Press Box Question

TXCyclones

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 13, 2011
TX
Let them sit in the replay booth, wherever that is. Clearly need more eyes on the replay than the game itself.

KennyPratt42

The Legend
Jan 13, 2017
Jack Trice has roughly the correct number of suites to accommodate demand based on everything I've ever heard (and if they were going to add more I would think they would do it on either side of the Jack Trice Club). But at some point in the future, I could see them adding a third type of club section as part of a press box expansion/renovation. Something that is a little more corporate geared when compared to the Sukup or Jack Trice clubs.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
In 7 short years, the GOR in the Big 12 run out, IF OU or UT decide they can get a better deal in another conference, the other 8 of us are going to be scrambling to get a seat at the remain Power 4 conferences. ISU should be doing everything in their power to be one of those 6 other schools that get a spot in another conference.

ISU has been making progress to that means, the football teams performance the last 2 years and the ticket buying by ISU fans have both increased. Why stop there? Have you looked at what the other conference schools are doing to their stadiums? Hell, even Kansas has unveiled a couple hundred million dollar project to redo their stadium.

Those premium seats will be sold if we continue to win, corporations in Des Moines are there for the boxes, we have to plan now for the future. People said the same thing about bowling in the South Endzone, "wait until we need it, and then add on". Would anyone argue that not only has attendence increased, but the look and feel of the stadium is also better. It took a few years, but all of those seats were sold out this past season, premium seating and boxes would work the same way.

ISU has built the new weight room and food center, the academic center is now there. Its time to enlarge the press box area with more boxes and premium seating and move the intermural fields on the east side of the stadium to out by the cross country course and use that land for parking.
We will only get one shot at this if the conference collapses, we had better to be the next prettiest girl left to take after OU, UT and UK leave. If the conference stays together, great, we will still have the upgrades.

Remo Gaggi

Aug 28, 2018
I was at the game in Kansas and they have a huge five-story full width press/luxury suite tower, on par with the asshats over in hok land. It hasn't helped them win many games. Put the money and resources into getting top players into the program which results in other teams being absolutely crushed into oblivion on the playing field. I'm looking at you, baby brothers. Put on an extra diaper when you come into JTS in September.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
I know this topic comes up once a month with the same things being said but I'll throw out my thoughts as well.

I understand we already have plenty of suites throughout the stadium, however, just from a visual standpoint our press box looks very small (insert stupid joke). But in all honesty just to have that big time feel in our stadium we will need to replace it. Even if it is not as tall as it currently is but have it run the full length of the stadium. Have multi use space in it that can be used for other events as well (Although I believe this kind of space is being put in the new building next to the Jake? Not sure though). I think it would help from a recruiting standpoint to have a bigger time feel.

I'm fine with this being put off for a few years as more immediate needs are addressed, but do think it is a must to continue moving up relative to our competition.
So we should spend $150+ million on a Sky box that is not needed to make the stadium look better? Person
Here is a link to Alabama's sky boxes that supposedly do not exist.
https://rolltide.com/news/2006/11/1...es_Provide_Alabama_s_Most_Luxurious_Look.aspx

A link to the ones in Texas.
https://www.austinchronicle.com/news/1996-10-04/524680/

Link to the ones at TCU

Link to the ones at LSU
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=211661630

The University of Iowa added 17 skyboxes to its football stadium last year. The boxes lease for between $10,000 and $18,000 per year. Mark Jennings, of the school's athletic department, says "the demand was coming from the donors, not from us." And he says the skyboxes have become an important marketing tool for the school. "It's not just good for athletics," he said. "It's good for the whole University of Iowa. If you can chat with friends of the university on a casual basis during a football game, you get your foot in the door for other things. I wish we had more boxes. I could probably sell 10 tomorrow." This article was printed before Iowa redid their North endzone which added another 1,570 premium seats. https://kinnickedge.org/

ISU needs to expand the press box to bring in more sky boxes and the added revenue. Not for the coaches or the press, but for the fans, revenue and increasing the look of the stadium.
None of those are in Press box/skybox though, if you look at those stadiums they dont have traditional skyboxes they have their suits and press and clubs in other areas actually integrated into the stadium like most of our suites and club sections are. None of these stadiums have a true Crows nest/skybox like ours or similar or smaller. Iowa has all theres in their sky box which is what everyone likes to compare ours too.

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
In 7 short years, the GOR in the Big 12 run out, IF OU or UT decide they can get a better deal in another conference, the other 8 of us are going to be scrambling to get a seat at the remain Power 4 conferences. ISU should be doing everything in their power to be one of those 6 other schools that get a spot in another conference.

I'm so tired of this argument. Wake up. No one else is going to take us. It's Big 12 or bust.

Good News: OU & Texas are heavyweights again. There is a clear path to the football championship and we're making bank. Wait 'til they announce the returns for this fiscal year. Big 12 bowl run + making noise this March will equal lucrative gains.

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
You need to update your sources.

Washington State:
WSU-125%20cropped_cr.jpg

Vanderbilt:
vanderbilt-university-football-2008-season-gameday-at-vanderbilt-stadium-van-f-2008-00046lg11.jpg

TCU (future expansion):
Amon%20G.%20Carter%20Stadium%20-%20Premium%20Seating%20Expansion.jpg

Ryan Field:
1200px-Ryan_Field.jpg

Stanford:
Stanford-Stadium-Section-231-Row-X-on-4-11-2015f.jpg

South Carolina:
press-box-at-williams.jpg

LA Coliseum (new this year):
la-coliseum-renovation-2-oct2915.jpg

And finally- the needle on top of the haystack:
JackTriceStadium4.jpg

& when you say "none" you really should be saying: "Field-length luxury suites with a THIRD upper deck for a roof."
Some of those havent even been built yet and some of those the perspective makes them look bitter if you take a picture of JT skybox from right below it it would look bigger too.
and you say "field lenght luxury suits with a third upper deck for a roof" so kinda like "FIELD LENGTH LUXURY SUITES WITH A SECOND DECK FOR A ROOF AND A SKY BOX ON TOP" like JT has. Plus luxury box in both endzones and the opposite side as well. You all want to say all these stadiums have their skyboxes between decks WELL SO DOES JT.

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
I'm so tired of this argument. Wake up. No one else is going to take us. It's Big 12 or bust.

Good News: OU & Texas are heavyweights again. There is a clear path to the football championship and we're making bank. Wait 'til they announce the returns for this fiscal year. Big 12 bowl run + making noise this March will equal lucrative gains.

BS, some schools are going to fill those other 6 slots, do you really think that say OU and UT go to the big 10 the SEC, ACC and Pac 12 are not going to also expand? It will be a feeding frenzy by the other conferences to get the best remaining schools.

ISU is an AAU school, that will mean something to the Pac 12, we are a large land grant university, not a small private college. Our attendence in football would have put us 8th in the big 10, right behind Iowa. Our men's and woman's basketball teams attendence were both in the top 20 last year.
If the conference goes tits up, ISU has a lot to offer a difference conference. Is it really better to be in Lubick Texas or Morgantown WV. The rape culture at Baylor? The middle of nowhere Manhattan Kansas?

2speedy1

Jan 4, 2014
Here is a link to Alabama's sky boxes that supposedly do not exist.
https://rolltide.com/news/2006/11/1...es_Provide_Alabama_s_Most_Luxurious_Look.aspx

A link to the ones in Texas.

Link to the ones at TCU

Link to the ones at LSU
http://www.lsusports.net/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=5200&ATCLID=211661630

The University of Iowa added 17 skyboxes to its football stadium last year. The boxes lease for between $10,000 and $18,000 per year. Mark Jennings, of the school's athletic department, says "the demand was coming from the donors, not from us." And he says the skyboxes have become an important marketing tool for the school. "It's not just good for athletics," he said. "It's good for the whole University of Iowa. If you can chat with friends of the university on a casual basis during a football game, you get your foot in the door for other things. I wish we had more boxes. I could probably sell 10 tomorrow." This article was printed before Iowa redid their North endzone which added another 1,570 premium seats. https://kinnickedge.org/

ISU needs to expand the press box to bring in more sky boxes and the added revenue. Not for the coaches or the press, but for the fans, revenue and increasing the look of the stadium.
This list wasnt about luxury boxes, suites and club sections because all these stadiums have them, just in other areas not in true sky boxes just like Jack Trice, it is just Jack Trice has both. Some of these stadiums have just built a one or some have plans too but looking them all up I didnt get into it extremely deep an may have missed a couple especially upcoming planning. Also when I say same I mean fairly relative in size maybe a bit wider but not as many decks etc.
I have heard there is getting to be some more demand for club sections and luxury boxes in JT. And right now I have heard rumors of a waiting list for both and that bot JP and CMC want to and have plans to go "UP" with the next expansion so one can take that for what its worth.
If that is truly the case and there is more demand for premium seating than there is for general admission I could very easily see an expansion of the sky box or something similar in the near future to add both open air club and enclosed suite atmospheres. But there is area on the East concourse to add additional suites without much effort at this point right now. So I guess we will see. Maybe we will see a complete box all the way around then everyone will be happy.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
JP has navigated us through these messes in the past, if he is here, he will navigate it again.

Think about this, what is more attractive us in our current football situation with the stadium we have or a decked out pressbox on our stadium and being 3-9 like under CPR? Invest the money is coaches to get us winning, that is what TCU and other small schools did to get pulled into P5s. Then you get the money and the funds will pay for expansion.

• Agree
Reactions: NWICY and everyyard

Cyclones_R_GR8

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Feb 10, 2007
Omaha

ISU has been making progress to that means, the football teams performance the last 2 years and the ticket buying by ISU fans have both increased. Why stop there? Have you looked at what the other conference schools are doing to their stadiums? Hell, even Kansas has unveiled a couple hundred million dollar project to redo their stadium.

Those premium seats will be sold if we continue to win, corporations in Des Moines are there for the boxes, we have to plan now for the future. People said the same thing about bowling in the South Endzone, "wait until we need it, and then add on". Would anyone argue that not only has attendence increased, but the look and feel of the stadium is also better. It took a few years, but all of those seats were sold out this past season, premium seating and boxes would work the same way.

ISU has built the new weight room and food center, the academic center is now there. Its time to enlarge the press box area with more boxes and premium seating and move the intermural fields on the east side of the stadium to out by the cross country course and use that land for parking.
We will only get one shot at this if the conference collapses, we had better to be the next prettiest girl left to take after OU, UT and UK leave. If the conference stays together, great, we will still have the upgrades.
I'm sure the size of the damn press box is at the top of the list when other conferences consider adding another member.

MNCYWX

Feb 7, 2010
Med City, MN
Look... if small station MNCYWX can get a press pass with a seat in the box... there isn't a huge crunch on space. Would be nice if there was some A/C up there in September though! :)

SEIOWA CLONE

Dec 19, 2018
JP has navigated us through these messes in the past, if he is here, he will navigate it again.

Think about this, what is more attractive us in our current football situation with the stadium we have or a decked out pressbox on our stadium and being 3-9 like under CPR? Invest the money is coaches to get us winning, that is what TCU and other small schools did to get pulled into P5s. Then you get the money and the funds will pay for expansion.

Did we just not extend Campbells contract last season, and this year ponied up another 1.5 million for assistance coaches. Are you saying we should be go out and offer 7 to 10 million for a head coach? Right now, Free Rents at Iowa for 20 seasons is making 4.7 million, Campbell after 3 at ISU is making 4.0 million.
Do you think Campbell if he would leave, is because we are under paying him?
For those that think its unnecessary to build the press box, where should that money be spent then?
We have added to the South Endzone,
We have built a new weight room., locker room and coaches offices.
We are building the new nutrition center and academic center.
We have built the bb complex or practice building.
We have built a new track and softball fields.
We have widened the areas on both the east and west side of JTS.

So what would you build next if not a press box, with premium seating and boxes?

• Dumb
Reactions: CtownCyclone

Tornado man

Sep 16, 2007
Ames, IA
ISU needs to replace the press box, not for the working press or coaches, but the ability to make more money though private fan boxes and club seating. That is what is still missing at JTS. It would also give off a big time football look and feel to sell to recruits.
Hopefully a press box with club seating is on the drawing board for the next 5 to 10 year plan.
I agree. Stadiums half the size of JTS have press boxes/skyboxes that span the length of the field. Even in the MAC.
Ours looks like a high school structure.

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Did we just not extend Campbells contract last season, and this year ponied up another 1.5 million for assistance coaches. Are you saying we should be go out and offer 7 to 10 million for a head coach? Right now, Free Rents at Iowa is making 4.7 million, Campbell after 3 at ISU is making 4.0 million.
Do you think Campbell if he would leave, is because we are under paying him?
For those that think its unnecessary to build the press box, where should that money be spent then?
We have added to the South Endzone,
We have built a new weight room., locker room and coaches offices.
We are building the new nutrition center and academic center.
We have built the bb complex or practice building.
We have built a new track and softball fields.
We have widened the areas on both the east and west side of JTS.

So what would you build next if not a press box, with premium seating and boxes?

Well, let’s see.....maybe pay off the loans or build cash??? Keep the powder dry so when we need to fight we can do that. Blowing your wad nonstop is not the greatest course to take.

The coaching carousel is always going. If Campbell would leave or a couple big assistants, then we may need to go after new guys and they don’t get cheaper every time.

Learn to relax and enjoy a few years before this stuff may happen.

Last edited:

CYCLNST8

Jul 19, 2008
Urbandale
www.gimikk.com
BS, some schools are going to fill those other 6 slots, do you really think that say OU and UT go to the big 10 the SEC, ACC and Pac 12 are not going to also expand? It will be a feeding frenzy by the other conferences to get the best remaining schools.

ISU is an AAU school, that will mean something to the Pac 12, we are a large land grant university, not a small private college. Our attendence in football would have put us 8th in the big 10, right behind Iowa. Our men's and woman's basketball teams attendence were both in the top 20 last year.
If the conference goes tits up, ISU has a lot to offer a difference conference. Is it really better to be in Lubick Texas or Morgantown WV. The rape culture at Baylor? The middle of nowhere Manhattan Kansas?

Here’s how Armageddon would play out:

Sooners & Cowboys to the SEC
Texas Independent/ACC (like Notre Dame)
Kansas & Colorado to the B1G
PAC replaces Colorado with Tech & stays @ 12

No Power 5 is interested in Baylor, West Virginia, TCU, Kansas State, or ISU. But I’m not worried because the Big 12 is the best home for all parties involved. And I believe Oklahoma, Texas, and our future television/streaming partners are beginning to realize that as well.

Last edited:
  • Dislike
Reactions: SEIOWA CLONE

Ace000087

Jun 10, 2008
Fort Worth, TX
www.f35.com
Here’s how Armageddon would play out:

Sooners & Cowboys to the SEC
Texas Independent/ACC (like Notre Dame)
Kansas & Colorado to the B1G
PAC replaces Colorado with Tech & stays @ 12

No Power 5 is interested in Baylor, West Virginia, TCU, Kansas State, or ISU. But I’m not worried though because the Big 12 is the best home for all parties involved. And I believe Oklahoma, Texas, and our future television/streaming partners are beginning to realize that as well.

Here's how I'd want it to play out:

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State to the PAC16. Solves thier money issues on the west coast. Tex-homa 4 join up with Arizona, Arizona State, Colorado and Utah for thier East division.

Kansas and TCU to SEC. Missouri gets their rival back in the SEC West, Texas A&M wouldn't complain since it's not Texas. TCU would be the Vanderbilt of the SEC West. Alabama and Auburn get moved to the East.

West Virginia to ACC. With Notre Dame full time. Pitt gets thier rival back in WVU.

Iowa State and Kansas State go to the B1G West, joining Nebraska, Iowa, Minnesota, Wisconsin, Illinois and Northwestern.

Baylor goes to the AAC to be rivals with SMU and Houston.

Expand playoffs to 8 and have auto bids for the 16 team conference champions regardless of record. Win and you are in, just like basketball. Have 3 wildcards for runner ups and G5 teams.

Help Support Us

Become a patron