Sandler in Des Moines tonight

NorthCyd

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 22, 2011
We went to the show. Pretty good. Lots of good stuff but unfortunately some dumb stuff too. Rob Schneider was kinda lame. The Kevin James stuff was pretty good though. Loved the Chris Farley memorial.

However I give an nice solid D to the traffic control around the arena. Some of the the worst I’ve ever seen.
Yeah, don't ever park in the arena lot. If you are willing to walk a few extra minutes you'll have zero issue getting out.

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
We went to the show. Pretty good. Lots of good stuff but unfortunately some dumb stuff too. Rob Schneider was kinda lame. The Kevin James stuff was pretty good though. Loved the Chris Farley memorial.

However I give an nice solid D to the traffic control around the arena. Some of the the worst I’ve ever seen.

Rob Schneider had like two funny moments and then has been the coattail guy for decades.

There's an interview on Conan from maybe 10 years ago with Sandler, Norm, etc. and Rob is like the kid who isn't getting enough attention at the dinner table.

Last edited:

madguy30

Nov 15, 2011
He's layed out some bad movies in 20 years, but he still owns some of my personal faves:

- I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry, Mr. Deeds, Happy Gilmore (my personal favorite), and Billy Madison. Uncut Gems was really good too.

After Water Boy I think I was pretty much spent with 'Sandler' type of comedies.

He thew together some duds but he kept cranking them out because they still made plenty of money and it's always been cool how he would get his friends in there.

NoCreativity

Nov 12, 2015
Des Moines
Why people park in the main lot for big events is beyond me. There's about 10 other places you can easily get out of if you want to walk 5 minutes instead of 3.

I usually park across the river and walk over the bridge, it's no time at all to get out after an event.

CY88CE11

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 25, 2012
The Des
I'll echo some thoughts already stated. Sandler was good. Schneider was weird. First joke was something about "Scamdemic", and shortly later made an immigrant joke. The yokels around us were jacked up and annoying the rest of the night. James was fun, bongo performance was pretty great. About a hundred random short songs from Sandler. Same juvenile humor I grew up with and loved.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
I have heard Sandler is a good guy. I do like some of his movies, not all of them. He's well connected in Hollywood and is making bank with his production company.

Most people don't know that Sandler (in his very early days) was on the Cosby show as one of Theo's friends. He really took off when he got to SNL.

Big_Sill

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 4, 2008
I'm the exact age where I should absolutely love Sandler, and I did when I was younger. I look back at those movies and skits now and they just aren't funny, probably never were. Happy Gilmore is the exception.

Sorry #GetOffMyLawn

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013
Show ended around 10. Fun show, Schneider and Kevin James were special guests. Ended with Farley tribute and wife tribute with a version of the grow old with you from Wedding Singer.

It was worth it to see a guy in person that through comedy albums and movies that greatly impacted my life from childhood to now.

I was there as well and basically sitting right across from you. I was pumped when Schneider was announced onto stage but he wasn't funny at all which was pretty disappointing. All in all I thought the show was a lot of fun I was just thrilled to be able to see a comedic icon of my generation live. So much mindless stupid humor which I absolutely love.

Last edited:

BillBrasky4Cy

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Dec 10, 2013

Never park by Wells Fargo Arena. Never! Grab a street spot or park in a ramp a few blocks south or west of the arena. When you leave head west and get on 235 at Keo and you will zip right out.

ISUTex

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
May 25, 2012
Rural U.S.A.
He's layed out some bad movies in 20 years, but he still owns some of my personal faves:

- I now pronounce you Chuck and Larry, Mr. Deeds, Happy Gilmore (my personal favorite), and Billy Madison. Uncut Gems was really good too.

You forgot Waterboy.

BigTurk

Dec 17, 2013
Wonder if he still sings the Chris Farley tribute. Would be worth going to his show just for that

He did and it was great.

$108? I loved his 90s and 2000s work but that seems very high for someone well beyond his prime. I fear there will be lots of open seats if that’s the get in price.

The place was sold out. I was surprised.

Overall the show was ok, but I left wanting more.
The opening comedian was fine. Schneider's stand up was terrible. Just unfunny. Though when he came out at the end to sing he was amazing.
The Kevin James appearance was the highlight.
Sandler was on for almost two hours, so props to him, but I think he could have shortened it by about 30 minutes and it would have been better. And no Thanksgiving song a week before Thanksgiving (my wife was pissed about not hearing the Hanukkah song)!

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron