Purdy out of bounds play

coyoteclone

Jan 7, 2009
That play cost us a shot at winning in OT.....Tech had no time outs left before that play. He stays inbounds, we run another 30 seconds or so off the clock before we kick the fg that tied the game. There would have been about 30 seconds on the clock when Tech ran their first play.
Not saying we would have won in OT, but at least we would have had a shot at winning the game in OT.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
But it’s a tough call on running the clock down there. We had no guarantee we’d make the field goal. With a minute left and two TOs, we still had time to get the ball back if the kick was missed or blocked.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
But it’s a tough call on running the clock down there. We had no guarantee we’d make the field goal. With a minute left and two TOs, we still had time to get the ball back if the kick was missed or blocked.

yes, the smart play here would have been to not rely on one of the most consistent kickers we've ever had, and instead a defense (who got torched all game) to make a big stop so we have a slight chance at getting it back and retrying that exact same field goal once we miss the initial one.......

jimlad needed?

Cyclad

Apr 12, 2006
That play cost us a shot at winning in OT.....Tech had no time outs left before that play. He stays inbounds, we run another 30 seconds or so off the clock before we kick the fg that tied the game. There would have been about 30 seconds on the clock when Tech ran their first play.
Not saying we would have won in OT, but at least we would have had a shot at winning the game in OT.
Sadly, this is true.
The FG before half time was a killer too. Horrible, horrible defense on that drive.

• Winner
Reactions: Macloney

cyfanatic13

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 19, 2008
I agree that Purdy staying in would've been the smart play, but he was trying to get the first down first and foremost, and as a result got pushed out of bounds. He didn't go out on purpose. If Purdy went down in bounds on purpose, and we lose in OT, there'd be posts ******** that Purdy should've tried to get the first down instead of going down

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011

I can all but gurantee Tech would have not needed to punt in their last possession.

BoxsterCy

Staff member
Sep 14, 2009
Minnesota
I agree that Purdy staying in would've been the smart play, but he was trying to get the first down first and foremost, and as a result got pushed out of bounds. He didn't go out on purpose. If Purdy went down in bounds on purpose, and we lose in OT, there'd be posts ******** that Purdy should've tried to get the first down instead of going down

Truth. We lost by 3 points. You can pick over a dozen plays where better individual execution would have flipped that score. It's always the last "But what if!" play that gets attention.

The only thing we can't blame is the penalty reviews. They didn't **** those up at all which was pretty amazing. Given the usual WTF rulings on reviews we might have lost by two scores.

Reactions: acqflisu

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
Just jumped on for the first time and the first things I see is “manning is a liability” and “purify should had stayed in bounds”.

This is the second consecutive road game where the defense was horrendous. They nearly gave up 500 yards to WV and they allowed 529 to Tech. You’re not going to win games within a defense like that.

The biggest question about this team is why the defense is struggling on the road?

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
yes, the smart play here would have been to not rely on one of the most consistent kickers we've ever had, and instead a defense (who got torched all game) to make a big stop so we have a slight chance at getting it back and retrying that exact same field goal once we miss the initial one.......

jimlad needed?

The smart play would’ve been for our play calling to be focused on getting the TD to begin with. We seemed content to settle for a field goal.

Running the clock down when we had to still score to get the tie? We did that against Baylor and I hated it then. Of course that two pt conversion was lower % chance then the field goal, but I’ve been a Cyclone fan too long to consider any field goal automatic. I Can’t really blame Brock in this situation.

knowlesjam

Oct 21, 2012
Papillion, NE
Just jumped on for the first time and the first things I see is “manning is a liability” and “purify should had stayed in bounds”.

This is the second consecutive road game where the defense was horrendous. They nearly gave up 500 yards to WV and they allowed 529 to Tech. You’re not going to win games within a defense like that.

The biggest question about this team is why the defense is struggling on the road?
The defense is certainly starting to see the injuries pile up...you had several, including McDonald, Vance, Uwazurike, etc. spend at least part of the first half off the field. Given that Rose is playing hurt, you have nearly half the defense not playing at 100%. Yeah, I know, folks need to step in, but it showed with the lack of pressure on a freshman QB and failure to stop the run. Put two TD's up on Tech and that QB starts to press and make mistakes.

Gunnerclone

Jul 16, 2010
DSM

But we already know the answer to that question. Our corners aren’t very good. That’s why we’re discussing other things.

Reactions: quasistellar

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
The defense is certainly starting to see the injuries pile up...you had several, including McDonald, Vance, Uwazurike, etc. spend at least part of the first half off the field. Given that Rose is playing hurt, you have nearly half the defense not playing at 100%. Yeah, I know, folks need to step in, but it showed with the lack of pressure on a freshman QB and failure to stop the run. Put two TD's up on Tech and that QB starts to press and make mistakes.

The 'depth' angle strikes out again.

The dropoff is significant.