Perspective from the Big Ten and some much needed clarifications

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
You aren’t going to throw away known content in established media markets like AZ and CO even if everything goes streaming, and then those brands are still valuable. Not everyone is going to be up or down at any one time.

I fail to understand how adding AAU teams to your conference is going to have a negative effect on your individual donor base. Is this still not the cherry on top? No one is telling them to start accepting WVU so they can burn a couch at your donor meeting.
Oh its not I was just referring to the paying the bills line. Arizona is a very interesting market that never gets talked about and i honestly have no idea why. Or for that matter how they aren't dominant in revenue sports giving how mind-blowingly attractive their campus is. At this time AAU membership is a must. Also dont take couch burning away from us its what we do.

Reactions: Rods79

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
This is completely at odds with what the B1G Presidents did literally less than a decade ago. They added schools they didn’t want for “meaningless tv dollars.” It’s word for word what they did.
The only school they didn't really want was Nebraska but they took them because we were just starting with divisions and they wanted a traditional power in the west division. As ****** as Rutgers was when they were brought in it was thought they were on the rise and Maryland was genuinely wanted. The thought was once both those schools got the big ten cash they would get better and Maryland had that under armour appeal at the time. This I can say with absolute confidence since i was around in the athletic dept during the first expansion. While fans still hate Rutgers the university presidents are pretty ok with their presence today.

Reactions: CyTwister

Rods79

Nov 27, 2006
Des Moines
Oh its not I was just referring to the paying the bills line. Arizona is a very interesting market that never gets talked about and i honestly have no idea why. Or for that matter how they aren't dominant in revenue sports giving how mind-blowingly attractive their campus is. At this time AAU membership is a must. Also dont take couch burning away from us its what we do.

I guess that would be an even bigger offense then…seeing a hillbilly desperately try to steal your tradition in the middle of a donor meeting.

FriendlySpartan

Jul 26, 2021
We get it, we’re boned. Sad that our research money wouldn’t be enough to get an invite.
As long as you have CMC you aren't boned. Keep winning and see how it plays out. Lock him down for the longest deal possible with a massive buyout and see what happens in the next few years while texas and OU are still in the conference. Just because you dont get an invite this year doesnt mean it wont happen. Winning fixes everything just look at clemson.

Reactions: CyclonesMoney

NDMARTIN2015

Jun 7, 2018
Des Moines
As long as you have CMC you aren't boned. Keep winning and see how it plays out. Lock him down for the longest deal possible with a massive buyout and see what happens in the next few years while texas and OU are still in the conference. Just because you dont get an invite this year doesnt mean it wont happen. Winning fixes everything just look at clemson.
Right, I’m saying we get quite a bit of money for research so we have some value there. Also, we are a premier land grand school. Just wish we had a law school or something.

cyputz

Jul 26, 2006
Great discussions!

I would love to see ISU in the B10, or SEC. preference B10.

I picked up a new phrase through all this “move the needle”

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
I think that could possibly happen but im not 100% sure how valuable the pac 12 is at the moment.

One thing that people keep missing is how massively wealthy the big ten schools are and by proxy the donors. Yeah the media money is great but its still just a drop in the bucket for these schools. Michigan state aka the farm school in Michigan still has over a 3 billion dollar endowment and several billionaire donors that drop insane money on a regular basis and we are one of the poorer schools in the big ten. That's larger then Alabama, Tenn, and kentucky endowments combined. So yeah the SEC needs the money to pay the bills but for most big ten schools that's just the cherry on top.
We dealt with Texas, we understand wealthy schools.

Cydwinder

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jun 9, 2010
London, UK
I get the alure of Stanford, USC, UCLA, etc. But for the BIG10, wow thats alot of travel, I don't need to hear the "it's just a plain ride away". Thats hard on students and the your not going to get the fans traveling on a regular basis. Add geography into decisions, and you get high level rivalries that will get watched and great games.
I think this is an important factor to consider. Would there be more people who casually watch ISU vs Michigan State or Cal vs Michigan State? If people find the intensity and passion in a rivalry interesting, the value goes up. I don’t know what that value is but it could be another factor to consider

Daserop

Feb 9, 2011
The Bebop
Granted, ISU may not bring a huge National brand, but the playoff expansion could change this calculus.

In 2019, power 5 athletic programs generated nearly $3B in revenue, most of it from football.

Some are estimating that the 11 playoff games could be worth up to $2B! That’s huge $$$ compared to a normal, regular season game.

Under CMC, ISU could regularly contend for a play off spot and increase the B1G’s likelihood of grabbing more playoff cash.

Pete # Heartland Sports does a good job at explaining why things are not good for ISU and the other remaining 7 members.

Reactions: helechopper

KneeGusto

May 13, 2006
S̶q̶u̶a̶w̶ Ioway Creek
A possible solution that makes sense so it will never happen:

Move Purdue & Illinois to the East. Invite SLAM to the West. Stillwater, Lawrence, Ames, and Manhatten. Traditional rivalries, drivable games, sold out stadiums, regional media rating records... Or we could try to keep the Big XII alive - maybe invite UCF and Boise St and Memphis and xyz State. I prefer the former.

As far as our entering a conference module with EIU - how does ATM feel about UT being on their schedule each year? At least we already play Iowa each (regular) year anyway. It would give them another non-con on even years - probably a 1.5 M windfall.

Reactions: Cyclonepride

Mississippi Clone

Aug 6, 2016
I think timing is the problem. I think Texas and OU will be in the SEC as early as a year from now. They will either have their lawyers work on how to reduce the penalty to get out or just pay the fines and go. We are likely to have a really good year, and have the best recruiting class we have had in a long time. We just signed Matt Campbell to a long term contract extension with a stout buy-out. But say Texas and OU leave by next fall, Campbell leads us to a great year, and we are left hanging looking at playing in the Mountain West, Big 12 sisters of the poor or some independent status. Campbell has been great but he would be at his highest marketability If a top level school wants him no buyout will stop them. His new recruits want to play big time football so some decommit. Things are happening fast, I don't think we have the luxury of waiting it out. So we may just be boned and it really sucks because we have a great coach and our program is really building. If Texas and OU had left in 2 or 3 years I think we would be fine, now not so sure.

cayin

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 11, 2006
This is where I'm at as well. I think Iowa State eventually ends up in the Big 10 but not for another 6-8 years.

There is no reason for them to add Iowa St or Kansas anytime soon. Neither moves the needle at all and would seem like mercy admissions because they felt sorry for us. I dont see that happening.

I think the Big 12 tries to stick around as long as it can and we use the next 5 years as an audition process .
that is not going to work. What is our coaching staff supposed to tell recruits on what league we are playing in?

Statefan10

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 20, 2019
that is not going to work. What is our coaching staff supposed to tell recruits on what league we are playing in?
At the ABSOLUTE latest, we’re in the B1G in 2025 when our GOR is up. But I don’t even think the Big 12 will be around past 2023. I think it’ll be dissolved by then or morphed into the Pac12 if the top members of the Pac12 are poached by the B1G.

• Optimistic
Reactions: cyIclSoneU

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
ESPN has no reason to renegotiate the ACC deal because they will be laying out the red carpet for Clemson and Florida State at a minimum to come over to the SEC sometime before their GOR is up. Then the ACC will be worth not much more than the Big 12 leftovers. Maybe UVA and UNC join the B1G or SEC.

If the B1G has taken the valuable Pac-12 schools by then, the ACC/B12/Pac leftovers will essentially be a second tier in CFB. Using 2021 dollars, they will be in the teens in millions of $ per year per school in media rights while the B1G/SEC with USC/Clemson etc. will be approaching 100M per school.

One more sign (a dollar sign $) that eventually this WILL be two different animals. The SEC (Super ESPN Conference) with about 20 teams making $100M+ per year, and the NCAA with about 50 teams making $20M per year.

Personally I will be watching the latter, not the former.

LLCoolCY

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 28, 2010
Minneapolis
I think timing is the problem. I think Texas and OU will be in the SEC as early as a year from now. They will either have their lawyers work on how to reduce the penalty to get out or just pay the fines and go. We are likely to have a really good year, and have the best recruiting class we have had in a long time. We just signed Matt Campbell to a long term contract extension with a stout buy-out. But say Texas and OU leave by next fall, Campbell leads us to a great year, and we are left hanging looking at playing in the Mountain West, Big 12 sisters of the poor or some independent status. Campbell has been great but he would be at his highest marketability If a top level school wants him no buyout will stop them. His new recruits want to play big time football so some decommit. Things are happening fast, I don't think we have the luxury of waiting it out. So we may just be boned and it really sucks because we have a great coach and our program is really building. If Texas and OU had left in 2 or 3 years I think we would be fine, now not so sure.

Timing was never going to be great but ISU is in a lot better position than 10 years ago when it was almost certain to many that UT/OU were PAC bound and ISU would have been Big East/AAC/MWC. Our AD was proactive to expand the stadium invest in the program and did choose the right coach. I am just glad the conversation has changed from will ISU continue to have P5 Football to which conference would be the best add ISU. The Big 10 question for instance has changed from ISU isn't worthy of an invite due to the program to now brining the fans to add some value rather it is just timing that the B1G isn't looking to expand.

We do need to recognize the current BOR doesn't end to 2025 and I doubt any of the left 8 are going to be too keen on letting OU/UT out of their media obligations unless there is compelling reason to. Those being they agree to pay the money and play in SEC for free, there is a landing spot for the teams and it makes since to move to a new conference thus forfeiting their BOR. I am not naïve to think UT/OU will play in the B12 any further than through next year but the Big 12 can remain viable for a couple years after due to the current BOR. That is why the current AD's are making their statements and not trying to jump today rather playing it out for a while and will get close to the money owed.

As for Campbell, I get the worries on but he isn't at ISU trying to make a jump as has been discussed he's had the opportunities to coach in the mighty SEC and NFL the past couple of year more than doubling his pay and declined. While no one expects him to stay and coach at a MWC level contract we are a ways off from that point.