Physical play vs FOULS

DrClone

Jun 13, 2009
I thought there were a lot of uncalled fouls today vs UCF. Through my biased cardinal colored glasses it looked like UCF got away with a lot more than we did. I usually don't complain if only a couple calls go one way or the other, that's part of the game. The referees need to set the tone early and be consistent throughout the game.

rosshm16

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 8, 2023
It is hard to tell what is a real problem and what is just my homer-goggles, but the inconsistency this year drives me nuts (as a player it must be maddening). The same amount and same type of contact isn't allowed for both teams, rules on what's a foul changes from game to game, half to half, minute to minute even.

Maybe we just need AI computer vision refs.

ClubCy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 8, 2023
It is hard to tell what is a real problem and what is just my homer-goggles, but the inconsistency this year drives me nuts (as a player it must be maddening). The same amount and same type of contact isn't allowed for both teams, rules on what's a foul changes from game to game, half to half, minute to minute even.

Maybe we just need AI computer vision refs.
Didn’t you say you stopped watching the game?

cyclonespiker33

SuperFanatic
Jan 19, 2011
It is human nature to start letting things go if a bunch of fouls are called early. Nobody wants a 3 hour game with a hundred free throws.

There is a right way to call the game, but it is such a fine line of what to call and what to let go.

• Agree
Reactions: stateofmind

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
It is human nature to start letting things go if a bunch of fouls are called early. Nobody wants a 3 hour game with a hundred free throws.

There is a right way to call the game, but it is such a fine line of what to call and what to let go.

Without looking back at it to confirm my memory, today it almost felt like the reverse happened- things were called pretty loose early then they tightened down dramatically the rest of the first half after Rob took that big hit, then things loosened up in the 2H.

Most big 12 games we see a pretty loose first half and then it turns really tight 2nd half

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
I didn't think the refs were bad. They will miss calls, especially in a game as physical as this one.
Foul calls are okay to miss as long as consistent.

The elbow on Lipsey was a classic flagerent one and the shooting foul call on that shot on the top of the arc was horrible.

Far from the best refs we’ve had all year, but not the worst either.

Reactions: McKinney

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.

The elbow on Lipsey was a classic flagerent one and the shooting foul call on that shot on the top of the arc was horrible.

the two on the floor fouls that were called continuation were ********* calls.

NY Chicago Fan

Mar 17, 2023

Disagree on the elbow: post player turning around was normal basketball motion, he wasn't even clearing out space really. The height difference made it look worse, common foul is all

SolterraCyclone

Jul 26, 2021
Disagree on the elbow: post player turning around was normal basketball motion, he wasn't even clearing out space really. The height difference made it look worse, common foul is all
Yeah I didn’t think that should have been a flagrant. The only two calls that I thought were objectively wrong were the continuation calls

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM
Don’t really have a problem with the calls specifically, more of just how they let the game flow. That looked like a game that could really get out of hand. Credit to the coaches and players of both teams for being professional.

ChickenNuggetMan

Drinks beer with CycloneLarry69
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Apr 24, 2017
Minneapolis
It seems like this is just a product of the play style we’ve become known for. It’s been most games this season, I’m not sure there’s much we can do now that we’ve become known as a defensive juggernaut.

Cyforce

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 24, 2009
Des Moines
I thought there were a lot of uncalled fouls today vs UCF. Through my biased cardinal colored glasses it looked like UCF got away with a lot more than we did. I usually don't complain if only a couple calls go one way or the other, that's part of the game. The referees need to set the tone early and be consistent throughout the game.
I think we dribbled into a lot of stupid places. Honestly Uncalled fouls? Absolutely, but refs don't like to bail out stupid decisions.

Last edited:

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I always give refs grace because they’re running up and down the court, trying to follow the action, seeing through 5 or 6 guys between them and the ball, and naturally are going to (unfortunately) blow some whistles assuming a foul is going to be committed even though it isn’t. We have the luxury of a bird’s view in the stands or on TV.

Obviously I want them to be consistent, but style of play and style of defense also make a huge difference. If you teach truly great defensive skills like Iowa State and Virginia, you are sometimes more noticeable when actually making contact. On the flip side, teams like West Virginia that just throw elbows and bodies around and hope they have enough depth to make it gets hard and tiring to call.

Last edited:

HFCS

Aug 13, 2010
LA LA Land

They called the last five minutes like a normal game so no clue why they couldn’t do it all game.

I believe in ISU’s ability to adjust and that they can defend without fouling.

UCF has a lot of physical athletic players that play kind of out of control and maybe an officiating challenge.

Jer

Opinionated
Feb 28, 2006
I think we dribbled into a lot of stupid places. Honestly Lipsey was getting close to unplayable. Uncalled fouls? Absolutely, but refs don't like to bail out stupid decisions.
He’s a really good player, but he reminds me of some past PGs that have a tendency to get really sloppy when trying to force themselves inside down low. He makes some bad decisions and he’s stuck just tossing the ball over his back towards the hoop or randomly tossing it and it getting stolen. When he plays under control and within himself, he’s great. When he tries to be a dynamic shot creator, he gets overwhelmed.

• Agree
Reactions: 67CY

cycfan1

Nov 27, 2006
Ames
Check out Rob Jones at Kansas two years ago. Second half.

riceville98

Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 17, 2008
Iowa
The inconsistency of big 12 refs is what drives me nuts as well.