Poll: College football vs weddings

A friend asks you to be in their wedding the same day as a home football game, do you

• attend the ceremony, but record the game.

Votes: 37 31.9%
  • show up, but wear a radio and an earbud.

Votes: 21 18.1%
  • politely decline, but send a nice gift.

Votes: 17 14.7%
  • ask your friend if they're insane!

Votes: 41 35.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
Our daughter's wedding was the same day as the Nebraska FB game last year. We listened on the radio in the church's kitchen area until we fell behind. By then it was time for the wedding to start. During the early planning stages, home FB game weekends were not on the possible schedule.

2020cy

Aug 7, 2006
Summer is the time for weddings. Fall is for football and hunting. Why can't people figure this out.

Reactions: ajk4st8

Angie

Tugboats and arson.
Staff member
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 27, 2006
IA
Our daughter's wedding was the same day as the Nebraska FB game last year. We listened on the radio in the church's kitchen area until we fell behind. By then it was time for the wedding to start. During the early planning stages, home FB game weekends were not on the possible schedule.

I'll fess up, too - we chose our wedding date before the FB schedule came out, and thought we were choosing a day that would be before the season started. Ended up being on the day of the UNI game. We scheduled it for after the game, though.

jdoggivjc

Sep 27, 2006
Macomb, MI
got married the day of the ISU-Nebraska game in 2006. Considering the outcome of that game, to this day I still say I made the right choice...

jcats322

Oct 6, 2007
West Des Moines
I had a friend that got married the day of the ISU/Iowa game. The game was in IC and the wedding was in Cedar Rapids, a bunch of us just said "we'll see you at the reception." Not sure of the year but it was a Clone win and three kids later the marriage it going strong. Good day.

Last edited:

sevenyearhawk

Apr 3, 2008
KUSports.com
www.beakem.org
A tip of the KU hardhat

I AM IMPRESSED!!!

So far, the highest numbers of votes are from the Cyclone fans!

However, the funniest story is from an Okie State fan, go back to my homeboard, KUSports, and then look for the link to OrangePower.com ...

This has been entertaining and enlightening! :wink:

Reactions: Angie

Broodwich

Nov 22, 2006
42.186391, -93.598597
Scheduling a wedding on the ISU / Iowa game date is one of the most rude, self-centered things a friend can do. In this state it is on par with having it on Thanksgiving or Christmas.

garn91

Jun 1, 2006
Ankeny
I had a cousin over in Omaha who got married 3 years ago on an October Saturday and I said are you mad!?!?!?! His response was don't worry, I already looked at the schedule and NU was playing Baylor.

I told my wife when we were wedding planning that a fall wedding was out of the question. Football being the primary reason and i've got family who farm, including my best man.

ajk4st8

Mar 27, 2006
Ankeny
I was lucky. My wife did not want to miss football games either. Made a summer wedding an easy sell.

HandSanitizer

Apr 19, 2006
Bondurant, IA
Hey now... she's YOU'RE sister!!! She agreed to the terms and now she wants to change them. Talk some sense in to her will ya? This is killing me!!!!!!!!!!!

GO STATE!!!!!!

:biglaugh:

I was wondering when you might pop in for a comment.
I will let her slide this time, but she better hope that ISU wins.

wright4cy

Jan 15, 2007
Boone
We have informed family and friends we dont miss home games !Ever ! We have missed some family events and gone late to a few , but they all know we absolutely love the cyclones! :yes::biggrin: I honestly think they would be disappointed if we did it any other way.

kurecabinboy

Apr 22, 2008
A friend of mine got married in Ames and had the reception at the Sheman Building on gameday against Iowa in 1999. She invited me and said I could show up to the reception in my game gear and half in the bag. What? I told her she was an idiot for not looking at the ISU schedule and there's no way I was going.

I learned that she is recently divorced, so having a wedding on an ISU game day, ESPECIALLY the Iowa game, is (at least) bad luck.

kurecabinboy

Apr 22, 2008
On another note, I have to say my eight-year streak of attending all the ISU-Iowa games ended in 2003 when I went to my grandma's 80th birthday celebration. She is an ISU fan and said I didn't need to come, but she's grandma and that's the only reason I would miss the game.

Ms3r4ISU

Me: Mea culpa. Also me: Sine cura sis.
Staff member
Bookie
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 7, 2008
Ames
I'll fess up, too - we chose our wedding date before the FB schedule came out, and thought we were choosing a day that would be before the season started. Ended up being on the day of the UNI game. We scheduled it for after the game, though.

Remember, the Nebraska game was away last year. We got to listen to a bit of ISU being ahead, before it was time for the ceremony.

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
I guy I went to ISU with got married during the ISU-NU game several years back. His fiance was pretty cool and wrote a letter to McCarney, saying that he was a huge Cyclone fan but couldn't make it to the game because of the wedding. McCarney wrote him a really neat letter that she gave him as a surprise at the reception. It was pretty cool. And I heard that they had a big screen at the reception for everyone to watch the game.

Help Support Us

Become a patron