Random Thoughts 18: The Year of Fire

BCClone

Well Seen Member.
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 4, 2011
Not exactly sure.
Looking through my parents' stuff, I found a couple of my dad's receipts for college tuition. Tuition was 60-some dollars a semester.
I have my ubill from a semester in 92 or so.

Also, I saw that a friend of my kid got inducted into the cardinal key club (thinking it is not a JC key club) at ISU. I remember sitting in a group and the 3 or 4 of us were told we all received this certain honor. One asked how we could get it when we didn’t apply and none of us knew what it was. We were told they applied for us. Must have been a pretty special group when you don’t even know you are a member and what it’s about.

• Funny
Reactions: jcyclonee

jcyclonee

Apr 12, 2006
Minneapolis
I have my ubill from a semester in 92 or so.

Also, I saw that a friend of my kid got inducted into the cardinal key club (thinking it is not a JC key club) at ISU. I remember sitting in a group and the 3 or 4 of us were told we all received this certain honor. One asked how we could get it when we didn’t apply and none of us knew what it was. We were told they applied for us. Must have been a pretty special group when you don’t even know you are a member and what it’s about.
Sitting in a group? Sounds like a key club.

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
My wife signed up for the thing where they scan your mail and then email you pictures. Friday was a cluster you know what, my son had a birthday card not scanned, I had a business letter that I think is fairly important not show up, and we received a crapton of other peoples mail (none of the other peoples stuff was in our scans). Fridays are awful for us, must be a sub driver, because I have twice in the last few weeks came home with the mailbox wide open, and once I saw letters across our lawn, the other time was later and I saw nothing.

Other RTTers, I suggest you sign up for the scan notice from the USPS, you will get ill seeing how bad the postal carriers are.
I may have already told this story.

One spring morning last year I got up before dawn to take daughter on two college visits. I looked outside and could see the form of some guy walking away from our grouped mailboxes with hands full of stuff. I grabbed my phone and followed him down the street as I talked to 911 about it. He was dropping open envelopes of stuff he didn't want definitely from my neighbors' mailboxes. I tried to stay back to not spook him, but he must have made me because when he turned the corner a block and a half from our house he disappeared.

I was pleasantly surprised that 2 squads showed up in the neighborhood trying to track down the thief. I thought for sure they would be like, "Stolen mail? We've got bigger fish to fry."

Moral of the story - never leave mail in your mailbox overnight.

Reactions: wxman1 and NWICY

VeloClone

Jan 19, 2010
Brooklyn Park, MN
Brother was driving back from Colorado with this 5th wheel toy hauler Friday. He usually takes the trip in one day when just driving the SUV but with the rig, he takes it in two. He stopped in Kearney for the night not long before I saw that the tornado had crossed I-80 outside of Lincoln about half an hour earlier. If he was driving his SUV he would have likely made better time against the cross wind and probably would have hit Lincoln around the same time.

• Wow
Reactions: NWICY and SaraV

SaraV

Staff member
Mar 13, 2012
Today was first day of the fiscal month, which is never fun, but it got to be even "funner". Major piece of software got knocked down by a corrupt file...a corrupt file that could have been avoided. Didn't get rectified until around 11A. Still didn't get everything done we wanted to get done, and we'll have to start back up tomorrow.