Purdy out of bounds play

Didley

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 19, 2019
Its tough to second guess those last 3 plays after a very well put together drive to milk the clock and leave TT with no timeouts. We nearly threaded the needle perfectly. Brock is too much of a competitor not to at least try for the first down. In hindsight, could he have tried to cutback or pump fake? Maybe, but he also could have fumbled or something worse. I think using the sideline and doing your best to get the first was a perfectly acceptable choice in the situation. Purdy has made lots of worse decisions in his career. This wasn’t one.

Reactions: Cyclones1969

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
Let's not forget that Purdy muffed a throw to a WIDE OPEN Jared Rus in the endzone. Can't say we were just playing for a FG.

• Agree
Reactions: Tornado man

cyclone1209

Nov 5, 2010
Denver
I don’t disagree. Was bad clock management all around. Defense should’ve made a stop though. Which I guess they kinda did? Didn’t anticipate Tech making the greatest college kick of all time though.
Hindsight is totally 20/20, but we should have gone for the win down there on 4th and short. Tough call to make though. I wanted to see us go for it b/c our defense and defensive backs specifically had no answer all day.

IASTATE07

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 30, 2016
I didn't get to see the play but running out of bounds doesn't matter that much anyways. I was watching another game and a guy went out and they start the clock after they get the ball set.

The clock stops in the final minutes. I think Brock went out at 1:05 and it stayed there til Mevis kicked.

SolarGarlic

Jan 18, 2016
The clock stops in the final minutes. I think Brock went out at 1:05 and it stayed there til Mevis kicked.

Stops under 2 minutes of each half. I'm surprised how few people understand this rule.

Hindsight is easy. We have fans saying we didn't try hard enough to score, and we have fans saying we should've run the ball on 2nd down to milk the clock. It's difficult to balance the strategies, and I won't crucify the staff or players for not hitting every scenario in that type of situation. It's annoying how many people treat giving up a 62 yard FG as a breakdown in game management.

CloneIce

Apr 11, 2006
Candidly we should have ran the ball on 2nd down. The incomplete pass on 2nd was just as big as 3rd down running out of bounds.

No, no, no. We should have been playing for the TD and the win, not the FG for the tie.

usedcarguy

Apr 12, 2008
Ames
I don’t think anyone is saying Brock is perfect, he makes bad throws he makes bad decisions

but the rancor he gets from some of this fan base is down right stupid

I don't disagree, and I didn't mean to make it an indictment on Brock. My point is that these threads often oversimplify that which they see as the "problem." If he makes that throw, most of these coach firing threads never get started.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
The smart play would’ve been for our play calling to be focused on getting the TD to begin with. We seemed content to settle for a field goal.

Running the clock down when we had to still score to get the tie? We did that against Baylor and I hated it then. Of course that two pt conversion was lower % chance then the field goal, but I’ve been a Cyclone fan too long to consider any field goal automatic. I Can’t really blame Brock in this situation.

Exactly. Wasn't trying to be too big of a smart ass there, but that whole drive strategically by coaching and players was off. Play to win the damn game, we had all the momentum, get into the endzone, or find a way to kick with much less time on the clock.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
Amazing kick, the kicker, and the play by their QB, they deserve the win.

I guess it just sucks that it reinforces being an ISU and our mentality. The second they got the ball back I already had the feeling they'd get into FG range, then they didn't even really get into range, and they made it anyway, which I wasn't surprised.

I just hate always feeling like we are going to screw things up before they even happen just to watch it predictable happen over and over again.

cyclones500

Jan 29, 2010
Michigan
basslakebeacon.com
I wanted to use shorter middle-of-field passing, or safe Purdy scrambles -- we had 3 timeouts and had momentum, vs. aiming for end zone shots. We could always settle for FG anyway, after getting into Mevis reliability zone.

I wanted to go for the TD instead of tie, but also could imagine a game-ending INT and I getting too aggressive or "desperate" for 7 might have spelled doom right there. I wasn't confident in overtime anyway, might have just delayed the result.

As others stated already, several strategies were in play at the time, and having to dig out of the hole the entire second half -- playing with fire.

rochclone

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jan 28, 2009
I didn't get to see the play but running out of bounds doesn't matter that much anyways. I was watching another game and a guy went out and they start the clock after they get the ball set.
Under 2:00 minutes in each half it stops until the next snap.

cyatheart

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 18, 2008
There were 50 other mistakes in this game that were way worse

Cyhig

Nov 29, 2017
The defense is certainly starting to see the injuries pile up...you had several, including McDonald, Vance, Uwazurike, etc. spend at least part of the first half off the field. Given that Rose is playing hurt, you have nearly half the defense not playing at 100%. Yeah, I know, folks need to step in, but it showed with the lack of pressure on a freshman QB and failure to stop the run. Put two TD's up on Tech and that QB starts to press and make mistakes.
Then our depth at defense isn’t as great at we thought it was apparently

isucy86

Apr 13, 2006
Dubuque
Stops under 2 minutes of each half. I'm surprised how few people understand this rule.

Hindsight is easy. We have fans saying we didn't try hard enough to score, and we have fans saying we should've run the ball on 2nd down to milk the clock. It's difficult to balance the strategies, and I won't crucify the staff or players for not hitting every scenario in that type of situation. It's annoying how many people treat giving up a 62 yard FG as a breakdown in game management.

This is probably the biggest rule error. About every weekend it seems a player makes the effort to stay inbounds outside 2 minutes to keep the clock running.

Not limited to players, I've heard a number of announcers misspeak on this factor in clock management.

I guess old habits are hard to break.

AlaCyclone

Jun 14, 2007
But it’s a tough call on running the clock down there. We had no guarantee we’d make the field goal. With a minute left and two TOs, we still had time to get the ball back if the kick was missed or blocked.
Actually, with only two timeouts, they would have killed the clock. Using the timeout a few plays before was also part of the bad clock management. Oh well. It is what it is, and we have way more positie things from Purdy than negative things like this, so I am not going to nit-pick. My guess is that he has been coached up about it already.

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron