Suggestion for ISU Ath Dept marketing team

besserheimerphat

Apr 11, 2006
Mount Vernon, WA
Music for sporting events needs to be easily digestible. Has to have a beat that people can clap/jump to and a simple/catchy melody. It doesn't have to be good music that stands on its own outside that experience. Think "butt rock." Some of you guys are like:

Like I get that you have critical taste in music, but read the room/stadium/coliseum. People want to have fun.

Reactions: NWICY

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
What's the story behind 'Won't Back Down'. Haven't heard this being used, and just wondering the context. Doesn't seem like a song for a stadium. I almost looked to see if it was a different song with the same name until I saw Tom Petty's name posted in the thread.

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
What's the story behind 'Won't Back Down'. Haven't heard this being used, and just wondering the context. Doesn't seem like a song for a stadium. I almost looked to see if it was a different song with the same name until I saw Tom Petty's name posted in the thread.
They tried to make it a thing after the 3rd qtr of fb games. If winning they played wont back down. If losing they played living on a prayer.
Lasted a season or 2 maybe.

CycloneRulzzz

Gameday Guru
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Jul 13, 2008
Nevada, IA

That's technically now a Florida tradition. They started doing that at Florida football games because Petty is from Gainesville.

• Winner
Reactions: isufbcurt

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
While it would absolutely blow the roof off of Hilton to have a well timed Redfoo performance(especially if it was a surprise), a one-time performance would be just that.
What we really need is someone who has a better feel for the moments of the game to keep the crowd involved. The other night when the crowd was chanting Juicy Wiggle they played a song that was borderline a ballad.

Our beloved Hilton is well below the line when compared to the atmosphere of other venues.
It’s not the poor music selections, the band playing the same out of date songs year after year or the fans staying in their seats(or not in their seats because they’re spending too much time in Johnny’s), it’s how all of these compliment each other and we’ve got to find a way to improve.

Last edited:
Reactions: isufbcurt

CYdTracked

Mar 23, 2006
Grimes, IA
I think we first played it right after Tom Petty died and can't remember who the opponent was but I remember it being a close game. I think the lyrics fit our FB team mentality perfectly and glad it had hung around after the 3rd quarter. @CascadeClone we still played Won't Back Down this past season so we have not stopped doing it. It's a huge improvement from playing Sweet Caroline at that spot. Long time ago we played Jump Around after the 3rd quarter. Seems like no matter what we've done there someone doesn't like it.

cytor

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 20, 2011
If you are gonna do halftime right, you bring in an amazing beloved artist...... Weird Al

• Wow
Reactions: pourcyne

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
They tried to make it a thing after the 3rd qtr of fb games. If winning they played wont back down. If losing they played living on a prayer.
Lasted a season or 2 maybe.

They are still playing Won't Back Down.

Farnsworth

Apr 11, 2006
Des Moines, IA
I think we first played it right after Tom Petty died and can't remember who the opponent was but I remember it being a close game. I think the lyrics fit our FB team mentality perfectly and glad it had hung around after the 3rd quarter. @CascadeClone we still played Won't Back Down this past season so we have not stopped doing it. It's a huge improvement from playing Sweet Caroline at that spot. Long time ago we played Jump Around after the 3rd quarter. Seems like no matter what we've done there someone doesn't like it.

Jump Around at least pumps the crowd up. Everyone just gets out of sorts because other schools do it too.

pourcyne

Feb 19, 2011
Why does this thread remind me of the ad for Rexulti to put the kicker on one's antidepressant drug?

Hot damn, people. Go pee. Eat a hot dog. You don't need a g-damned halftime show.

hot damn.jpg

• Disagree

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
Attempted to acknowledge as much. The videos from UT game that CW and Stanz shared essentially looked like a stadium moving slightly and students jumping a bit.

I think the thought is that it translates to ppl watching from a far. I'm reporting it doesn't. I love it developed organically and not trying to alter or say it's dumb.

VT sandman for instance cones through. I see it and can feel it by watching. Night WVU was the only time I remember "feeling it" as an out of state TV viewer.

You just posted a video of nothing but jumping around a bit.

The crowd in the building loves it, hell the student section booed loudly when it didn't get played on a long time out. Sandstorm from a few yrs back was good but this group of students dont love it.

Juicy Wiggle during time outs and Sweet Caroline after big wins and 98% of the fans in the stadium will be happy.

NWICY

Sep 2, 2012
I get that it is a tradition at this point. Question is really more about what inspired it in the first place. Seems totally random and such an obscure song.

The game I remember was a TX FB game we scored the PA played Juicy a couple plays later we got a Int PA came right back in with more Juicy and the stadium went bonkers. Other people referenced the OSU (?) game so I won't argue with them.

Reactions: cyclonestunners

jsb

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 7, 2008
I get that it is a tradition at this point. Question is really more about what inspired it in the first place. Seems totally random and such an obscure song.

They play lots of songs and this one was just one they happened to play at a great time and it became a big deal to the fans.

I'm almost positive that Juicy Wiggle was played before the infamous West Virginia game that we all talk about (the benefits of being someone that will watch old games occasionally), but the moment was perfect. If they had played another song at that time, we'd probably all be talking about that song and not Juicy Wiggle.

thisISnextyear

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 29, 2007
Ames
Is anyone else watching the KU vs Kentucky game in 4k? The last timeout Kentucky just played Turbulence and another similar “hype” song for the duration of the timeout and the band didn’t play at all.

And another full timeout with music bumping. This time it was our guy Redfoo and the song Ridiculous

Last edited:

Latest posts

Help Support Us

Become a patron