Tailgating TV/Media Setup Recommendations

SideProjects15

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Sep 21, 2011
WDM
Has anyone had luck with just a TV antenna? The Cyhawk game is on ABC so I was thinking of trying that out for that one.

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
Call the Satellite City guys. I did earlier this week because we needed to set up our own DISH-TV account (no longer just adding it to a friend's account). They were great. Told me exactly what to do. We already had all the hardware. Helped me figure out the right DISH package. Gave me the number to call with DISH to activate. We are up-and-running!
I agree, I got some of my equipment from them initially and they were great to work with. They signed me up for my first DISH TV account. I'm guessing that Winegard makes the DISH portable automatic satellite antennas as they look identical and Winegard holds the patents.

https://www.satcityinc.com/outdoors/

Cycsk

Year-round tailgater
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 17, 2009
I agree, I got some of my equipment from them initially and they were great to work with. They signed me up for my first DISH TV account. I'm guessing that Winegard makes the DISH portable automatic satellite antennas as they look identical and Winegard holds the patents.

https://www.satcityinc.com/outdoors/

The few clicks of the Winegard automatic device finding the satellites is a sweet sound. So much better than me cursing the sky with a manual device that can't find the satellites!

• Winner
Reactions: aauummm

CyVeteran

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Nov 8, 2006
I have a King Tailgater with 2 Dish receivers if you want it. I don't have much use anymore and don't use Dish Network. It always worked great for TV tailgating.

How much?

CascadeClone

Oct 24, 2009
Disagree. We hated trying to find the satellites. Our DISH Tailgater automatic dish was a game changer!

That's fair, a lot of people have terrible trouble with the aiming, but I never did for whatever reason. I think it helped being from CR, my altitude on the dish didn't need changed. So it was just a matter of rotating left/right and then done.

• Informative
Reactions: aauummm

aauummm

May is National Walking Month
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 29, 2007
I get around
The few clicks of the Winegard automatic device finding the satellites is a sweet sound. So much better than me cursing the sky with a manual device that can't find the satellites!
Man, you said it! When Winegard came out with that portable automatic satellite dish in 2011, I jumped on it. DISH TV didn't have theirs available yet (Winegard invented it and beat them to market) as I had checked with Satellite City in Ankeny about it. The 2011 tailgating season (and beyond) was heavenly with the new automatic satellite dish!

We were traveling all over the country and Canada in the RV so I had to set up that old manual satellite dish at every overnight stop. That meant looking up new bearings for the DISH satellite locations at each new overnight spot, adjusting the bolts to get the correct dish angles, using a compass to zero the dish in, weighing it down with bricks so that the wind wouldn't dislocate it, etc, etc. Sometimes it would take hours to get a good signal.

Last edited:
  • Agree
Reactions: Cycsk

Ingynow

RIP CHC
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 3, 2017
Omaha, NE
We use the Dish Tailgater and Hopper. RV service set up is great. I turn on service during football season and then shut it off when season is over. Put it back in its box until next year.

The Tailgater dish is awesome. Set it up, hit scan, it finds the satellites and you are watching games in no time.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
We are currently streaming via TMobile with 5G with no issues in the rv lots.
We are trying to figure out the best way to stream Gameday Saturday. That’s great to hear T-Mobile 5G worked well but nobody in our group has T-Mobile. Anyone with Verizon have success with 5G in the tailgate lots?

alarson

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Mar 15, 2006
Ankeny
We are trying to figure out the best way to stream Gameday Saturday. That’s great to hear T-Mobile 5G worked well but nobody in our group has T-Mobile. Anyone with Verizon have success with 5G in the tailgate lots?

Verizon goes to **** pretty quickly in the lots. From my phone I'm not sure they've lit up the 5G in that area yet.

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
Verizon goes to **** pretty quickly in the lots. From my phone I'm not sure they've lit up the 5G in that area yet.
My hope is Gameday is early enough that it’s before the network slugs as more people get to the area. Not a big deal if we lose it but we are hoping to watch 90% of it from our parking spot and swing over to the set for the rest.

Icky_Mettle

SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Oct 19, 2006
Ames
How easy is it to pick up ABC in the tailgate lots on antenna?

It's easier now since it's simulcast on 5.5 now, I was able to pull it in this weekend from G7. The antenna I used is the link below, I had it sitting on the fence by the practice field.

Reactions: Triggermv

CysRage

Oct 18, 2009
How easy is it to pick up ABC in the tailgate lots on antenna?
I never had luck however, I know a lot more about TV OTA now then I did the last time I tried to pull in WOI Over the air.

You must have an antenna that supports Low V signals (very rare signal) AKA Lo VHF. Secondly, a powered antenna amplifier is a must. Thirdly, if you aren’t pulling in the channel you want with the automatic channel search, enter the digital channel manually on your TV (5.5 for WOI) in the channel search. I have found the automatic channel search doesn’t find it but if you manually enter the channel then it will pick it up.

tec71

Apr 11, 2006
Ankeny, Iowa
My brother uses a deep cycle marine battery and an inverter. Works great. this year he switched from sat to OTA but I don't know which one he got. the OtA worked ridiculously well last Saturday.

Reactions: Candide

Candide

Jan 4, 2020
Livin the Moon Times
My brother uses a deep cycle marine battery and an inverter. Works great. this year he switched from sat to OTA but I don't know which one he got. the OtA worked ridiculously well last Saturday.

Deep cycle RV or marine and a decent inverter would be less than $200 and dead quiet. The $200 would also cover a plastic marine battery box.

NotJustMagic

Mar 16, 2009
Central Iowa
Bumping this - We been using a tailgating auto-dish w/ direct tv setup for the past few years and had no issues. FIL bought a new RV and got sold on a wineguard wifi dish and pushed towards streaming everything. Also - directv subscriber is cutting the cord so lossing that box. Anybody have luck w/ streaming through wineguard direct or t-mobile, etc? I know verizon is not an option. I saw there were quite a few wineguard options friday night. I also saw a starlink setup and was curious how that was working out.

I'm having the RV shop mount our previous dish this week, as a backup, but would love to be able to stream on all 4 of the tv's.

Anybody else making changes?

Ingynow

RIP CHC
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 3, 2017
Omaha, NE
I use the wineguard pathway x3 with wally receiver and it has worked flawless for 3 years. We had 2 people around us with Starlink and I asked them about it. They said it has worked great for every game so far. I would like to move to Starlink, but the $600 hardware cost is holding me back a bit. Dish is only costing me $130 a month during football season.

CycloneBax

Nov 9, 2006
Ankeny
Interested in the Starlink and I currently have Dish w/tailgater setup.

When I look at Starlink website it doesn't show availability in Ames or Des Moines. I'm wondering if that's because you need a zip code where they are currently selling, but if you buy the RV package you can use it in the area.

The $600 hardware seems low cost vs. an Apple IPhone.

Even a Dish receiver + tailgater has to be close to $450.

It's the monthly cost that would bother me if I had to have 1 for the house and 1 to tailgate with.

Ingynow

RIP CHC
SuperFanatic
SuperFanatic T2
Aug 3, 2017
Omaha, NE
If you watch FB marketplace and Craigslist, you can get into Dish for $200-$300. I bought the Wally and our winegard pathway x2 from two separate people and spent $300.

If you get the RV service for Starlink, you can suspend it when you don’t need it like you can Dish service. And from what I have read, you will always get service if you have the RV package, it just may be a downgraded service if you are in a high use area. That is what worries me as more people get it. Will you still be able to use it if there are a lot of people in RV village also trying to use it?

We will probably stick with Dish this year and maybe upgrade next year as they get more satellites up.

Reactions: CycloneBax