Perspective from the Big Ten and some much needed clarifications

cyIclSoneU

Apr 7, 2016
Well, yes lol. Just by listening to the Pac 12 it seems they are far more intrigued with expanding than the B1G is.

The more I hear about the B1G’s thinking, the more I believe Iowa State’s best realistic move is to get into the Pac-16 with Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech, and push for that league to put together a very long GOR extension. Expansion is a good time to extend the GOR and also ask FOX if they really wanna broadcast CFB or not? Because we have inventory for you.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The more I hear about the B1G’s thinking, the more I believe Iowa State’s best realistic move is to get into the Pac-16 with Kansas, Oklahoma State, and Texas Tech, and push for that league to put together a very long GOR extension. Expansion is a good time to extend the GOR and also ask FOX if they really wanna broadcast CFB or not? Because we have inventory for you.

Likely the most viable and the most co-dependent situation. Seems like the B1G doesn't need anyone (for now) but the PAC-12 could use a boost.

Cyclonepride

Thought Police
Staff member
Apr 11, 2006
A pineapple under the sea
www.oldschoolradical.com
I am aware of all

That's my point. There is zero reason for ESPN and FOX to re-up the BIG12 contract now that OU & Texas are gone. ESPN now has $450 to spread around the SEC, ACC and Big10 to keep them happy in the next round of renewals. I'm am sure ESPN is using a lot of the Big12 $450 to make the SEC deal a win for OU/Texas and the 14 existing SEC schools.

In theory, they do, but in reality, people were hinting as recently as last fall that Disney may sell off ESPN due to the overly expensive contracts they have.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
Why would they leave? Their conference literally makes the most money of any conference. This is dumb af.

Because they'd get even more money.

Texas makes more than Alabama, but they're going to go get more money.

The whole thing is dumb as F because the reasons people love college football are getting replaced with a product that will look more like the XFL.

Mar 21, 2021
Hey everyone! I found this blog when I was looking to see the reactions from the rest of the big 12 fan bases. This site has to be one of the best fan pages I have ever seen and your community/fans are absolutely incredible. I'm not sure if it was because your division was the one getting raided last time or if your fanbase didn't care about realignment last time but I have seen a lot of comments on here get some attention that don't have much basis in reality. For the record I was a Michigan State undergrad, Michigan grad student, who worked in the athletics dept at State during the last restructuring (nowhere near high enough to make decisions but was briefed on the process) and also have family/friends on the boards of both big ten schools in Michigan. Figured I could add a different view that will give a bit of hope but also a reality check.

1. No one from the ACC is going anywhere for at least a decade due to the GoR. Maybe in 2030ish there might be talks but that contract is ironclad and as much as the big ten would love to add UVA and UNC that just isn't happening.

2. Academics are unbelievably important (which is good for you guys). Remember the school presidents are the ones that make conference decisions, not the athletic directors or commissioner. You might be aware from Iowa fans but the big ten is arrogant as hell and views themselves to be far superior to the schools in the south. There is no way they are adding a school unless the academics are inline. Nebraska was only allowed in because they were supposed to be a football power. Many presidents hate the fact that they are in the league and are almost irrelevant in football. The ACC has similar views and that is probably why WVU is royally screwed here.

3. Michigan and Ohio State aren't going anywhere. I cant say this enough, there is no concern about these schools leaving the conference. Keyboard warriors and sports blogs might be spouting this nonsense but sports do not run these schools especially in a place like Michigan who loses out on great recruits all the time due to academics.

4. This move was an unbelievable power move by the SEC but they were doing it to catch up (and probably pass) the big ten who regardless of on field success was bringing in more money then each SEC school. Most big ten schools bring in around 55mil each year on media rights and the contract is up for renewal in 2 years. Most people are expecting the new contract to pay out around 70-80mil per school. Because of this there is no real incentive to add more schools just to add them. I know people really want 16 team conferences but the big ten doesn't really need to add schools that don't move the needle and no other school out their besides ND moves the needle like Texas and Oklahoma.

5. This last one is more of a warning then anything else. State had a similar run to what you are experiencing in football. We won the rose and cotton bowls when they mattered and also went to the playoffs. Then our coordinators got poached, our scheme got figured out and were back to being a middle of the road football team. Many people think this will happen to ISU once CMC leaves. I really hope he doesn't but damn you have to pray Harbaugh does well this year or they are going to back up the brinks truck.

If you guys joined the big ten I think it would be an awesome addition both geographically and for this amazing fan base but I would temper expectations because the big ten really doesn't need to make any moves. They were already in first place money wise and with the ACC's horrible rights deals that none of the schools can escape from its really going to be a 2 conference race for awhile. The big ten can just wait for the 2030's and add the teams they really want to or just sit still and do nothing at all.

Sorry for the long first post, hope you guys have an amazing season and dominate Texas and Oklahoma!!
Great post. But what's that old saying? 'There's no time like the present'...

s_ford

Jul 30, 2018
Because they'd get even more money.

Texas makes more than Alabama, but they're going to go get more money.

The whole thing is dumb as F because the reasons people love college football are getting replaced with a product that will look more like the XFL.
I agree it’s terrible but there’s just no way Ohio state and Michigan would ever leave for the sec. The research money dwarfs anything they’d ever make in football and the big ten presidents care immensely about academics.

Cloneon

Oct 29, 2015
West Virginia
Hopefully cooler heads will prevail. The emerging paradigm is so beyond the comprehension of SOOO many people. Strategizing AAU moneys, psychology to draw broader conference appeal within the conference (ie rivalries and proximity), psychology to draw broader conference appeal from outside the conference (ie playoff and bowl contenders) are the main priorities of the salespeople representing our institutions IN that order.

Personally, my time would be spent proportionally as follows: 85% my school, 13% on games within the conference relating to my schools future games, 2% on other conference's games relating to my conferences future games (ie playoff and bowl). As you cane see from these percentages (yours may be different), the better your team is, the more conference games you'll watch. And as the season draws nearer to the close, if your team is doing great, suddenly out-of-conference games gain greater appeal.

Based on this premise, the SEC's lopsided talent will draw fewer eyes during the season and will require biased advertising towards the end of the season to justify more bias for play-off teams.

All psychological indicators point to the SEC (and their egos) severely over estimating their appeal. AND on the opposite end of the spectrum a large conference (min 16, max 32) with more continuity, closer proximity of 80% of their games (eg pods, divisions, whatever), will draw a larger seasonal audience.

I still hope for all non-SEC conferences to sort this out with a newly energized NCAA because SEC 'rules' are, IMO, VERY bad for CFP.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Michigan State is considered a farm school because we used to be a primary ag college called Michigan Agricultural College. We still do have a great ag program (turf grass management for the win) but we also have 2 med schools, a vet school, law school, and a particle collider. Nowadays that term is almost exclusively used by Michigan fans. Iowa is considered a farm school just because it is in Iowa as ****** as that is. Most of the midwest doesn't know a lot about iowa besides corn and the hospital wave. (in my experience)
Try telling that to Iowa fans.. That is what we have been saying forever, and quite frankly, we are not only fine with that at ISU, we embrace it. Iowa fans run from this fact as hard as possible, it torments them on a spiritual level, and their capacity for delusional rejection of this fact knows no bounds. It's a paradox how much casual support Iowa has retained in rural Iowa despite their open contempt for the industry and identity most of these communities largely depend on. It's the big lie emporer has no clothes branding situation we have sadly been on the losing side of for a long time, at least with casual passive fans of this great state.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
Why would they leave? Their conference literally makes the most money of any conference. This is dumb af.

You sound like an expert in being dumb af.

move on from 2010. It’s a different world now. Ohio state fans aren’t happy now they’re not competitive with Alabama. When you add other schools to that list, they will fall even further behind.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
I agree it’s terrible but there’s just no way Ohio state and Michigan would ever leave for the sec. The research money dwarfs anything they’d ever make in football and the big ten presidents care immensely about academics.

You really think so?

There's other things that have gone on at these prestigious places that didn't get much priority so I'm not sure where academics comes in outside of word service.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
Great points! The gap is probably going to shrink. Remember the big ten has always made more money then the SEC despite on field performance. Also the big ten has 10 schools in the top 40 of endowments, the SEC has Vanderbilt and now the two texas schools. Those multibillion dollar enrollments mean mega donors who are chomping at the bit to use NIL.

You are 100% correct that many schools aren't on the same attendance trajectory, but that is to be expected for a program on the rise as ours was during the early dantonio years. But here is the key point. Stadium capacity and attendance don't mean anything to media deals. Does your school move the needle and have brand recognition? That's what matters. Also I really hope CMC stays but if he leaves there is no guarantee you will still be a good team, I've seen this first hand how quick the fall can be for a non traditional modern football power.
This is a great thread started by the OP. They make many great points about the realignment landscape. I’d like to push back some on the bolded. Iowa State’s attendance trajectory predates Campbell by five seasons. From 2006-2010, Iowa State averaged 46,795 spectators per game. In 2011 there was a significant increase, buoyed by the relative success of Paul Rhoads and the growth of the university at that time. From 2000-2007, average enrollment was 26,503 students. In the following years enrollment would reach a high point of 36,660 students in 2016. From 2011-2015, all under Coach Rhoads and including the 2013-15 seasons that totaled eight wins, ISU averaged 54,599 fans, an increase of 7,804 over the previous five seasons and vaulting ISU into the mid-30’s in national attendance. From 2016-2019, under Matt Campbell and with a stadium expansion that brought capacity above 60k for the first time, attendance has been up 1,974 fans per game over the previous five year period, with that figure still trending up.

Of course if ISU were to revert to being a two win team, attendance would suffer. But the floor is at least provably higher than during the last round of realignment, and Big Ten membership would only raise it. As the OP stated though, none of this necessarily matters. Food for thought.

RezClone

Mar 2, 2013
Pine Ridge Indian Reservation, SD
Changing course a bit, so our healthy use of black uniforms have been a curious source of some controversy, positive and negative, inside and outside the program. My question, sir, is three-fold.
1) Do you like them?
2) How do you feel about uniforms straying "too far" from traditional colors and norms beyond a rarely worn "alternate"?
3) Can we PLEASE get your insider take on these eye poppers?
usatsi_13327470.jpg

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You really think so?

There's other things that have gone on at these prestigious places that didn't get much priority so I'm not sure where academics comes in outside of word service.
He is right, there is zero chance of either team leaving. OSU was just in a national championship game, has won a lot lately and has the top ranked recruiting classes in football and basketball. They currently make more money then the sec in media deals and will be getting even more in a few years. The big ten isnt some fly by night conference its been around for close to a century, they aren't leaving.

• Optimistic
Reactions: Cyclones1969

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
Changing course a bit, so our healthy use of black uniforms have been a curious source of some controversy, positive and negative, inside and outside the program. My question, sir, is three-fold.
1) Do you like them?
2) How do you feel about uniforms straying "too far" from traditional colors and norms beyond a rarely worn "alternate"?
3) Can we PLEASE get your insider take on these eye poppers?
View attachment 87542
Fans hate these uniforms with a passion but they seemed to get a lot of love from the players. Give me the classic green and white any day.

• Informative
Reactions: RezClone

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
This is a great thread started by the OP. They make many great points about the realignment landscape. I’d like to push back some on the bolded. Iowa State’s attendance trajectory predates Campbell by five seasons. From 2006-2010, Iowa State averaged 46,795 spectators per game. In 2011 there was a significant increase, buoyed by the relative success of Paul Rhoads and the growth of the university at that time. From 2000-2007, average enrollment was 26,503 students. In the following years enrollment would reach a high point of 36,660 students in 2016. From 2011-2015, all under Coach Rhoads and including the 2013-15 seasons that totaled eight wins, ISU averaged 54,599 fans, an increase of 7,804 over the previous five seasons and vaulting ISU into the mid-30’s in national attendance. From 2016-2019, under Matt Campbell and with a stadium expansion that brought capacity above 60k for the first time, attendance has been up 1,974 fans per game over the previous five year period, with that figure still trending up.

Of course if ISU were to revert to being a two win team, attendance would suffer. But the floor is at least provably higher than during the last round of realignment, and Big Ten membership would only raise it. As the OP stated though, none of this necessarily matters. Food for thought.
With that stadium size you would be 8th in the big ten which isnt bad at all, ive also always heard that your game experience and fans were amazing. Even texas fans seem to begrudgingly acknowledge how good your game day experience is.

Sparty has put in a ton of rules to make the game day experience awful and michigans stadium is so big that it really never gets very loud. Would love to catch a game in ames.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He is right, there is zero chance of either team leaving. OSU was just in a national championship game, has won a lot lately and has the top ranked recruiting classes in football and basketball. They currently make more money then the sec in media deals and will be getting even more in a few years. The big ten isnt some fly by night conference its been around for close to a century, they aren't leaving.

I'm asking about the idea that academics are some sort of priority after some really awful things were essentially brushed off so schools could still make their football money.

OnlyCyclones

Feb 27, 2017
I think you’re right, but the Big 8 was a conference with 70+ years of tradition until economic realities made the Big 12. I could see the Big Ten being different, but ultimately who you play football with and who you research with doesn’t have to be the same people.

Cyclones1969

Jul 26, 2021
I think you’re right, but the Big 8 was a conference with 70+ years of tradition until economic realities made the Big 12. I could see the Big Ten being different, but ultimately who you play football with and who you research with doesn’t have to be the same people.

The big 10 is a very tribal, very arrogant conference.

but they still absolutely have their pecking order. They changed the rules at least 3 times last year to allow Ohio state to play in the championship game. They would do that for Michigan and Penn St too.
There is not another team they would have done that for.

ohio state makes the rules. Michigan and penn st are at the table. No one else is.

we are getting a lot of standard big 10 propaganda from this gentleman. The landscape is not the same anymore.

• Agree
Reactions: RezClone

Help Support Us

Become a patron