some very unique facilities, including the Virtual Reality Applications Center (VRAC), that I'm sure other schools would love to have better access to. It doesn't put more eyeballs on Big 10 football but it is something that the academic sides of these schools might look at as an advantage for ISU.

Also, the computer and atomic bomb (in conjunction with CIC member University of Chicago) were invented at ISU. If we don't get in, we can threaten to take away and threaten to use these items, respectively.